It's a grumble!.... - South Stand ticket move & press box

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So has the club held seats back for those displaced or can we expect posts from new season ticket holders who have recieved letters saying there was a mix up and the seats they have bought were never available. Shit rolls downhill and it would be very easy to dump out new ST holders and move them to the Westfield corner. 🤔🤔🤔
I would be happy to move there from south stand tbh

Update on this...wont share everything as some of it would be unfair as it was a face to face meeting with the ticket office manager I had this afternoon after work. She was very up front and honest and did field everything I said. I will say she did not try and hide from what I had questioned and agreed they could have handled things better. She seemed genuine in realising they have upset a lot of loyal fans and seemed to want to try and help come up witb solutions moving forward.

She and many of the club officials have seen this thread as she mentioned seeing the outcry etc!!! So she and others may read but wanted to share a brief update as think it it important other fans know options and how they are dealing with it.

After she wanted to dicuss it with me in the reception area not in private (I know!) She allowed me in her office and we had a chat over my letter.

She said that the club had an inkling that it could happen but could not scaremonger fans and had to wait to see. I did ask why other ticket holder had not been moved (if new ones or shorter term ones) but she said all South Stand central/good seats are not new season ticket holders.

I did ask what would happen next season if we went down and they had a press box of 200 seats for 10 local hacks for United V Luton in a Tuesday night? I asked if if would be given these seats. She just said the changes will be permanent to the press box. She talked about the South Stand being extende further out.

I tried not to go down the financial angle as that would have looked like I was just after a free ticket etc but wanted to be clear my gripe was very much about how we were told. Both the ticket officer manager and the other chap who showed us seats agreed it was poor how they have told us and lessons to be learned. They both took time out and spent a lot of time talking to me and showing me seats. They were decent and up front.

Basically I have been offered 2 seats about a third of the way across on the South Stand (kop end). They are ok and row OO but inferior and not central. All other seats left are single seats in the South Stand. I had a look in the corner and good views but worried about number of steps for my Uncle and sightlines as it is a long way from the Kop goal. They have agreed to keep me 2 in both areas open for now until I decide early next week. I'd like my Uncle to have a look but he is not clever at the moment with chemo so I will have to choose and get his ire when he goes!

I went and looked around - ground is a mess. So much work to be done. Underneath the South Stand there is lots of building work to extend media stuff for after games and the corner office block is having work done to create areas for viewing for interntional TV etc. The pitch is not there as it is being relaid. There has been several seats taken out of the lower tier - they have still not been told about the away fans and whether they need to find an additional 100 or so seats somewhere in the gound as the lower tier technically is not enough but they are hoping common sense prevails.

She was ok in terms of fielding my anger and agreed with a lot of what I said and said they have handled it badly. Still as I said we've lost our seat forever. She kind of said yeah I understand why I would be so annoyed also.

She just kept apologising but it should have been others facing me (and any others) really I felt. They should have invited us all in to a meeting and given us few dates to go in well before me ranting and having to get a meeting with the club.

After she gave me the different seat options she I asked f I still wanted to meet Bettis and McCarthy and I said 'Yes please me and my Uncle still want to meet them!' She is setting that up as I want to talk to them about how they have handled it. Be a hassle for me to go but more of hassle for them to have to meet with me and explain why they did it like they did. Maybe I should just accept my new seats and skulk off and leave it but I would like further conversations around future seat optons given to those 150 or so displaced etc and them to explain why they relayed the news as they did in terms of timeframes and the written letter format with the lack of options presented.

I really did not want to make it about money but the fact there has been no offer of anything really to compensate (even an executive box for a game or something - they should be really going out of their way to give us something to make us feel special for litereally moving us from the best seats in the ground in my opinion, for good) would at least show how sorry they are but they have still just offered nothing really just a lot of sorrys but hey ho.

I am not going to change it. I have to move - I have had my rant. I will probably take the South Stand ones offered and see how it goes with option to maybe move to the corner if I dont like them - as these are tickets sold match by match.

Sorry to rant this week - it did really annoy me. I have calmed down now. It's just a seat and I will still be there (apart from Palace - I am at a wedding so may not make it!) but I aint going to change it. I do want to have a further chat with those higher up the chain to ascertain some better reasons why we were told as it was and how it was handled just so they can be more answerable and hopefully learn from it.

