Jordan Slew

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
I see he’s scored for FC Halifax today. They describe him as a mid-fielder. I checked his record - he’s now 28 and on his 16th club / loan! I notice there’s a Gilmour playing today for Halifax today - he’s not mentioned in their list of players. Anyone know if he’s the Gilmour who started with us then went to Tranmere and then Stockport?

I see he’s scored for FC Halifax today. They describe him as a mid-fielder. I checked his record - he’s now 28 and on his 16th club / loan! I notice there’s a Gilmour playing today for Halifax today - he’s not mentioned in their list of players. Anyone know if he’s the Gilmour who started with us then went to Tranmere and then Stockport?
He got bad advice from his agent in 2011, we got good money for him

He got bad advice from his agent in 2011, we got good money for him
I disagree. His agent probably advised him to grab the money while he can. I gonna guess he earned more in his "career" than the likes of Ironside and Whitehouse.

Could be argued that he got good advice. He got an early pay day and I can’t see how his career would have played out any different to how it has.
I disagree. His agent probably advised him to grab the money while he can. I gonna guess he earned more in his "career" than the likes of Ironside and Whitehouse.

He could have had a better career had he stayed with us

i didn't think i would see the name Jordan Slew again and how we 'mugged' another team for £1 million all those years ago.......after the £40 odd million we have paid for our current brilliant forwards!

I'd call that bad advice.
Depends on how you look at it. If Rankine looked at him and thought he wasn’t going to make the grade in the long term then why not get paid early as those pay days will dry up, as they evidently have?

Depends on how you look at it. If Rankine looked at him and thought he wasn’t going to make the grade in the long term then why not get paid early as those pay days will dry up, as they evidently have?

He'd been given a good opportunity to play in a L1 promotion push at 17/18 years of age. He was just getting game time, scored against Brentford and shortly after, sold to Blackburn. Barring a calamity, I doubt very much his value would've diminished from getting first team experience in a free scoring side.

Slew had looked really promising at the back end of the 10-11 season and the start of 11-12. He seemed as good a prospect as Harry Maguire did at the time.

I think if he'd have stayed with us his career might have turned out vastly different. He'd have certainly learned much more about football in our first team than sitting on the bench at Blackburn.

Slew had looked really promising at the back end of the 10-11 season and the start of 11-12. He seemed as good a prospect as Harry Maguire did at the time.

I thought they were very different prospects... One I expected to be top end Champ/lower half Prem (his speed and running style holding him back - seems it didn't :D) ... the other, pretty much how he's gone.

You failed to mention his 196 senior appearances,and measly 18 goals !
No wonder he's 'downgraded ' to midfielder!

He'd been given a good opportunity to play in a L1 promotion push at 17/18 years of age. He was just getting game time, scored against Brentford and shortly after, sold to Blackburn. Barring a calamity, I doubt very much his value would've diminished from getting first team experience in a free scoring side.

I’m still struggling to see how staying at United would’ve improved his footballing ability. There is a reason why he’s now playing at national league level and had more clubs than Tiger Woods.

I think if he'd have stayed with us his career might have turned out vastly different. He'd have certainly learned much more about football in our first team than sitting on the bench at Blackburn.

I think that if an opportunity comes along to get a hefty signing on fee and a sizeable wage/contract then I'd never criticise young players for taking it. Sure, agents push things but equally their job is to get the best deal (mostly financial rather than playing opportunities) for their clients.

We might see the same thing with Jebbison where he goes for a lot of money but never plays or goes on loan a lot. However would not criticise him for taking such a chance.

Look at the likes of Terry Kennedy and DDG in the same youth team. Both linked with big moves as kids. Kennedy was ranked as highly as Maguire but injuries mixed with their development not quite progressing means both prob by early 20s were out of the pro game and both probably now have normal jobs and have to work every day.

Who knows Slew could have got an injury and never played again if he turned the move down?

Yes he is still playing but that move/wage would have been huge financially for him and life changing.

Ideally you'd want players to develop and play games before they are ready for such moves but sadly money talks for the player, agent and clubs.

I always recall speaking to Colin Morris about how much he roughly got paid, signing on fees and the tiny amount he got for a testimonial after being loyal to SUFC (could have gone to Seville) and how it kind of broke his heart to push Lee his son to sign for Derby from United but he earned more from his signing on fee and in his first year at Derby than Colin earnt in his whole career.

Lee did get bad injuries soon after so was right to make such a move and set him up for life.

That would have been a great game to attend. Plot from a Hollywood movie!

Slew was a huge part of the successful youth team, the man utd youth (including Pogba, Morrison etc) were absolutely bossed by him in the cup final games.

It's a shame he went for the cash instead of the career, but I'd imagine he still drives a nicer car than me
Worked at his gaff at Norton last year , nice top of the range BMW so I’ll let you judge Nedski

i suppose in the cold light of day your only one game away from a career ending injury so you have to take the opportunities when they come , as quoted earlier in the thread Lee Morris a good example

I thought it was a no-brainer to go and give Blackburn a go. He was a young lad, bigger pay day on offer and probably backed himself at the time to get in their first team. Worse case scenario, a loan back to the level he was at but on (relatively) huge wages.

As it transpires things went a lot worse than he probably could have imagined, but he still made himself a wealthy young man and hopefully he saved / invested well and doesn't have to worry too much about a mortgage etc. Either way, I think if he was going to make it he would have done. Playing in our team wasn't going to be done magic formula.

We’ve all got a degree in hindsight

Harry took a similar route and look where he is now

As did DCL, and Adams

Slew having broken into our first team and then been headhunted by BB would have been full of confidence, he wouldn’t have predicted the decline of his career

Whilst I do agree that some players blossom at “the right club” (see Brewster & McB) and he may have kicked on with us

You also have to say given the opportunity to trouser enough to pay cash for your 1st home as a teen, possibly treble your wages and pay for a one time PL winner was too good an offer to turn down - would you?

We’ve all got a degree in hindsight

Harry took a similar route and look where he is now

As did DCL, and Adams

Slew having broken into our first team and then been headhunted by BB would have been full of confidence, he wouldn’t have predicted the decline of his career

Whilst I do agree that some players blossom at “the right club” (see Brewster & McB) and he may have kicked on with us

You also have to say given the opportunity to trouser enough to pay cash for your 1st home as a teen, possibly treble your wages and pay for a one time PL winner was too good an offer to turn down - would you?
Maguire was a bit different as he stayed with us for a few years to learn the trade in L1, DCL is a closer comparison as like Slew we flogged him after only a handful of appearances. Still, both ended up in the PL and England so both did the right thing for their careers.
Slew did much the same as DCL but ended up at Halifax- no telling at the time how things would end up but Slew arguably showed more in his time with us than DCL. I didn't think either would make the Premier League!

Back
Top Bottom