Latest Wilder interview

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Home gates are 2000 down this season, If the third striker is Abraham -its a bit more exciting so maybe the 2000 will return

Got a feeling it could be Johnson and Ashley Fletcher - Wilder specifically mentioned both in the post Boro interview when talking about the talent they had got on the bench

Going on past history at SU, big signings hardly have any affect on gates.
Performance is the only thing that reflects the gates.

However, if pre-season we'd spunked 100m on new players, I'd guarantee that would also have a positive reflection.

Nicko continuing to spout his ITK crap without actually spouting anything.

Going on past history at SU, big signings hardly have any affect on gates.

To be fair, that's based on a sample size of about two. Brian Deane in 1997 and James Beattie in 2007. I'm struggling to think of any other genuinely 'big' signings* that we've made in the last 60 years. Possibly Vinnie Jones in 1990???

*Doesn't include players who later turned out to be great, and doesn't include veterans like Ian Rush, Peter Withe who were on their way down. I mean top, big-name players that even non-football fans might know about.

Nicko in 'we're looking at a few players' shock report.

Lazy twat. Annoyingly he's lauded as some sort of God by some on twitter.

Wolves were winning games, we've stuttered a bit, win more and the 50/50 fans will return. Also the away followings haven't been that good

To be fair, that's based on a sample size of about two. Brian Deane in 1997 and James Beattie in 2007. I'm struggling to think of any other genuinely 'big' signings* that we've made in the last 60 years. Possibly Vinnie Jones in 1990???

*Doesn't include players who later turned out to be great, and doesn't include veterans like Ian Rush, Peter Withe who were on their way down. I mean top, big-name players that even non-football fans might know about.

I was very excited by the signings of

Brian Howard
James Harper
Dean Hammond

☹️

Wolves were winning games, we've stuttered a bit, win more and the 50/50 fans will return. Also the away followings haven't been that good

The away followings have dipped a lot..last year fans were scrambling for away tickets and we were selling out. This year every game away has gone to general sale and none close to selling out. 1,500 avg I would guess?

Whether the novelty has worn off, the increase in ways you can watch, prices or whatever it is; it seems you can get a ticket away quite easily.

Surprised me a little.

With games at Bristol, Millwall and Blackburn in midweek to come don't see this trend changing. Demand may increase for likes of Derby, Forest and Rotherham after that I suppose.

The away followings have dipped a lot..last year fans were scrambling for away tickets and we were selling out. This year every game away has gone to general sale and none close to selling out. 1,500 avg I would guess?

Whether the novelty has worn off, the increase in ways you can watch, prices or whatever it is; it seems you can get a ticket away quite easily.

Surprised me a little.

With games at Bristol, Millwall and Blackburn in midweek to come don't see this trend changing. Demand may increase for likes of Derby, Forest and Rotherham after that I suppose.

I think prices probably are a big deal - our first four away games are all £30+ for an adult ticket.

Got a feeling it could be Johnson and Ashley Fletcher - Wilder specifically mentioned both in the post Boro interview when talking about the talent they had got on the bench

Its a puzzle why a rival would sell us 2 of theirs, maybe a tactic to keep us hoping till its too late, or for that matter why we would take to such unwanted players at this stage - leaving unsettled players at a rival cant be bad. A bigger PL name makes a bit more sense - even if the wages are over the top - would a flying Bolasie excite us and add 2000 to the gate and more? Wilder said he has the box striker, the linkup one and the Allrounder - maybe the 4th is speedy or targetman.

As for the big signing you'd have to go back to Beattie and then Deane returning. I can't recall a signing at all that has made think 'Wow' since then. We got excited about signing Steve Kabba but he was a relative unknown to most.

United just dont do big money or signings of proven, top quality players that makes the football world think they are ambitious and mean business. I recall the commentator the other week when we lost at Boro taking the mick out of us that Ravanelli signed for Boro for 7 million in 1996 I think it was and that we have not signed anyone close to that or for more than circa 4 million back in 2007 (Beattie - dont believe Egan was 4 million - may be getting near that with add ons).