If any one affected wants to PM me I can share a bit more that may help.

Well done for raising this on behalf of others Deadbat and well done to the Ticket Office Manager for being so accommodating and honest. There are clearly a lot of issues off the field for the Club to put in place for the Premiership but that doesn't excuse the fact they have upset some of our most loyal and long serving supporters. The problem here is that they are being reactive again rather than proactive. I suspect they are already learning from this as shown by the way they have dealt with you. Giving out information and consulting with people before you make a decision that affects a key part of the match day experience is not too much to ask.

On a separate note what is concerning is that the Club still do not have an answer from the Premier League on Away supporter allocations. How long is this going to take? Is this influencing the decision not to sell any more season tickets. Is this the reason why they are reluctant to announce exactly how many have been sold. It will be absurd if the Club are forced to corden off a large section of the BLUT for as little as 100 away fans. Hundreds of seats could be lost on match day. If the answer is we won't know the outcome until we've got all the ground improvements signed off then tell us, most of us are reasonable people and it stops the conspiracy theories.

Keeping people informed more often than not produces a better response than keeping them in the dark. Asking for their views before you do something is not radical just the way you expect the Club you support and invest in to act.

Update on this...wont share everything as some of it would be unfair as it was a face to face meeting with the ticket office manager I had this afternoon after work. She was very up front and honest and did field everything I said. I will say she did not try and hide from what I had questioned and agreed they could have handled things better. She seemed genuine in realising they have upset a lot of loyal fans and seemed to want to try and help come up witb solutions moving forward.

She and many of the club officials have seen this thread as she mentioned seeing the outcry etc!!! So she and others may read but wanted to share a brief update as think it it important other fans know options and how they are dealing with it.

After she wanted to dicuss it with me in the reception area not in private (I know!) She allowed me in her office and we had a chat over my letter.

She said that the club had an inkling that it could happen but could not scaremonger fans and had to wait to see. I did ask why other ticket holder had not been moved (if new ones or shorter term ones) but she said all South Stand central/good seats are not new season ticket holders.

I did ask what would happen next season if we went down and they had a press box of 200 seats for 10 local hacks for United V Luton in a Tuesday night? I asked if if would be given these seats. She just said the changes will be permanent to the press box. She talked about the South Stand being extende further out.

I tried not to go down the financial angle as that would have looked like I was just after a free ticket etc but wanted to be clear my gripe was very much about how we were told. Both the ticket officer manager and the other chap who showed us seats agreed it was poor how they have told us and lessons to be learned. They both took time out and spent a lot of time talking to me and showing me seats. They were decent and up front.

Basically I have been offered 2 seats about a third of the way across on the South Stand (kop end). They are ok and row OO but inferior and not central. All other seats left are single seats in the South Stand. I had a look in the corner and good views but worried about number of steps for my Uncle and sightlines as it is a long way from the Kop goal. They have agreed to keep me 2 in both areas open for now until I decide early next week. I'd like my Uncle to have a look but he is not clever at the moment with chemo so I will have to choose and get his ire when he goes!

I went and looked around - ground is a mess. So much work to be done. Underneath the South Stand there is lots of building work to extend media stuff for after games and the corner office block is having work done to create areas for viewing for interntional TV etc. The pitch is not there as it is being relaid. There has been several seats taken out of the lower tier - they have still not been told about the away fans and whether they need to find an additional 100 or so seats somewhere in the gound as the lower tier technically is not enough but they are hoping common sense prevails.

She was ok in terms of fielding my anger and agreed with a lot of what I said and said they have handled it badly. Still as I said we've lost our seat forever. She kind of said yeah I understand why I would be so annoyed also.

She just kept apologising but it should have been others facing me (and any others) really I felt. They should have invited us all in to a meeting and given us few dates to go in well before me ranting and having to get a meeting with the club.

After she gave me the different seat options she I asked f I still wanted to meet Bettis and McCarthy and I said 'Yes please me and my Uncle still want to meet them!' She is setting that up as I want to talk to them about how they have handled it. Be a hassle for me to go but more of hassle for them to have to meet with me and explain why they did it like they did. Maybe I should just accept my new seats and skulk off and leave it but I would like further conversations around future seat optons given to those 150 or so displaced etc and them to explain why they relayed the news as they did in terms of timeframes and the written letter format with the lack of options presented.

