Leaders

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ThatJa

Bigger Blade than United's Arab Emirate
Reaction score
Wilder was really big on having leaders in the dressing room, rather than one captain that leads from the front, and I think this was part of the reason he had so much success during his spell.

Does anyone else worry that we no longer have as many leaders now? Apart from Egan and Norwood nobody really stands out as a leader where as before you could consider, JOC, Sharp, Stevens, on top of the two I mentioned above.

IMO Egan is not the captain we need at present. His form has "dropped of a cliff" since being made team captain. He does not appear to inspire or instruct on the pitch. Obviously I don't know of his contribution in the dressing room but it looks increasingly like a "promotion" to captain was an expedient to keep him on side & not one born of rational thinking. If Anel is the problem then we should see more of Egan putting him straight ( in the Tony Adams / Graeme Souness mould) . Can't imagine either of those two putting up with the performance on Sunday.

Agree with the poster, with so many new and young players coming through we are definatly going to miss players like Sharp in the dressing room,
But lets face it, just now it's all about money .... 👍

IMO Egan is not the captain we need at present. His form has "dropped of a cliff" since being made team captain. He does not appear to inspire or instruct on the pitch. Obviously I don't know of his contribution in the dressing room but it looks increasingly like a "promotion" to captain was an expedient to keep him on side & not one born of rational thinking. If Anel is the problem then we should see more of Egan putting him straight ( in the Tony Adams / Graeme Souness mould) . Can't imagine either of those two putting up with the performance on Sunday.
You don't know his contribution in the dressing room but you have concluded that it was a gesture rather than based on Merit...

You don't know his contribution in the dressing room but you have concluded that it was a gesture rather than based on Merit...
I'm not bothered about his contribution in the dressing room, I'm bothered about it on the pitch. His form has dipped alarmingly and to me he doesn't look like the leader of men thst we need.

The OP is spot on, we need more leaders. I think Baldock and McBurnie would have made a difference on Sunday but its no surprise that the top teams over the years have had hard as nails centre backs and central midfielders who demanded the best from all around them.

At the minute we seem to have soft as shit players in those 2 positions.

You can shout, scream, delegate and show passion, but if you're crap or out of form, who's going to follow you or be inspired?
That's why George is the biggest leader we have.

On camera he almost comes across as shy (and I would rather a vocal player on the pitch) but as far as consistency, energy, aggression, talent and the will to win goes... I think he's one of the best I've seen in my lifetime.

edit
I want the leader of my team to epitomise the character my team shows as well.

I'm not bothered about his contribution in the dressing room, I'm bothered about it on the pitch. His form has dipped alarmingly and to me he doesn't look like the leader of men thst we need.

The OP is spot on, we need more leaders. I think Baldock and McBurnie would have made a difference on Sunday but its no surprise that the top teams over the years have had hard as nails centre backs and central midfielders who demanded the best from all around them.

At the minute we seem to have soft as shit players in those 2 positions.
This 100% the whole lead by example goes straight out of the window. Then you have physical leadership, each manager is different in how they delegate this down however he must want to be captain unless being the side-show to Billy makes others not listen as much?

Norwood is a pointer not a leader ,players ignore where he points to. To lead you have to lead by example.
They got rid of the captain and kept an aging Norwood and Fleck who can't compete against PL opposition they could have been sold to save their wages for another player.

Last edited:
You can shout, scream, delegate and show passion, but if you're crap or out of form, who's going to follow you or be inspired?
That's why George is the biggest leader we have.

On camera he almost comes across as shy (and I would rather a vocal player on the pitch) but as far as consistency, energy, aggression, talent and the will to win goes... I think he's one of the best I've seen in my lifetime.

edit
I want the leader of my team to epitomise the character my team shows as well.
baldock should be made captain immediately egans not the man for the job who knows his form may improve without the captains armband

Definitely make Baldock captain. He and McBurnie would have made a big difference on Sunday.
Baldock is just as useless, got ripped by grealish, stood still against Everton too, were just not fucking good enough, simple as that. If people think George Baldock is the answer that exactly sums up where we are at.

McBurnie and Baldock are absolutely leaders out there. I think Souza will also develop into one, once he becomes more confident in his role.
You can edit Souza name out of there now 😂

Sharp was worth another year, even if he never set foot on the grass!!
Look at the players were wasting money on that are injured, and his value becomes even greater!

I think the talk of leaders/who should be the captain is another argument that is someone clutching at straws why we are not doing very well.

Wearing an armband should not be the only reason you can lead/talk/inspire.

As boring as it is, we just do not have the players that are good enough.

Back
Top Bottom