Even our rivals signed players like Waddle, Walker, Di Canio, Carbone over the years. Not that it's done them any good now but they have had some bums on seat signings.

Not sure whether we will ever in my lifetime go out and properly compete with these other clubs that are as Wilder puts it are in a different ball park or at a different stage to us. When we will be at this stage?
If anyone thinks either McCabe or the Prince when whoever gets some control will pump that money in or way off. Neither has done it so far. Notion that the Prince will suddenly inject millions if he gets control is fantasy for me. The ironic part is whoever gets control needs to do to find a new investor that is willing or able to take us to the stage Wilder says these other clubs are at.

I was reading Iain Porterfield's programme notes from an old programme. He was saying we had to sell Glenn Cockerill as we could not afford to keep him and then in another programme said we cannot spend large sums of money like the other clubs. I read the same from a Bassett article...then Warnock...then Steve Bruce...the programme notes could be taken from any time in the last 40 years and every manager says the same.

It seems like it is always this way with United and always others that for some reason can or will do it. I know crowd sizes dont matter in terms of income you can spend but gives a decent measure of club sizes....but be interesting to see say the average crowds since say 1990 of all UK clubs and their net outlay on players. I wonder where we would rank in comparison to others? Bet 40 clubs have a higher record signing than us.

Frustrating that there is always an excuse why we don't push the boat out...we dont have it, we can't threaten the future of the club, we need to be sensible, we need to build slowly...whilst ever we think like this there will be clubs like Wolves, Villa, Boro, Fulham etc who will do it and get back to the top flight.

I think this season will be an excellent season to match last year but at some point we have to push on from the likes of Donaldson or McGoldrick who are mid table champ players at best. We are essentially looking to get other Champ teams reserves as they sign better players (Hogan and Johnson). Not sure this strategy will lead to a concerted top 6 push but I don't blame Wilder.

Say we do finish 10th or even a but higher I am not sure how the board expects Wilder to get us much higher without serious investment.

Surprised me a little.

Yes we brought 4,000 to Preston the weekend before Xmas in sub zero temperatures last season. And Sunderland away sold out before general sale. Not the same clamour for away tickets this season yet. But that could change.

Frustrating that there is always an excuse why we don't push the boat out...we dont have it, we can't threaten the future of the club, we need to be sensible, we need to build slowly...whilst ever we think like this there will be clubs like Wolves, Villa, Boro, Fulham etc who will do it and get back to the top flight.

The clubs you mention all have something in common - mega-rich owners whose wealth wouldn't be affected if the gamble didn't come off. We haven't and that's it.

One comment in that interview stood out. We don’t have the finances for a permanent deal.

We’re going to have to buy at least three strikers in the next year given the ages of our front three. So I really hope the owners get their arse in gear soon...

To go from 'hardly touched the Brooks money' and bidding for Waghorn and Freeman to 'don't have the finances to do anything permanent' with only a £2m deal for Norwood agreed in between is textbook brilliance and I have to give the club a lot of credit for that.

How it's left so late to reveal this is particularly clever because, as is perfectly evident on here, at this stage we can barely be arsed to notice let alone muster a complaint. The goalposts gradually shift and facilitate a smooth transition from high to low expectations.

To go from 'hardly touched the Brooks money' and bidding for Waghorn and Freeman to 'don't have the finances to do anything permanent' with only a £2m deal for Norwood agreed in between is textbook brilliance and I have to give the club a lot of credit for that.

How it's left so late to reveal this is particularly clever because, as is perfectly evident on here, at this stage we can barely be arsed to notice let alone muster a complaint. The goalposts gradually shift and facilitate a smooth transition from high to low expectations.
Tbh, a 4/5m deal for freeman, 6m deal for Waghorn is half the price Villa would want for Hogan and what Southampton allegedly want for Gallagher.

That statement completely depends how you read it and I'm not completely surprised that you've read it the way that you appear to have done

Back
Top Bottom