Latest Wilder interview

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Leeds are a bigger club than us, much bigger. In my lifetime they won the league more than once and played in the Champions League, got to the final of the European Cup. I hate having to write this but it’s true.

Wolves were chosen following in depth research and the fact they had made a profit in the previous season (good for subsequent investment without breaching FFP) and probably other factors I’m unaware of made them an attractive investment. By proper businessmen who actually know what they’re doing.

Villa - see Leeds.

Bournemouth- got lucky. Maxim Demin moved to Sandbanks, got Eddie Mitchell, the owner of Bournemouth and local builder/developer to build his house. Mitchell got him interested in Bournemouth.

Boro, Derby, Bristol, Brighton - local people made good. Like KM but much richer. More luck than anything else.

Forest - won leagues and European Cups. In my lifetime. Still getting publicity because of Clough.

Fulham - London. Same as QPR but Khan knows what he’s doing.

Huddersfield - not sure tbh.

Wednesday- Mandy did it for profit, I don’t think he threw money at them, just sorted out the clusterfuck and sold them on to bloke with money but no football knowledge. See QPR.

Then there’s the stuff we don’t know such as how does our sponsorship income compare with other clubs, our income from corporate packages? Our STs are cheap as chips and have to be because otherwise our supporters couldn’t afford them. Sheffield is low income. That’s the bottom line. No competent businessman would look at either Sheffield club and think ‘this is a good investment’ unless they’re buying it out of admin. That’s why the pigs got Chancer and we got Poundland; because only a fucking idiot would think it’s a good investment. We don’t need ‘investors’ we need a benefactor. A very rich one.

It's going to have to be McCabe but richer, actually McCabe is loaded (a few years back he sold some of his business for £850 million) but frugal, so McCabe but with looser purse strings.

The trick is getting to the Prem. Man City's season tickets start at £300 ish, but they can afford that because of the TV money even before the ridiculously wealthy owners.

The ideal scenario would be McCabe (and The Prince) get us up, sells us to a rich fan (who's not stupid) who doesn't mind losing money for a few years, who then invests in the squad.

Not going to happen though. Maybe if I win the Euromillions and then put it all on a 200/1 bet and win.

Leeds are a bigger club than us, much bigger. In my lifetime they won the league more than once and played in the Champions League, got to the final of the European Cup. I hate having to write this but it’s true.

Wolves were chosen following in depth research and the fact they had made a profit in the previous season (good for subsequent investment without breaching FFP) and probably other factors I’m unaware of made them an attractive investment. By proper businessmen who actually know what they’re doing.

Villa - see Leeds.

Bournemouth- got lucky. Maxim Demin moved to Sandbanks, got Eddie Mitchell, the owner of Bournemouth and local builder/developer to build his house. Mitchell got him interested in Bournemouth.

Boro, Derby, Bristol, Brighton - local people made good. Like KM but much richer. More luck than anything else.

Forest - won leagues and European Cups. In my lifetime. Still getting publicity because of Clough.

Fulham - London. Same as QPR but Khan knows what he’s doing.

Huddersfield - not sure tbh.

Wednesday- Mandy did it for profit, I don’t think he threw money at them, just sorted out the clusterfuck and sold them on to bloke with money but no football knowledge. See QPR.

Then there’s the stuff we don’t know such as how does our sponsorship income compare with other clubs, our income from corporate packages? Our STs are cheap as chips and have to be because otherwise our supporters couldn’t afford them. Sheffield is low income. That’s the bottom line. No competent businessman would look at either Sheffield club and think ‘this is a good investment’ unless they’re buying it out of admin. That’s why the pigs got Chancer and we got Poundland; because only a fucking idiot would think it’s a good investment. We don’t need ‘investors’ we need a benefactor. A very rich one.
Forests owner also owns Olympiakos Piraeus and is despised by their fans who view him as crook that is only interested in money.

It will be interesting to see how things turn out at Forest, as all the Greek Olympiakos fans think he's only using them as a laundry.

We shall see, but chances are that if they don't go up they'll be back under transfer embargoes before you can say efcharisto poli

BushBlade has covered everything I was going to say, far more eloquently too, I might add.

The only thing I've got to add is that like Boro, Derby, Bristol and Brighton: Huddersfield's owner is a local businessman too.

Plus Boro, Derby, Brighton, Leicester, Southampton etc. etc. have benefitted from having modern stadiums purpose built, which I doubt they've paid the going rate for. Mr. McCabe has maintenace and overheads on BDTBL that must be frightening.

In any business, it's difficult to step aside when you've been 'top dog', but some managers are 'moved upstairs' - Director of Football etc. Maybe that could be the solution? K. Mac steps aside and becomes 'Lifetime Chief Executive' or summat.