I really did not want to make it about money but the fact there has been no offer of anything really to compensate (even an executive box for a game or something - they should be really going out of their way to give us something to make us feel special for litereally moving us from the best seats in the ground in my opinion, for good) would at least show how sorry they are but they have still just offered nothing really just a lot of sorrys but hey ho.

I am not going to change it. I have to move - I have had my rant. I will probably take the South Stand ones offered and see how it goes with option to maybe move to the corner if I dont like them - as these are tickets sold match by match.

Sorry to rant this week - it did really annoy me. I have calmed down now. It's just a seat and I will still be there (apart from Palace - I am at a wedding so may not make it!) but I aint going to change it. I do want to have a further chat with those higher up the chain to ascertain some better reasons why we were told as it was and how it was handled just so they can be more answerable and hopefully learn from it.

This is a bit in the future, but you mentioned about extending the south stand. On the plans for that, I’m sure they have the press box at the back of the new tier. I’d make sure you tell them, that if or when that happens, then you get first refusal on the seats that you have just been kicked out of.

Great to see the response to your problem Deadbat.
Football clubs in general have a habit of taking long term supporters for granted ( not just us ) maybe it's because they are in an ivory tower and just don't see the error of there ways until it is pointed out !!.Having said that any average employee
should realise the anger these moves would make.
Could be an idea to have a supporter or a small group who regularly have meetings with the powers that be ,riding rough shoddy over a group of supporters like you and others is really short sighted.
You yourself and maybe a few others could really put a supporters point of view forward ,avoiding situations like this are not easy when forced to make changes to the seating and other things.
I really do think it would help to smooth out any changes.
As the owners often say ! We are just owners of the club the club really belongs to the fans.

Deadbat. You clearly don't need coaching on how to handle the forthcoming meeting with those responsible for this mess but I'll suggest a script which I would use!!

When you meet the ones responsible for your initial letter just ask them a simple question - " What would your reaction have been on receiving the message if you had paid for and occupied the same seats for so many years?" Then ask whether they both discussed the framing of the letter , the timing of the letter and the opportunity to offer some recompense to alleviate obvious disappointment and indeed anger. Then ask what their salaries are and whether they have had training in customer needs, the importance of the customer, how to handle difficult circumstances for loyal customers, how to handle disputes and how to communicate bad news. Then ask what date they became aware the press box needed expanding ( and why not before). Then ask why they delayed until all the best seats had gone. Finally ask whether the Board have been made aware of the customer reaction on our forum and in the ticket office where the poor lady has been left to repeatedly apologise for her boss's handling of the challenge which was unavoidable but obvious from the date Leeds lost at home to Wigan!

How poor that one of the top 2 didn't make sure they met you personally. They know your contribution on here and your importance as a communicator and analyst for thousands of fans. They know about this thread and yet they avoided you.

Stick to the script and record/remember the detail of their answers just like you do in your match reports; however you manage that I do not know.!!

Well done Deadbat, a worthwhile thread which will ensure a more sensitive and caring approach by the club on future occasions. Without the thread individual customers would have been fobbed off without a thought.

Does it matter in the whole scheme of things? Well this is post 188, yes it does.

Deadbat. You clearly don't need coaching on how to handle the forthcoming meeting with those responsible for this mess but I'll suggest a script which I would use!!

When you meet the ones responsible for your initial letter just ask them a simple question - " What would your reaction have been on receiving the message if you had paid for and occupied the same seats for so many years?" Then ask whether they both discussed the framing of the letter , the timing of the letter and the opportunity to offer some recompense to alleviate obvious disappointment and indeed anger. Then ask what their salaries are and whether they have had training in customer needs, the importance of the customer, how to handle difficult circumstances for loyal customers, how to handle disputes and how to communicate bad news. Then ask what date they became aware the press box needed expanding ( and why not before). Then ask why they delayed until all the best seats had gone. Finally ask whether the Board have been made aware of the customer reaction on our forum and in the ticket office where the poor lady has been left to repeatedly apologise for her boss's handling of the challenge which was unavoidable but obvious from the date Leeds lost at home to Wigan!

