Is Friday as near as we get.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

They aren't the same West Ham. They're a hollowed out, plastic shell of the West Ham they used to be. A gentrified caricature of the big "tourist clubs" they wish to emulate. My overriding feeling is one of pity. Everyday they exist, they mock their forefathers who made them something to admire.It was the same moral bankruptcy back then that has ironically taken an irreversible iron grip on their club in the aftermath. How can you have rivalry with an entity that's only really existed for a few years?

And the fans??

Never really understood the rivalry with West Ham. The blame from that season should rest with us, we were to negative away from home, that Webber miss against Wigan (he should have followed that ball all the way), 2 missed penalties against Blackburn And that’s just a few I remember.
That’s bollocks. We were relegated by the narrowest of margins possible, and that margin was overcome by them having Tevez.

Every supporter could write a list of moans about their performance over a season.

Never really understood the rivalry with West Ham. The blame from that season should rest with us, we were to negative away from home, that Webber miss against Wigan (he should have followed that ball all the way), 2 missed penalties against Blackburn And that’s just a few I remember.

I agree that we had it in our hands to stay up but when a club breaks league rules to sign one of the best players in the world (at the time), a player they wouldn’t have been able to bring to the club in other circumstances, who went on to have a material impact in their fortunes that season and then carries on playing after the breach has been identified then you are playing a rigged game. The fact that we were a newly promoted side exacerbates this for me. If we’d been an established Prem side then maybe I’d be looking at it differently.

The precedent generally was that in such circumstances a sporting punishment should be applied rather than only a financial one however the Premier League didn’t have a tariff in place at the time (as I remember it) and so had to make it up on the spot.

If West Ham weren’t able to sign Tevez or were subsequently prevented from playing him then the strong probability is we would have stayed up. If he wasn’t there then they don’t get the required points (or they get docked points they gained through cheating) then we’ve done enough to stay up.

Like I say though I’m over it:) and Warnock doesn’t escape criticism from that season but that is the single most decisive factor for me.

TBH Jamie Vardy standing in front of the Kop with his hands around his ears winding us up pisses me off more than West Ham do. They have enough problems of their own, especially if the Moyes appointment doesn't work out. Thank fuck we're not in their situation

TBH Jamie Vardy standing in front of the Kop with his hands around his ears winding us up pisses me off more than West Ham do.
Why would Vardy's re action piss you off ?. He took loads off the crowd due to being a pig. Scored in front of the Kop and he gave it back to the Kop in a non abusive way. Spot on reaction in my view. ( even thou he's a piggy twat)

As said previously, they now reside in an athletics stadium with a shopping centre around it. There is no soul, no heart to that club anymore. All their pre match drinking dens have gone and instead they take little 'arry to see Star Wars in the Vue cinema before a quick McDonald's and a cheeky look in M&S to see how much flat caps are in the sale before attending matches these days. It really is pity.

I know for a fact that they have a fair few ,at least a couple of hundred booked into hotels for the weekend ,Friday and Saturday could be a bit lively in town.

They are not West Ham anymore. The league cup game had a edge to it beforehand. This? Just another game.

Before the away game some middle aged West Ham fan was holding his tevez shirt that he is clearly outgrown up for the cameras to catch him. I just felt pity for him really.
Some we're wearing Tevez masks as well even blokes in there 50s and 60s what a set of twats they actually looked 😂

This is why we need Leeds to come up. For a bit of spice. No other game this season has that. West Ham is indeed as near as it gets, for most.

But I predict that after Friday, this rivalry will be reignited somewhat. Their fans will cause plenty of trouble.

This is why we need Leeds to come up. For a bit of spice. No other game this season has that. West Ham is indeed as near as it gets, for most.

But I predict that after Friday, this rivalry will be reignited somewhat. Their fans will cause plenty of trouble.
Aye, I wouldn't even mind Forest coming up just for that. They could well do, but I don't see it.

Our most atmospheric home match will be on the 21st v Man City. Geographically our closest rivals this season, always lively away support, a full house night match under the lights, a side packed with fantastic players with whom we went toe to toe at their place not long back.

West Ham? Nah not any more. They are a club which has committed a form of suicide playing out their days in the footballing equivalent of a sterile old folks home. They are a ghost of the entity with which we had so much needle a few years back. My overriding emotion towards them now is pity really.

Add me to the overriding pity list.

But I don't think it will be too long before they say enough is enough and do something about it.

I'm sorry but I along with many others I suspect don't give a flying fuck about West ham the only people trying to keep any animosity going are the newspapers and media. It really is a poor attempt to sell a few more papers or to generate a little more interest in what would otherwise be a run of the mill fixture.

Premier League derby game 🤔 I suppose the nearest Premier League teams are from Manchester. We are really out on our own in Yorkshire nearest in the north east is Newcastle look to the south and the nearest is Aston Villa or Wolves.

They cheated......our support will be more intense than ever......cheats.....One thing I can guarantee we will hear the chant of "Same old West Ham Always Cheating" funny how this now applies to two London Clubs

I know for a fact that they have a fair few ,at least a couple of hundred booked into hotels for the weekend ,Friday and Saturday could be a bit lively in town.

There are no problems with Friday night matches because fans don't have enough time to drink before games so says Mark Roberts Deputy Chief Constable and self styled Police guru when it comes to SYP policing football matches :D. Roberts is the Police liaison expert for England matches so he must be right.

