Jostein Flo - your memories

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Kevin_Yahoo

Reaction score
Hello there.

I'm writing an article about Jostein Flo (it's a kind of Where Are They Now? thing) and I want to get fans' memories about him as a player. Any memories/stories you have - good or bad - please post them here. Doesn't even have to be a story/memory as such, could just be your general view on his time with the Blades. Especially good would be any personal memories you have of meeting him/seeing him around - stuff like that.

I'd want to use some of the your quotes for the article, which will appear on the Yahoo Football website next week. So if you don't want your comments to be used then let me know, and they won't be.

Cheers!
Kevin

196qxycq0lk1djpg.jpg

Great chant we had for him:
Jostein Flo's an inter-nash-a-nal

(repeat ad nauseam)

Yep, was the mould for Keith Lemon with the ever present wrist bandage.

Scored a winner at Liverpool one season - that was his finest contribution to comedy (Flo not Lemon)

Oh Dear Jostein Flo, we loved him so
He played for the Blades in Blighty
With a bandage on his wrist and the chances he missed
Oh Jesus Christ, Almighty

Wasn't Deano.

Which, indeed, was his biggest failing.

Arrived after Deano had broken the long held perception that being really tall meant you were pretty shit as everything but heading. Within one afternoon at Goodison Park we realised that Deano was the exception and Jostein was proving the rule.
He had a golden chance in the second half when he was 6 yards out and the ball at his feet and it became apparent he just didn't have the speed of thought or the skill to do anything about it. Dallied and the chance was gone, summed up his entire stint (a couple of decent headers aside) at the Lane.

Scored two at Liverpool that day. I'm sure Franz Carr set up one of the goals. One of them a bit of a fancy turn in front of the Kop.
It was a bit of a smash and grab if I remember correctly

Scored two at Liverpool that day. I'm sure Franz Carr set up one of the goals. One of them a bit of a fancy turn in front of the Kop.

The headline to that match was 'Early Rush gives way to steady Flo' which I thought was quote clever.

Didn't he score a fairly acrobatic goal v Leeds in Deano's 1st match back? I seem to remember we snatched a 2-2 draw from absolutely nowhere.

After he signed for us, I seem to remember Bassett trying to make out he was actually better than Deano.

He scored an acrobatic volley against Leeds and there was no instant cheer from the crowd because no-one could believe he had done it. I believe this has been covered before in a discussion on this site.

The only man who became smaller when he jumped up for a header

I actually liked Flo.. Maybe because I was young and he was an international (Norway were good at the time)

He did score 9 or 10 that season for a team that was relegated and he was an international so in today's market that's around the £7 million mark.

Wasn't there a chant...

Flo, Flo, Flo, Flo, Flo, Flo, Flo, Flo, Flo, Flo, Flo, Flo, Flo, Flo, Flo who needs Deano!? (To the tune of 'there's no limits')

Jostein Flo. The first player I ever got the name and number of on the back of my shirt, the classic/awful navy away shirt with purple/green diagonal stripe.

He was the replacement for Deano, but very much not Deano. He was effective if used the right way. I liked him, but can't actually think of any memorable goals of his that I saw live (though recall seeing the famous brace at Anfield on MOTD).

Didn't we end up selling him largely because his appearance total was reaching a point that an extra payment would have been owed to his old club?

I rated Jostein Flo, saw him score on his debut I think at Loftus Road, QPR had Trevor Sinclair making his debut, we lost 2-1 despite header from Flo.,would do a job now in DIv 3!

Scored in the infamous Chelsea 3-2 defeat at Stamford bridge in '94
Was overshadowed by Nathan Blake the following season

I think I'm right in saying he was the first United player to play in a World Cup finals (USA '94 - in all 3 of their games).

Not the best of strikers but as a few have said his finest hour as a Blade would have been scoring both goals in our 2-1 victory at Anfield in the run-in to the 1993/94 season.

Talking of Nathan Blake,he scored 34 goals in 69 matches for us,so we sold him to Bolton for £1.2m..
he later went on to hold the unenviable record of being relegated from the premier league 5 times..

Went to that game and it was a great day out. I agree it had the feel of a smash n grab victory. It was late on in the season (April?) and we weren't expected to win that game, tbh. I think it was the season we went down, but I could be wrong.

Jostein Wardrobe

The 2 goals at Anfield are what I remember ............

Back
Top Bottom