Player Suggestion Jay Rodriguez

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Better chance of getting McBurnie, IMO. On balance, factoring in cost of signing + wages, I think I'd sooner have McBurnie as well. Think he'll bring more value to the club over the long-term.

Agree. There is little or no resale value on Rodriguez.

McBurnie might cost twice as much in fees but less in wages and should retain or increase in value after 2-3 years

Rodriguez could be our Rob Hulse but we need to sign further quality to go up top with him I.M.O

As when we had Hulse he was our only main goalscorer and soon as he got injured we were stuffed.

Rodriguez would be a bargain at 5m and people saying about his wages jesus christ if we cant pay Rodriguez's wages we might as well not even bother.

Rodriguez could be our Rob Hulse but we need to sign further quality to go up top with him I.M.O

As when we had Hulse he was our only main goalscorer and soon as he got injured we were stuffed.

Rodriguez would be a bargain at 5m and people saying about his wages jesus christ if we cant pay Rodriguez's wages we might as well not even bother.

Agreed. The club need to step up and start acting like they belong in the Premier League...and to some degree, so do a lot of our support. Some people give up their interest in a player because they see that Burnley and Bournemouth are being linked with them?! These are the type of clubs United need to be beating next season in order to stay up.

Are you aware that Rodriguez is currently on ~double Utd's highest earner? Do you think there is a risk of disharmony if Utd bow to excessive wage demands from targets, as would have been the case with Jota, who by all accounts was seeking >50k/week? Of course there needs to be a significant uplift in order the attract the required quality of player but CW still has to work to a budget (one of if not the lowest in the division) and at the same time maintain the incredible togetherness he created amongst the group of players and staff. Salary demands such as Jota's, Allen's and, if he's not careful, Rodriguez's will instantly make themselves unobtainable.

But, on the flip, we're now premier league, and £50k is probably around the lower earners in the league.
If championship players are earning 40-60k, I think 50k is quite realistic in today's game, and if we can't pay that, then we might aswell aim for relegation next season.

2019 Active Roster

PLAYER (20)POS.AGE ANNUAL SALARYWEEKLY SALARY
Ben MeeD29 £2,860,000£55,000
James TarkowskiD26 £2,600,000£50,000
Chris WoodF27 £2,600,000£50,000
Steven DefourM31 £2,340,000£45,000
Joe HartGK32 £2,340,000£45,000
Tom HeatonGK33 £2,200,000£42,308
Ashley BarnesF29 £2,080,000£40,000
Ben GibsonD26 £2,080,000£40,000
Jack CorkM29 £1,976,000£38,000
Robbie BradyM27 £1,820,000£35,000
Aaron LennonF32 £1,820,000£35,000
Nick PopeGK27 £1,820,000£35,000
Matej VydraF27 £1,820,000£35,000
Ashley WestwoodM29 £1,612,000£31,000
Johann Berg GudmundssonM28 £1,560,000£30,000
Matthew LowtonD29 £1,300,000£25,000
Charlie TaylorD25 £1,300,000£25,000
Nahki WellsF29 £1,300,000£25,000
Kevin LongD28 £1,200,000£23,077
Adam LegzdinsGK32 £260,000£5,000
2019 Payroll Totals

I read that Burnley made a £45m profit in the last published accounts. If they can pay wages like this and also make a healthy profit, no reason we shouldn't be able to, except feeble minds.

2019 Active Roster

PLAYER (20)POS.AGEANNUAL SALARYWEEKLY SALARY
Ben MeeD29£2,860,000£55,000
James TarkowskiD26£2,600,000£50,000
Chris WoodF27£2,600,000£50,000
Steven DefourM31£2,340,000£45,000
Joe HartGK32£2,340,000£45,000
Tom HeatonGK33£2,200,000£42,308
Ashley BarnesF29£2,080,000£40,000
Ben GibsonD26£2,080,000£40,000
Jack CorkM29£1,976,000£38,000
Robbie BradyM27£1,820,000£35,000
Aaron LennonF32£1,820,000£35,000
Nick PopeGK27£1,820,000£35,000
Matej VydraF27£1,820,000£35,000
Ashley WestwoodM29£1,612,000£31,000
Johann Berg GudmundssonM28£1,560,000£30,000
Matthew LowtonD29£1,300,000£25,000
Charlie TaylorD25£1,300,000£25,000
Nahki WellsF29£1,300,000£25,000
Kevin LongD28£1,200,000£23,077
Adam LegzdinsGK32£260,000£5,000
2019 Payroll Totals

Get that Legzdins bloke in

I read that Burnley made a £45m profit in the last published accounts. If they can pay wages like this and also make a healthy profit, no reason we shouldn't be able to, except feeble minds.

There's no doubting that Burnley are a well run club but you are comparing apples with oranges. They are now an established Prem League side and have had the benefit of several years of tv money. Perhaps a better comparison would be with their first year in the Prem (how much did they outlay on transfers, what was their overall profit, what was their wage bill, what what their highest and average salary?). Maybe an even better comparison would be with Cardiff last season, whose average salary was <£20k/week. Those demanding an instant uplift to £50k/week are both unrealistic and likely to be disappointed.