With only a week to go they decide to tell Shammers that they are advised to get back home straight after the match because the last train is at 9 p.m. Thats after many have already booked Hotels. If he had any brain cells and stopped concentrating on issuing orders to limit drinking time as he always does,the plastic glasses instruction has already gone out, then is not beyond the wit of man to liaise with the Railways and got a late train put on back to that there London so limiting the potential for any afters. As usual clueless policing by SYP.

There are no problems with Friday night matches because fans don't have enough time to drink before games so says Mark Roberts Deputy Chief Constable and self styled Police guru when it comes to SYP policing football matches :D. Roberts is the Police liaison expert for England matches so he must be right.

With only a week to go they decide to tell Shammers that they are advised to get back home straight after the match because the last train is at 9 p.m. Thats after many have already booked Hotels. If he had any brain cells and stopped concentrating on issuing orders to limit drinking time as he always does,the plastic glasses instruction has already gone out, then is not beyond the wit of man to liaise with the Railways and got a late train put on back to that there London so limiting the potential for any afters. As usual clueless policing by SYP.
That does seem to be a piss poor response from SYP. Whatever you think about that other club, West Ham usually enjoy a robust following for away games.
That journey north on a Friday night is one I have done many times, including pre M25 days. No train back to the smoke after a Friday night fixture is just plain silly, although I wouldn’t want to travel on that service, for business or pleasure.
I expect most will travel by coach or car, and as already stated, a fair few will stay over.
They will all be disappointed anyway, travelling home with no more points than they arrived with. lol

forgotten tevez already
only memory I have when we play west ham is TCs goal
and got to remember Steads goal in 3 / 0 win

I was discussing the Tevez situation with my colleague this morning. As far as I'm concerned everything that has passed from that relegation has led us to Chris Wilder. If we had stayed up we may have been able to scramble another couple of years out of the Prem maybe. This would have got us no-where and probably with Robson intact for a year or two (the board were going to sack Warnock regardless). This would have got us with a different range of managers and therefore may not have led to Chris Wilder, as a different sliding door path would have been taken. So as far as I'm concerned I'm happy now and couldn't give a hoot about the past. Just looking forward to whatever CW brings, whilst it lasts until someone with much deeper pockets smells the coffee and offers him a deal he cannot refuse.

We were shit for a lot of that season but you can be shit and still get robbed.

Even then, I don't see it as a rivalry. It was one huge incident years ago and because of how things went for us after (which can't be pinned on Wham) we haven't played them bar a cup match a few years ago. It's really hard to foster anything like a rivalry when you aren't playing each other and aren't local.

It's too long ago with too little interaction between the clubs for there to be anything in it for me. Just another club I don't like.

I wouldn't say I consider it a rivalry but I definitely dislike then as a club.

Now we're back in the premiership I am less bitter about the whole thing. But that they still would take no blame for it to this day, and that they somehow feel wronged winds me up.

Now they represent everything wrong with football and I can't help but feel some justice was done with the soul of their club getting ripped out.

I agree them losing their ground and becoming a bit plastic has taken the edge off any rivalry. Also not all West Ham fans thought they were in the right regarding the Tevez affair, some knew they got off lightly.

The score was settled somewhat in that League Cup match along with the Doyle celebration.

Imagine this season if Norwich were due to be punished with FFP.
Imagine if previous clubs had received a 10 point deduction but instead the PL say
”we want to give Norwich a fighting chance...as they are bottom of the league we will give them a 3 point deduction and a big fine”.
No one would complain because everyone assumes NC will be relegated anyway.

It was the same with West Ham. They were practically already relegated and needed a miracle to stay up.
No one....including the Premier League thought that the miracle could happen.
Think they won 8 of their last 10 matches including winning their last match away at league champions Man Utd.

However what made the West Ham crime worse was.....not only did they play 2 illegal players.
During the investigation they tried to cover their tracks and hide the truth.

It was years ago mate. Time to move on!

It shouldn’t matter what one other team gets. If you’re not good enough to stay up, you get 40 points. It’s literally pointless blaming other teams.

Nah, no issues. The Essex boys will be just on the pull ..... they just have to open their mouth and the girls are dropping their knickers. And yes, I have tried to mimic their accent - never worked for me though 😟

For me the Tevez ordeal was a very big deal at the time!! It doesn't feel anywhere near as bad now, but it will definitely be a better atmosphere Friday, than if it hadn't happened!!...

You've been watching too many Danny Dyer programmes mate. We don't even register on their radar. Had a cracking time with them in Mile End before and after game down there this season. The Essex boys will be on the pull this weekend.

I was discussing the Tevez situation with my colleague this morning. As far as I'm concerned everything that has passed from that relegation has led us to Chris Wilder. If we had stayed up we may have been able to scramble another couple of years out of the Prem maybe. This would have got us no-where and probably with Robson intact for a year or two (the board were going to sack Warnock regardless). This would have got us with a different range of managers and therefore may not have led to Chris Wilder, as a different sliding door path would have been taken. So as far as I'm concerned I'm happy now and couldn't give a hoot about the past. Just looking forward to whatever CW brings, whilst it lasts until someone with much deeper pockets smells the coffee and offers him a deal he cannot refuse.

Over 9 years and 2 relegations. Long and winding road.

And the fans??

They've been gentrified too. Moved off their historical patch and already the victims of large price rises as the dildo brothers hope to appeal to the middle and upper class who will, in time, make the 'brand' and club more valuable.They no longer want to appeal to working class cockneys.

Back
Top Bottom