How poor that one of the top 2 didn't make sure they met you personally. They know your contribution on here and your importance as a communicator and analyst for thousands of fans. They know about this thread and yet they avoided you.

Stick to the script and record/remember the detail of their answers just like you do in your match reports; however you manage that I do not know.!!

Well done Deadbat, a worthwhile thread which will ensure a more sensitive and caring approach by the club on future occasions. Without the thread individual customers would have been fobbed off without a thought.

Does it matter in the whole scheme of things? Well this is post 188, yes it does.
Deadbat met with the ticket office manager to discuss his ticket. Would you expect Chris Wilder, Billy Sharp, Ravel Morrison and maybe the U9s manager to join as well?
As for asking her salary... :rolleyes:

If I started asking for people’s salaries, I’d expect to get booted out pronto. Such a lack of self-awareness

Deadbat met with the ticket office manager to discuss his ticket. Would you expect Chris Wilder, Billy Sharp, Ravel Morrison and maybe the U9s manager to join as well?

The salary point was not intended to be taken literally, just implied subtley (with self awareness!). You will have a way of doing that surely Danny.:cool:

The 'people responsible' mentioned in my post are Bettis and McCarthy who Deadbat meets next.

For an issue like this the Ticket Office Manager will not have made the key decisions or she would have said so yesterday. Her line manager should have been well involved.

Deadbat himself says it should have been others facing him, so what's your point Danny? Ask him too.

Last edited:
Deadbat ......Did i read that correctly,Lisa says they are considering extending the stand "forwards" >>>> or did she mean bringing the extension of the stand forward. ???

Deadbat ......Did i read that correctly,Lisa says they are considering extending the stand "forwards" >>>> or did she mean bringing the extension of the stand forward. ???
Another row is being built on the front of the south, if that’s what she meant?

Another row is being built on the front of the south, if that’s what she meant?

No she meant extended out at the back...like Liverpool did...so making it bigger with more rows....She said the Kop was almost impossible to do in the near future as it would have to be rebuilt completely.

Guessing that would take 4 or 5 months+ to rebuild. Going to be a problem for the club as unless we go crap again and crowds dip (defeat the object of doing it) then unsure how they can redo the Kop without upsetting say 7 or 8,000 fans. Where would these go/be put for 3 months? Would we have to play our games elsewhere for a period? It is a problem that I am not sure how they can overcome especially if we are successful. It's why some teams just move grounds but then Spurs etc have found it is wrought with problems. Controversial opinion but I'd take 2 months (say 3 orc4 home game) of playing at gulp....Elland Road in a few years if we were still in the Prem...if it allowed us to do the Kop properly.

Well done for raising this on behalf of others Deadbat and well done to the Ticket Office Manager for being so accommodating and honest. There are clearly a lot of issues off the field for the Club to put in place for the Premiership but that doesn't excuse the fact they have upset some of our most loyal and long serving supporters. The problem here is that they are being reactive again rather than proactive. I suspect they are already learning from this as shown by the way they have dealt with you. Giving out information and consulting with people before you make a decision that affects a key part of the match day experience is not too much to ask.

On a separate note what is concerning is that the Club still do not have an answer from the Premier League on Away supporter allocations. How long is this going to take? Is this influencing the decision not to sell any more season tickets. Is this the reason why they are reluctant to announce exactly how many have been sold. It will be absurd if the Club are forced to corden off a large section of the BLUT for as little as 100 away fans. Hundreds of seats could be lost on match day. If the answer is we won't know the outcome until we've got all the ground improvements signed off then tell us, most of us are reasonable people and it stops the conspiracy theories.

Keeping people informed more often than not produces a better response than keeping them in the dark. Asking for their views before you do something is not radical just the way you expect the Club you support and invest in to act.
Wolves only allocate 2750 for away fans and their capacity is just under 32,000, so precedent as been set in regards to that query.

It wasnt Lisa I saw....it was a Carrie. Who's Lisa? I saw a few faces I recognised as I walked round the offices....to be honest they offered me refreshments, chance to go where I wanted etc. If I had asked to go and have a piss in the middle of the pitch they'd have probably let me. I felt for the lovely chap showing me round as he had to get all the lights put on to take me round the Westfield corner and traipse round the ground. She was ringing people saying take him wherever he wants. Had a wry smile. Showed they have dropped an almighty bollock which at least they have recognised.

