Incoming? Josh Maja

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Mate of mine is a Sunderland supporter and he used to say good things about him, he was quite a youngster at the time and he said he was pacey and strong.
If you watched this:
There's an episode about his departure from the SoL.

Could be wrong but I don’t think Maja is that quick is he? He’s got decent movement is technical and a good finisher but I’d really rather keep Mousset because I don’t want to see us sign anymore strikers who don’t have real pace. Burke/Mousset profile of strikers and hope you strike gold on one of them should be the policy for strikers from now on. If we’re in the market for another one for some strange reason then go back for Folarin Balogun.

A front three of Brewster, Mcburnie and Maja in the championship would be fucking lethal IMO.

A front three of Brewster, Mcburnie and Maja in the championship would be fucking lethal IMO.

My Sunderland supporting pal said this morning that Maja either scores, or it gets saved, because he very rarely shoots wide or over the bar, his aim is consistently between the posts.

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it said

Juan Mata

A swap for Mousset could work. Pretty sure he will be leaving (& probably to France) this Summer.
Thought the same. Maja seems to be struggling a bit, just two goals in 10 starts this season, no goals the last couple of months.

I think Mousset has also looked rusty when he's come on of late. Maybe that's to be expected though.

Maja looks tricky and a good finisher, but doesn't look to have great pace. Would he be too similar to Brewster in that respect? Like Mousset his work rate isn't supposed to be the best.

I don't think Mousset will stick around for the Championship anyway - but, if he did, I'd worry about how effective he would be without all of that space to run into in behind.

We'd be granted a lot more respect a level down & I imagine a lot of teams, particularly at Bramall Lane, would be happy sitting deep and forcing us to unlock them (hence why Duffy & Sharp types are so important).

My guess would be that we'd have enough with McGoldrick, McBurnie, Brewster & Burke down there but would maybe want one more physical option.

I don't think Mousset will stick around for the Championship anyway - but, if he did, I'd worry about how effective he would be without all of that space to run into in behind.

We'd be granted a lot more respect a level down & I imagine a lot of teams, particularly at Bramall Lane, would be happy sitting deep and forcing us to unlock them (hence why Duffy & Sharp types are so important).

My guess would be that we'd have enough with McGoldrick, McBurnie, Brewster & Burke down there but would maybe want one more physical option.

Do Championship defenders sit deeper as a general rule?

Is Moose really injured and subsequently unable to start or being lined up to swap with Maja and cash?

one would I assume like to go back to France and rumours of Maja being unsettled in France, also talk of us being interested.
May be rubbish but would not surprise me, dependent upon the amount of money or possible other play being discussed?

I think if I see another striker come through the door before we fix the big fucking gap we have at midfield.... I'll lose my shit.

wilders post match did talk about the complete lack of service to the forwards and quality on the ball.

So, I’m sure he must see the fucking huge gaping chasm in the squad - creative, incisive, quality, attacking midfielders of which we have zero (to be honest I’d take a midfielder who can control a ball at the moment.)

If he fails to address this again in the summer, he’ll cost himself a job here eventually. We’ve spent about 50p on creativity since we came up and this is the end result - we can’t just keep buying forward after forward with no one to pass them the ball.

wilders post match did talk about the complete lack of service to the forwards and quality on the ball.

So, I’m sure he must see the fucking huge gaping chasm in the squad - creative, incisive, quality, attacking midfielders of which we have zero (to be honest I’d take a midfielder who can control a ball at the moment.)

If he fails to address this again in the summer, he’ll cost himself a job here eventually. We’ve spent about 50p on creativity since we came up and this is the end result - we can’t just keep buying forward after forward with no one to pass them the ball.

I agree BiL. Whilst I remain and always will be a huge fan of CW and what he's achieved with the club and I acknowledge that every signing is a risk (obviously some work out better than others), I feel he made major errors in not recruiting a LCB (especially with JOC's injury being known) and an attacking, creative midfielder (especially with Freeman being allowed to leave).

At LCB, Robinson tries hard but simply isn't suited to a back 3 and ultimately doesn't appear to be good enough. Stevens isn't big enough to play there and Ampadu looks uncomfortable on the left. None of them are a patch on JOC defensively and none are willing/able to push-on to create overloads.

The lack of an attacking and creative midfielder is even more baffling. With only McGoldrick able to play there, CW's options are incredibly limited. Even John Swift, if he'd been landed, prefers to sit deeper.

The result has been CW desperately scrabbling around to find a selection that works - something he's not be able to do, even after 15 games.

Hindsight is obviously 20/20 but if the rumours are true that the majority of the summer budget went on Ramsdale at the cost of these other priority positions, it would appear to be a very poor decision, These glaring oversights will be key contributors to Utd losing their Prem status - I hope they don't also end up costing CW his job before he gets the opportunity to correct his errors.

chris says we dont have the quality and thats because weve bought championship quality paying championship salaries and just hoping it pays off it cant in the modern day premier league fill the side with championship players and thats where you end up eventually

We signed Luke Freeman. Didn't play him, and then loaned him out and didn't sign a replacement.

Nice one Chris.

ancientblade is spot on with his analysis of the situation. Championship next season with mostly championship quality players.
Only Egan, a fit JOC and perhaps Baldock (as a full back) and Berge are Premier quality.
With what we have currently it isn't as good a Team as we got promoted with.
If we aspire to being a Premier set up on and off the pitch big investment is required and it doesn't look as though the owner has it.
Settle for the Championship or sell the club on?

ancientblade is spot on with his analysis of the situation. Championship next season with mostly championship quality players.
Only Egan, a fit JOC and perhaps Baldock (as a full back) and Berge are Premier quality.
With what we have currently it isn't as good a Team as we got promoted with.
If we aspire to being a Premier set up on and off the pitch big investment is required and it doesn't look as though the owner has it.
Settle for the Championship or sell the club on?
I agree with what both you and ancient have said here. The hope is I think with signing young players that they’re starting from a higher base than the squad that took us through the divisions and so you can develop them to be better in the medium term. If I’m honest if things had gone well this season I think all but Ramsdale would’ve received the Bogle treatment and would’ve been allowed to develop at their own pace not as starting players but from the bench. In terms of infrastructure I can be done with modest funds at ownership there’s a reason those around the club talk about Burnley a lot as they did it. But they did have to drop and build a new core of the squad in the champ to achieve it.

Back
Top Bottom