Decent player, but an Ego and on crazy wages. Never going to happen.

Lowton only on 25k? Poor bastard. We should enquire.

I reckon he should be top of our list. First things first, let's stay in the EPL this season. Getting a proven EPL scorer for £5m, and subsequently having £15m or so to spare for midfield/defence, would probably give us the best chance of survival.

Even if we have to offer silly wages (for our squad), I say we do it. In the long run it could make us some serious bank with staying up, and i'd imagine he still has 3 years or so left in him

Unfortunately at the prices mentioned recently, we just can't spunk £12m on one player (McBurnie)... maybe in our second EPL season, but not right now.

There's no doubting that Burnley are a well run club but you are comparing apples with oranges. They are now an established Prem League side and have had the benefit of several years of tv money. Perhaps a better comparison would be with their first year in the Prem (how much did they outlay on transfers, what was their overall profit, what was their wage bill, what what their highest and average salary?). Maybe an even better comparison would be with Cardiff last season, whose average salary was <£20k/week. Those demanding an instant uplift to £50k/week are both unrealistic and likely to be disappointed.

Burnley's 2017-18 profit was down to two factors. Increased income because of their unexpectedly high finishing position (not repeated this season) and the profits on the sales of Michael Keane and Andre Gray (£30m of the profit was due to those two sales).

That would be impossible at United as any sale of a player here is immediately denounced as a lack of ambition. #weersmunnehgun

Are you aware that Rodriguez is currently on ~double Utd's highest earner? Do you think there is a risk of disharmony if Utd bow to excessive wage demands from targets, as would have been the case with Jota, who by all accounts was seeking >50k/week? Of course there needs to be a significant uplift in order the attract the required quality of player but CW still has to work to a budget (one of if not the lowest in the division) and at the same time maintain the incredible togetherness he created amongst the group of players and staff. Salary demands such as Jota's, Allen's and, if he's not careful, Rodriguez's will instantly make themselves unobtainable.

To be fair we cant have that mentality it is is what it is we are in the Premier League now.

There will be those earning more than others that is what happens when you have better quality players it is unavoidable.

As for Jota he is not worth 50k a week personally I dont get the obsession with him many of the Blues fans I know are not bothered If he goes.

Something has to give that is for sure and if we are to stay in this league we have to invest in quality and whether we like it or not the wages are gonna be far higher.

Agree. There is little or no resale value on Rodriguez.

McBurnie might cost twice as much in fees but less in wages and should retain or increase in value after 2-3 years

I would prefer McBurnie but as you say potential re-sale value might be a huge fee if he comes in and does brilliant for us.

Agreed. The club need to step up and start acting like they belong in the Premier League...and to some degree, so do a lot of our support. Some people give up their interest in a player because they see that Burnley and Bournemouth are being linked with them?! These are the type of clubs United need to be beating next season in order to stay up.

This negative defeatist attitude that some Blades have is depressing.

Another this is we should be positive if Bournemouth can find a good owner that is a billionaire that will help take the club forward and invest why cant we?

The only reason I think we haven't be taken over is the current powers that be being obstructive.

But Burnley were in the same position when they first went up as we are now. It feels.a.little to me like most of our fans are just accepting we cant compete with the might of Burnley and Bourmouth and this is a one year sight seeing trophy to the premiership.

The board and the fans need to grow.a.pair and stop making excuses. This.might be a once in a 20yr opportunity to consolidate in the premiership but we'll only do that if we give Wilder an opportunity to compete.

I'd go for Gayle over rodrigueez as well.

Looks smarter to me, maybe not as physical but a better player

Gayle's likely to cost much more though Blade67, according to reports this summer. £10-15m was mentioned, whereas Rodriguez is available at £5m - initially at least. Wages will be high for both by all accounts.

I'd go for Gayle over rodrigueez as well.

Looks smarter to me, maybe not as physical but a better player

No comparison to be made here. Completely different styles and physical attributes. Nothing alike and both good players in their own right. I would rather sign both than argue over which one of them is better.

No comparison to be made here. Completely different styles and physical attributes. Nothing alike and both good players in their own right. I would rather sign both than argue over which one of them is better.

I'd almost argue that if we could get them both for say £15million then that would be a far better use of our limited budget than paying the same price for Maupey or McBurnie on their own.

Gayle's likely to cost much more though Blade67, according to reports this summer. £10-15m was mentioned, whereas Rodriguez is available at £5m - initially at least. Wages will be high for both by all accounts.
Understood. I was just giving my opinion (not based on seeing much of either in truth), that Gayle was the better player of the two. Either would give us more options and make us better than last year

Understood. I was just giving my opinion (not based on seeing much of either in truth), that Gayle was the better player of the two. Either would give us more options and make us better than last year

Get both, they know each other well after last season and have premier league experience.

I'd liked both tbh mate! If I had to chose though, I'd prefer Rodriguez, but I'd prefer McBurnie over Rodriguez but can't see that happening sadly. I think we need a taller type who has some physical presence and Rodriguez would give us that. Gayle's a very good player though.

5 years in division one have made people think we are no bigger than bloody Rotherham and shouldn’t spend more that 100 k

Back
Top Bottom