A simple solution to us dissenters is all those affected invited in for a complimentary meal before one home match and bettis talks to us all openly about fucking up and how they handled it. They then discuss options for next season and how they may be able to give us priorities etc....maybe a match in a box or something staggered also as a way of apologising.

....then we get a supermarket sweep 2 minutes in the club shop to stuff sll we want in a trolley before allowing us all a game of 50 a side on the pitch. The winning side gets to spend a week on Abdullahs yacht with a free bar and unlimited bog roll for life.

The losers of the game get a week in the Grand at Scarborough and a fish and chip supper with the McCabes.

Wolves only allocate 2750 for away fans and their capacity is just under 32,000, so precedent as been set in regards to that query.

Does beg the question then why is it taking so long to resolve.

What’s the club’s ‘agenda’?
Moving exsisting ST holders, not selling more ST when clearly they are well above the 5% limit for Match Day sales. BL + kop and Pukka stand point to around 4/4500 seats still available for day sales

"You clearly don't need coaching........but here's what you should do....."

Apart from the stupid salary question, which shouldn't be taken literally. Wtf?

Moving exsisting ST holders, not selling more ST when clearly they are well above the 5% limit for Match Day sales. BL + kop and Pukka stand point to around 4/4500 seats still available for day sales
So this agenda is against whom?

So this agenda is against whom?
[
Agenda may not have been the correct choice of words, but why not come out and be honest regarding the reason not to sell anymore STs, when clearly it is nothing to do with the PL. If they are keeping more than necessary for Match Day sales then be up front about it. Liverpool only choose to sell a maximum of 25,000 STs, to maximise such game day revenue.

The salary point was not intended to be taken literally, just implied subtley (with self awareness!). You will have a way of doing that surely Danny.:cool:

The 'people responsible' mentioned in my post are Bettis and McCarthy who Deadbat meets next.

For an issue like this the Ticket Office Manager will not have made the key decisions or she would have said so yesterday. Her line manager should have been well involved.

Deadbat himself says it should have been others facing him, so what's your point Danny? Ask him too.

Your point then Danny04 ?

Further to my earlier posts this week and given that the club has already been helpful in dealing with a number of affected season ticket holders to their satisfaction (myself included) I feel that we should keep the issue in perspective and all concerned learn from the experience. I previously mentioned I am retired. I used to lecture in management at Hallam University and Sheffield Business School. This would have made an excellent case study had I still been working! But let's remember we're all on the same side actually, let's not over react but sort it out, learn from it, move on and remember the football -for United we Stand!

but why not come out and be honest regarding the reason not to sell anymore STs

What bit about Bettis’s comments here aren’t being honest?

Your point then Danny04 ?
Strange, when I read your reply the first time it was only half as long and didn't include the point you seem keen for a response to!
My point is that Deadbat met the ticket office manager, to discuss his ticket. Anyone would think they wheeled in one of the girls in charge the betting kiosk at the weekend to discuss it, the way some people have responded.
The boss of the ticket office is perfectly capable and able to discuss matters of tickets. That's their job. Do you think Bettis and McCarthy were sat in the back room, doing nothing?
There are six weeks until the start of the season and a hell of a lot of work is underway to get the ground up to scratch, sign players behind the scenes etc. Please don't interpret this post as 'they had better things to be doing than consulting fans' etc, but that's what the staff in, and heads of, respective departments are there for. Can you imagine Ed Woodward dealing with something like this personally at Old Trafford? I can't.
I also sympathise with the club a little, too. The original letter could perhaps have made it more clear, but it stated in black and white that seats in the TC Stand were still available, at the time. Some good ones were held back for this very eventuality, I know that for a fact. A simple call to the ticket office would have sealed two of them, which others obviously did while this thread was being created. Just my two'penneth Woodwardfan since you asked, fellow Blade :D 👍

Deadbat
Given the quality of your reports and the number of people who read them you should been given a seat in the pressbox

Can't we petition SU to allocate Deadbat seats in the pressbox

Back
Top Bottom