Plus Boro, Derby, Brighton, Leicester, Southampton etc. etc. have benefitted from having modern stadiums purpose built, which I doubt they've paid the going rate for. Mr. McCabe has maintenace and overheads on BDTBL that must be frightening.

In any business, it's difficult to step aside when you've been 'top dog', but some managers are 'moved upstairs' - Director of Football etc. Maybe that could be the solution? K. Mac steps aside and becomes 'Lifetime Chief Executive' or summat.

I think he would do that if he hadn't sold half of us to someone else.

We are somewhat attractive in the football world, whether that translates to the business world though I don't know.

McCabe wants us to be secure, of that I've no doubt, but he seems to have cocked it up with the Prince and having already been a picky sod, you know he'll be even pickier now when it comes to investment and ownership.

It's going to have to be McCabe but richer, actually McCabe is loaded (a few years back he sold some of his business for £850 million) but frugal, so McCabe but with looser purse strings.

The trick is getting to the Prem. Man City's season tickets start at £300 ish, but they can afford that because of the TV money even before the ridiculously wealthy owners.

The ideal scenario would be McCabe (and The Prince) get us up, sells us to a rich fan (who's not stupid) who doesn't mind losing money for a few years, who then invests in the squad.

Not going to happen though. Maybe if I win the Euromillions and then put it all on a 200/1 bet and win.
If they got us up, they wouldn’t have to sell. The better scenario is that we sold now, because we need the money now, to get up. But not one billionaire Blade has raised his head above the parapet and said ‘sell the club to me FFS’. Which makes me think there aren’t any.

Forests owner also owns Olympiakos Piraeus and is despised by their fans who view him as crook that is only interested in money.

It will be interesting to see how things turn out at Forest, as all the Greek Olympiakos fans think he's only using them as a laundry.

We shall see, but chances are that if they don't go up they'll be back under transfer embargoes before you can say efcharisto poli
They won the league seven times in a row under him. WTF do their fans want?

If they got us up, they wouldn’t have to sell. The better scenario is that we sold now, because we need the money now, to get up. But not one billionaire Blade has raised his head above the parapet and said ‘sell the club to me FFS’. Which makes me think there aren’t any.

For shame.

Surely there has to be one? Haha...

I'll send Carlos Slim a new United kit and a link to our season review.

Good point though about time to sell, sell us in the Prem they'll want the equivalent of 15% of the rights deal for the next 5 years plus free Pukka Pies for life or something.

They won the league seven times in a row under him. WTF do their fans want?

Fair question that I can't answer, I just know that they despise him for being a crook.

I've never bothered enquiring what he's actually done to upset them, apart from finish 3rd last year behind AEK and PAOK ;)

Fair question that I can't answer, I just know that they despise him for being a crook.

I've never bothered enquiring what he's actually done to upset them, apart from finish 3rd last year behind AEK and PAOK ;)

It seems he has quite a history and a clever knack of being found not guilty.

The drugs allegations are still outstanding, I wonder how many Forest fans have looked past his investment and are a little less optimistic about their future?

Thank you Wikipedia

Controversy[edit]
Sports[edit]
On 21 February 2011, Olympiacos beat Panathinaikos in Karaiskaki Stadium (2–1), after a controversial, regarding the referee's decisions, game. After the game, player Djibril Cissé had a wrangle with Olympiacos' president Marinakis. He was beaten by Olympiakos' fans and stated that he was going to appeal to the UEFA. The case of Cissé and Marinakis went to the Greek courts,[59] where Marinakis was found innocent.[60]

In 2015, the Public Prosecutor[61] and the Council of Judges[62] acquitted Marinakis in relation to the Koriopolis match-fixing investigation, that begun in 2011, that was launched after UEFA gave Greek authorities a report citing irregular betting patterns, mostly involving Greek Cup and second division games in 2009 and 2010.[63] He was accused of participating in a match-fixing criminal network[64] with links with seven countries.[65] At the time, UEFA officials said no action was presently being considered against Olympiacos regarding its participation in the Champions League in the following season, because evidence in the Greek investigation cast no doubt over its 2010–11 league victory.[66] Marinakis was charged with complicity to commit acts of bribery and match manipulation,[67][68] of instigation and facilitating acts of violence.[69] Marinakis, along with the president of second-division club Ilioupoli, Giorgos Tsakogiannis and others, cooperated so that a group of hardcore Olympiacos fans would travel on 13 March 2011 to a third division match and provoke riots to bring about a penalty. The prosecutor’s report says that "Tsakogiannis informed [Ioannis] Papadopoulos that he had made arrangements and Evangelos Marinakis was aware of the plan for Olympiacos fans to cause riots".[69] Marinakis was acquitted from all charges by the Prosecutor, Panagiotis Poulios,[70] and the Council of Judges.[71]

