Kenny offered new contract

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

cooperblade

Reaction score
From the Yorkshire Post

By Ian Appleyard
SHEFFIELD UNITED have offered suspended goalkeeper Paddy Kenny a new deal at Bramall Lane.

Kenny is currently serving a nine-month ban from football after failing a drugs test at the end of last season.

His existing deal with the Blades is due to expire in the summer and there had been widespread speculation over his future.

Blades chairman Kevin McCabe and manager Kevin Blackwell have decided that they want to keep the former Republic of Ireland international and it is understood that the goalkeeper is also keen to stay.

The Championship club would have been entitled to sack Kenny in the wake of his drugs ban but finding a replacement of equal quality could have cost over a million pounds.

Talks have been on-going behind the scenes for months and a decision was finally reached this week to stick by the player.

Kenny, 31, joined the Blades from Bury on a free transfer seven years ago and has played a major role in the club's recent success.

His absence this season has been a major loss to the side and goalkeeper Mark Bunn, on loan from Blackburn Rovers until January, was recently axed after a string of poor performances.

The Football Association imposed a ninth-month ban on Kenny after he tested positive for the banned substance ephedrine following last season's Coca-Cola Championship play-off semi-final against Preston North End.

Kenny always insisted that he was not a 'drugs cheat' and blamed the presence of the banned substance in his body on a cough remedy that he had purchased from a High Street chemist.

Although the FA accepted that he had not deliberately gone out of his way to break the rules, they rejected his appeal against the ban last month.

Halifax-born Kenny is now having to train in isolation and cannot work with the Blades until his ban expires in April. He will be available for the final three league games of the season.

In addition to the ban, Kenny will also be the subject of target testing for the next two years.Veteran goalkeeper Ian Bennett, 38, will keep his place in the side for Monday night's South Yorkshire derby at Barnsley as the Blades look to end a run of four consecutive defeats.

Blades opt to stand by their man

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/Exclusive-Suspended-Kenny-offered-brighter.5801612.jp

Exclusive: Suspended Kenny offered brighter future after Blades opt to stand by their man with new deal

Published Date: 06 November 2009
By Ian Appleyard
SHEFFIELD UNITED have offered suspended goalkeeper Paddy Kenny a new deal at Bramall Lane.

Kenny is currently serving a nine-month ban from football after failing a drugs test at the end of last season.

His existing deal with the Blades is due to expire in the summer and there had been widespread speculation over his future.

Blades chairman Kevin McCabe and manager Kevin Blackwell have decided that they want to keep the former Republic of Ireland international and it is understood that the goalkeeper is also keen to stay.

The Championship club would have been entitled to sack Kenny in the wake of his drugs ban but finding a replacement of equal quality could have cost over a million pounds.

Talks have been on-going behind the scenes for months and a decision was finally reached this week to stick by the player.

Kenny, 31, joined the Blades from Bury on a free transfer seven years ago and has played a major role in the club's recent success.

His absence this season has been a major loss to the side and goalkeeper Mark Bunn, on loan from Blackburn Rovers until January, was recently axed after a string of poor performances.

The Football Association imposed a ninth-month ban on Kenny after he tested positive for the banned substance ephedrine following last season's Coca-Cola Championship play-off semi-final against Preston North End.

Kenny always insisted that he was not a 'drugs cheat' and blamed the presence of the banned substance in his body on a cough remedy that he had purchased from a High Street chemist.

Although the FA accepted that he had not deliberately gone out of his way to break the rules, they rejected his appeal against the ban last month.

Halifax-born Kenny is now having to train in isolation and cannot work with the Blades until his ban expires in April. He will be available for the final three league games of the season.

In addition to the ban, Kenny will also be the subject of target testing for the next two years.Veteran goalkeeper Ian Bennett, 38, will keep his place in the side for Monday night's South Yorkshire derby at Barnsley as the Blades look to end a run of four consecutive defeats.

Now on SSN, signed until June 2011

Makes sense reallly. Paddy has been a loyal servant to the club. He is probably the best keeper outside the premiership and arguably better than many in it.

I think we all took him for granted a little bit. He doesn't command his area (which is a problem) but everything else about his game is very good (ok, with the exception of distribution). I think having Bunn in goal has made us realise that we had a bit of a gem iin Kenny.

he made a stupid mistake and is now paying the price. But I think it's the right decision to stick by him and offer him a new deal.

:D the only reason he's been offered a new deal is because the replacement brought in is crap.

cheap as chips option AGAIN.

good thinking Beighton, what we should of done is not offer him a contract and then get another new keeper in.

good thinking Beighton, what we should of done is not offer him a contract and then get another new keeper in.

no............what we shud have done was brought in a decent replacement and told Paddy cherio ! .... instead its make do and mend till his ban expires.

no............what we shud have done was brought in a decent replacement and told Paddy cherio ! .... instead its make do and mend till his ban expires.
Well we've managed to keep one of the better keepers in the division for less money than he was on before.
Also a better keeper would cost us at least £2-3 Million. Why spend that when you already have a better option for considerably less.

Well we've managed to keep one of the better keepers in the division for less money than he was on before.
Also a better keeper would cost us at least £2-3 Million. Why spend that when you already have a better option for considerably less.

nowt.....................except the time span Paddy is banned.

Acyually, I like this particular bit of business, it just worries me that Bunn aint upto it and as much as I would like Bennett to be a success, he's not far off retiring.
We're just going to have to ride the storm til Paddy is allowed to play again. There's not many decent keepers around and Paddy is as good as we can get.

nowt.....................except the time span Paddy is banned.

I think the club and fans (including me) thought we'd brought in a decent replacement. It turns out he doesn't seem so, but hindsight is a wonderful thing and reminds us it's easy to sign an expensive pup.

Giving Kenny an extensions irks a bit given his stupidity (I really hope we haven't paid him during his suspension) but we've realised what we had when it went - and giving him a second chance might be the right thing to do.

UTB

Acyually, I like this particular bit of business, it just worries me that Bunn aint upto it and as much as I would like Bennett to be a success, he's not far off retiring.
We're just going to have to ride the storm til Paddy is allowed to play again. There's not many decent keepers around and Paddy is as good as we can get.

sadly this season is rapidly becoming just about staying in this division, so Bennett, though not top class, should suffice.

We might as well start building for next year now. The problem here is given his transfer record, it would seem silly to trust more funds to Blackwell, which raises questions about the time to get rid.

UTB

How much was Kaspar Schmeichel? Guessing not cheap (wages or fee), but good, young, and would have helped the defence this year and built for the future, which was what we were supposed to be doing before selling Walker and Naughton.

Not impressed - I haven't rated Kenny for a while so thought that the ban would be the end for him. :(

That said, he is a steady Championship keeper so he fits where we're at really.

Would hope that his wages are significantly lower than the demands he was making before, i.e. same money as current deal.

And I would hope that he is going to repay our loyalty by taking further cuts for the money we're wasting on him this season.

How much was Kaspar Schmeichel? Guessing not cheap (wages or fee), but good, young, and would have helped the defence this year and built for the future, which was what we were supposed to be doing before selling Walker and Naughton.
I would say he has done nothing to consider him any better than Bunn.

He cost County £1.5 Million upfront and he is hardly tearing up his league with his displays.

It may of been cheep as chips but loaning Bunn seems a smart move rather than buying him upfront.

Back
Top Bottom