CONFIRMED John Fleck joins Blackburn Rovers permanently

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Foxy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Long-serving John Fleck has left the Blades on transfer deadline day.

The midfielder - a star of promotions from League One and the Championship - has joined Blackburn Rovers on a permanent deal.

Fleck, 32, a winner of a number of Player of the Year awards, registered his final Blades appearance in the December encounter with Liverpool.

The Scottish international was one of the first signings by Chris Wilder in the summer of 2016 and went on make significant contributions on the journey to the Premier League.

He made a total of 278 appearances for the Blades, scoring 16 goals in his seven and a half years with the club.

Best wishes, Flecky

Good luck Flecky lad, thanks for the memories.

Good move for him, been on a big wage for us as well

Good luck to the lad. Living legend who one day soon will be rightly perceived as one of the best midfielders we've ever had.

Him and Coutts!!!! Never give the ball away!

If we have nothing else, we'll always have that day in September!!

Hope that move is what he needs to rejuvenate his final chapter of his career. Undoubtedly went stale here.

What a bloody player he was on his day, certainly pre Covid. One of the best I’ve seen.

Genuinely sad about this. Obviously he's offered little in the last 3 years but whenever he did play it made me remember the good times. For those first 4 seasons he was probably the best midfielder I'd seen at United. Incredible to think that it was only 4 years we were genuinely worried he was going to Arsenal.

I wish he'd bowed out after his goal against Preston but I hope he shows enough at Blackburn that we see him in The Championship next season to give him a send off. I fear for him in a career sense as he hasn't been the same player for years now and his injury record is woeful but he's amazingly still only 32 so maybe there's some life in him yet.

Last edited:
Good move for him. Thanks for the memories.

What a great player. Genuine legend. Someone I enjoyed watching for so long. Never seemed to be any drama, just a proper player. Massive part of the “Wilder Years” (Part 1 🤞)

That (very slightly deflected) goal in front of the Kop against Preston in the promotion party last season was a great moment. I think most of us thought it was a perfect end/send off for him. This season was one too many, but it's been talked to death and not the time or place for that, and certainly not Fleckys fault.

Makes sense for all parties, but still sad to see the man go when its confirmed.

And for anyone wondering; Blackburn play them at home on Saturday 20th April: Go on Flecky, you know you want to 😊

When he smashed that free kick in against Wednesday I was in New York with work and had found a pub at the bottom of the Empire State Building.

Remember hugging this fellow Blade I’d never met before, whilst a handful of Pig fans looked on quietly.

He’s been with Wilder every step of the way.

Good luck John. You did great!

Good luck to the lad
I'll just remember him for the good times

I fear for him in a career sense as he hasn't been the same player for years now and his injury record is woeful but he's amazingly still only 32 so maybe there's some life in him yet.
My theory is he’s on a similar trajectory to Rooney (wasn’t he dubbed the ‘Scottish Rooney’ in early days?), in that they were both playing full-time senior men’s football from age 16. Similar body types, too. So he’s likely an “old 32” with about an extra 4 years’ worth of football in his legs than the average footballer of that age.

Proper legend though - since I started watching in the late 90s our central midfield has by and large been filled with limited triers, so it’s been amazing since 2016 to have it built around Fleck with his skill and cleverness, I don’t take that for granted. And it was great to see him peak in 2019-20 where he was genuinely one of the best midfielders in the country for a spell.

Back
Top Bottom