In 2014, Marinakis was acquitted by the Three Members Court of First Instance relatively to the case of entering the referee's (Thanassis Yiachos's) locker room at halftime[72] during the football cup final between Olympiacos and Asteras Tripolis, against football regulations to complain about the decisions taken. Marinakis stated that he went to the referee’s locker room at halftime only to wish match officials "good luck". Olympiacos went on and won the match 3–1, after a tense 1–1 at halftime.[73] In 2015 Marinakis was also acquitted by the Three Members Court of Appeals for the same case.[74]

Another investigation which led to the 2015 Greek football scandal, started in 2014 after prosecutor Aristidis Koreas was given the go-ahead by a council of judges[75] to make use of secretly recorded phone conversations[76] that point to the involvement of various sports officials, including Evangelos Marinakis. According to Koreas, "the president of Olympiakos and close associates approached and tried to use policemen, judges, politicians and other powerful figures for their own ends as part of the planning and establishment of a criminal organization".[75] According to the prosecutor, Marinakis was helped by the President of the Greek Football Association, Giorgos Sarris, to choose specific referees to oversee key games.[77] He has repeatedly denied all charges:[78] "These allegations have nothing to do with me and have no effect on me whatsoever," Marinakis said. "There is not one shred of evidence against me."[79] On 3 October 2014, Aristidis Koreas, though he was replaced as athletic prosecutor, he remained on the case.[80] Evangelos Marinakis was questioned on 18 June 2015 and he was released on a €200,000 bail. He was also forced to stop being involved in any football activity, as well as he must report to a police station every 15 days.[81][82] In September 2016, the prosecutor proposed the imprisonment of Mr Marinakis.[83] In November 2017, the judicial council of the Court of Appeals rejected imposing provisional custody on Evangelos Marinakis and also dropped various charges after deeming them "absolutely groundless".[84] Marinakis was also resigned from president of the team due to legal reasons, giving his seat to Yiannis Moralis.[85] On March 26 2018, Marinakis was vindicated by the Greek Supreme Court. The decision of the Greek Supreme Court confirmed that the allegations against him were unfounded.[86]

Drug trafficking[edit]
In March 2018, Marinakis was charged with trafficking heroin by public prosecutor Irene Tziva. The accusations against Marinakis were described as "very serious charges" following a three-year investigation after the tanker Noor One was intercepted at the Greek port of Piraeus carrying 2.1 tonnes of heroin in 2014. He has also been charged with financing an illegal operation.[87]

Nottingham Forest F.C. chairman Nicholas Randall wrote an open letter to supporters reaffirming his support for Evangelos Marinakis. Randall confirmed the matter was under investigation but that “there is no ‘charge’ against Marinakis and no ‘prosecution’ is in process.”[88]

Just remind me. Where have we sold Brooks for £4 million and paid £4 million upfront for Egan. Seem to have missed that we have paid all the Egan money upfront but Brooks we are getting in instalments.

The media reports suggest we got £4 mil of the Brooks money up front.

Egan in stages but it’s still £4mil that has to be earmarked

The media reports suggest we got £4 mil of the Brooks money up front.

Egan in stages but it’s still £4mil that has to be earmarked
Yeah and we are getting £12 million for Brooks over same period of what we are paying £4 million for Egan. I really can't see how people don't get it!

The term would be "Honorary President" - never heard of a "Lifetime Chief Executive" tbh? The Chief Executive is the one held totally responsible for the success or failure of the business and is judged on results - so it's not usually a lifetime job.

Not a bad call, but I still wouldn't (and didn't) really think of him as a big 'marquee' signing.
I remember it well and I agree with you. He was more of a small "ridge tent" signing. And he only played for 45 minutes then he was done! :tumbleweed:

I did think about that but there's no reason Wilder shouldn't have just said that. He had the chance to.

It's an odd statement considering the previous talk of budgets and the brooks money:

'We don't have the finances to do anything permanent'.

...trouble at t'mill!?!?!?

As for the big signing you'd have to go back to Beattie and then Deane returning. I can't recall a signing at all that has made think 'Wow' since then. We got excited about signing Steve Kabba but he was a relative unknown to most.

United just dont do big money or signings of proven, top quality players that makes the football world think they are ambitious and mean business. I recall the commentator the other week when we lost at Boro taking the mick out of us that Ravanelli signed for Boro for 7 million in 1996 I think it was and that we have not signed anyone close to that or for more than circa 4 million back in 2007 (Beattie - dont believe Egan was 4 million - may be getting near that with add ons).

