Lower league bargains

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

"We go with what we've got" is creeping ever closer....It's only a matter of time before a dejected Slav mutters those words sadly.

Hasnt the signing of these European players youve never heard of got a whole lot more difficult due to Brexit

The truth re United is that we've had an internal war between the club and senior management since the Prince became sole owner. He wants a continental approach with more delegation, whereas CW et al wanted to be the power brokers who applied the agreed budget as they saw fit - taking advice that THEY thought valuable.
In the end a compromise was made in which a transfer committee played a big role in our signings after the Prince got sole ownership.

All members of the committee presented lists of players and votes were had.The observant would have seen this evidenced in the online fans forum when the Bogle signing and how it happened was brought up in some detail. Suffice to say, the signing was originally vetoed by the transfer committee but pushed through due to Wilder crucially persuading certain resistant committee members.
It's my understanding that the transfer committee is now dominated by the administrative side of the club, with the football staff under Wilder on the committee not being replaced by a similar number of football staff.
There is an erroneous perception that the Prince is a quasi dictator: he isn't, he believes in delegation and empowers these people.
Moving to any director of football or administrative dominated route on the sporting front, means that the staff you have need to be really good. We are going to get a good picture of their competence in the next week or so. The most interesting aspect for me is whether we are continuing with the same model (young players on low wages with resale value), but just applying it in a different way. The link to high cost loans would suggest not.

And if this is correct then there’s no bloody wonder it takes forever to get anything done. Too many cooks, simple as that.
1…2 people in charge of the playing side need to identify targets, not god knows how many all battling to have their voices heard and get their own way.

Nobody can work under that system, one person needs to be responsible not every man and his dog. Then if it fails you bin off the one who failed.
It really is very simple.

Manager says…I need a midfielder who can open up teams, and we have £5m to spend. Go find and report names back to me to look at. And so on and so on….that’s scouting. The manager then personally looks at the suggestions and makes the decision who he wants. That’s how it should be done.

If we don't cherry pick up and coming talent from the leagues below now then we never will. Even once the parachute payments come to an end, if a lower league club has a player we're interested in and they want anywhere between £2m - £5m we won't be able to pay it despite those fees being a pittance in football these days.

We've never paid those sorts of fees while being a Championship and League 1 club in the past and we certainly aren't doing it now while we're still fresh out of the Prem and like I've already said even more unlikely when the parachute payments cease.

Alarm bells rang straight away for me as soon as it was mentioned (it may have even been before last season had finished) we were only going to be signing loan players, it just didn't make sense and still doesn't now as a strategy?

Who'd have thought it,
43 years ago we were so far advanced that we got the first South American playing in this country and helped broker the deal to take Ossie Ardilles and Ricky Villa to Spurs (Because of course we couldn't afford them)

Now, if a player comes from any further away than fucking Mexborough we haven't a clue and our fans look on him as a suspicious foreigner

Back
Top Bottom