Len Badger

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

One for Silent. My cousin took me to a game at Bramall Lane in the early-ish seventies. Gets a bit hazy, was either Birmingham or Blackburn I think we won 3_2 but can remember Badge setting off on a run towards Bramall Lane and smashing one in from a distance.

I'm in tears! What a player and a Blades legend.

The TC of the back 4.

RIP Len and thank you so much for the memories.
Exactly the same

gutted

my first season was the 1970 Promotion season and anyone who started their Utd journey watching that team in that era will never ever know how blessed we were

Len was just cemented in all our hearts as part of that wonderful time

RIO Mr Badger - and thank you

RIP Len Badger you graceful, skillful, classiest of right backs and the only possessor (and master) I ever saw of the sliding tackle where you slid in, got the ball, stood up and launched an attack, not once, but regularly.

😢
Exactly this. Two other skills that used to amaze the schoolkid version of me were his ability to curl a pass down the wing to Alan Woodward, where it looked as if the ball might conceivably go out, but in fact swung around the defender; the other was the pass hit over the head of the defenders for Woodward to run on to. The ball was hit with backspin and instead of going out for a goalkick, as the defenders thought, it would hold up, like a golf shot on the green, leaving Woodie to collect it and cross. It used to make me laugh with pleasure.

I think I've got something in my eye .....

Hero of mine, a footballing full back. Yardstick even. Defend first but play the ball out, no hoof with this man.
I had a letter in the Green 'un Tell it to Tony column. Praise for Badger.
Just after his testimonial, me and my mate were collecting autographs on John st and pounced on him. All his gifts etc went flying - twats, the pair of us - including a couple of tickets for next home game. Badge gave them us.
Saw him at Chesterfield in the friendly couple of back nearly. "Proper full back, 'im" told my son.
RIP Len. Wish I still had them tickets.

Awful news .

One of my all time favourite Blades players and the best slide tackler I ever saw , as well as being a thoroughly nice bloke on the several occasions I met him .
Yes that’s how I remember len with beautifully timed slide tackles and coming away with the ball under control. RIP
Condolences to his family and close friends .

RIP Len , a true stalwart of our club, so sad to hear of his passing. The player i wanted to be when i first started watching as it was my position. The goal from near the half way line against ipswich i think , magical
Re-living that goal now, over and over. Siling down and I'm stood next to the tunnel, John St terrace.

I was too young to properly understand what a great player he was but find silverfox description of him as 'the TC of the back 4' absolutely perfect, as the reaction of the crowd when TC and/or Badge was on the ball was very similar. Confidence and anticipation that something good was about to happen. It generally did.

He played against us (Whitley Hall) for a Dronfield cricket team circa 1977 ( you'll maybe know which one Silent Blade?). I was scoring and can remember he opened and hit 51 with my Dad saying ' hardly a surprise he's good at cricket as well..!'

The only time I ever met him, in the posh seats in 2011, we swapped a few memories and the glint in his eye was as memorable as the hearty slap on the back he gave me as we separated.

RIP Badge.
Coal Aston (Stonelow Fields upper), Dronfield Contact (Stonelow Fields lower) or Dronfield Woodhouse (Carr Lane)? Apperknowle and Hundall are the other two near Dronfield I can think of

As a mark of utmost respect, could the no. 2 shirt be retired for the next season ?

One for Silent. My cousin took me to a game at Bramall Lane in the early-ish seventies. Gets a bit hazy, was either Birmingham or Blackburn I think we won 3_2 but can remember Badge setting off on a run towards Bramall Lane and smashing one in from a distance.
4-0 win against Blackburn in Nov 1969? See from 3 mins 33 secs in below video

Back
Top Bottom