Even our rivals signed players like Waddle, Walker, Di Canio, Carbone over the years. Not that it's done them any good now but they have had some bums on seat signings.

Not sure whether we will ever in my lifetime go out and properly compete with these other clubs that are as Wilder puts it are in a different ball park or at a different stage to us. When we will be at this stage?
If anyone thinks either McCabe or the Prince when whoever gets some control will pump that money in or way off. Neither has done it so far. Notion that the Prince will suddenly inject millions if he gets control is fantasy for me. The ironic part is whoever gets control needs to do to find a new investor that is willing or able to take us to the stage Wilder says these other clubs are at.

I was reading Iain Porterfield's programme notes from an old programme. He was saying we had to sell Glenn Cockerill as we could not afford to keep him and then in another programme said we cannot spend large sums of money like the other clubs. I read the same from a Bassett article...then Warnock...then Steve Bruce...the programme notes could be taken from any time in the last 40 years and every manager says the same.

It seems like it is always this way with United and always others that for some reason can or will do it. I know crowd sizes dont matter in terms of income you can spend but gives a decent measure of club sizes....but be interesting to see say the average crowds since say 1990 of all UK clubs and their net outlay on players. I wonder where we would rank in comparison to others? Bet 40 clubs have a higher record signing than us.

Frustrating that there is always an excuse why we don't push the boat out...we dont have it, we can't threaten the future of the club, we need to be sensible, we need to build slowly...whilst ever we think like this there will be clubs like Wolves, Villa, Boro, Fulham etc who will do it and get back to the top flight.

I think this season will be an excellent season to match last year but at some point we have to push on from the likes of Donaldson or McGoldrick who are mid table champ players at best. We are essentially looking to get other Champ teams reserves as they sign better players (Hogan and Johnson). Not sure this strategy will lead to a concerted top 6 push but I don't blame Wilder.

Say we do finish 10th or even a but higher I am not sure how the board expects Wilder to get us much higher without serious investment.
Most bang on post I ever read on here. We have never been in a position to compete and without real investor, we never will. But WTF, we are the blades. That's why "think Liverpool" gave us such a hard on. Sadly. Goat fcukef again.

Steps aside in place of who?

A rich foreign investor who must see the Blades as an ideal investment opportunity? Better, surely than Forest, Wednesday etc? Ten acres of (largely unused) City-centre real estate? Up-and-coming area - Chinese Quarter etc? Up-and-coming team and manager? Great crowds? More-than-tidy stadium? In short, everything Wednesday haven't got. They probably won't come to us, but we should (if willing) do what Wednesday did with Howard Wilkinson - and scour the globe for people seeking a very promising chance to enter the very-lucrative area of English football.

Yeah and we are getting £12 million for Brooks over same period of what we are paying £4 million for Egan. I really can't see how people don't get it!

I get your point but the truth is we don’t know the terms of the deals for either player.

Let’s take the Egan fee out and the Brooks sake out.

That’s £2.5mil + £1mil I’m loan fees + £500k fines for not playing Woodburn + £500k in signing on fees (circa £4.5mil)

I reckon Wilder was given £8-£10 mil budget. (Let’s work with the higher end)

This leaves £5.5mil in the budget.

Wilder seems to fancy this kid from Borough and wants him on a loan/permanent in Jan. probably pay £2mil (maybe less).

That leaves £3.5mil which I don’t think is enough for a permanent signing of the standard Wilder claims to be looking for.

So his statement is probably true.

I get your point but the truth is we don’t know the terms of the deals for either player.

Let’s take the Egan fee out and the Brooks sake out.

That’s £2.5mil + £1mil I’m loan fees + £500k fines for not playing Woodburn + £500k in signing on fees (circa £4.5mil)

I reckon Wilder was given £8-£10 mil budget. (Let’s work with the higher end)

This leaves £5.5mil in the budget.

Wilder seems to fancy this kid from Borough and wants him on a loan/permanent in Jan. probably pay £2mil (maybe less).

That leaves £3.5mil which I don’t think is enough for a permanent signing of the standard Wilder claims to be looking for.

So his statement is probably true.

Nailed. It's a budget. The full cost needs to be taken into account. It's not hard to understand.

Given last year's documentary I'd have thought us fans would have understood the shit which goes on when signing a player. Clearly not given this thread and others.

Been in Whitby this week and spoke to a couple of Boro fans about Marvin J.

They reckon we should expect much from him, pretty average they said.

Just saying like.....

I think most of kev’s Money from the sale was in shares, which tanked not long after so £800m quickly turned in to a lot less and even less in cash he could pump in even if he wanted to.

Back
Top Bottom