Is Friday as near as we get.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

MMBUTB

Reaction score
As a supporter of a club, some games that you go to are just different. The biggest example of this is when we play Wednesday. The intensity is in the air. You can feel it and almost taste it. The atmosphere at this game has an edge to it, that makes the next game you go to all seem a little flat.

To a lesser extent to Wednesday the next example of this for me would be Leeds.

I’m not suggesting for one minute that the West Ham game will be like Wednesday or even Leeds for that, but is Fridays game the closets we will get to a derby type atmosphere this year.

If not who would be your prem derby ??

As a supporter of a club, some games that you go to are just different. The biggest example of this is when we play Wednesday. The intensity is in the air. You can feel it and almost taste it. The atmosphere at this game has an edge to it, that makes the next game you go to all seem a little flat.

I’m not suggesting for one minute that the West Ham game will be like Wednesday or even Leeds for that, but is Fridays game the closets we will get to a derby type atmosphere this year.

I just don't see the fake rivalry with this one anymore. I think the media like to fuel it a bit, but to be honest it's baffled me for a few years.

Its like Norwich fans claiming that we have a rivalry with them.

I can't think of any team in the Prem that we can consider a rival, at least not until we play Chelsea at the end of April and Leicester the week after for the Champions League 4th place show down

There will probably be a bit of an edge to this one being as it’s the first time we’ve played them at the Lane since ‘07. Pre-West Ham’s gentrification they always brought a loud following. I remember a great atmosphere at the Lane in the mid 00s for a late kick off that that finished 3-3.

I think both sets of fans will make a token attempt reignite the Tevez thing for the evening but I genuinely don’t think anyone really be arsed with this one any more.

They are not West Ham anymore. The league cup game had a edge to it beforehand. This? Just another game.

Before the away game some middle aged West Ham fan was holding his tevez shirt that he is clearly outgrown up for the cameras to catch him. I just felt pity for him really.

Never really understood the rivalry with West Ham. The blame from that season should rest with us, we were to negative away from home, that Webber miss against Wigan (he should have followed that ball all the way), 2 missed penalties against Blackburn And that’s just a few I remember.

I wouldn't say I consider it a rivalry but I definitely dislike then as a club.

Now we're back in the premiership I am less bitter about the whole thing. But that they still would take no blame for it to this day, and that they somehow feel wronged winds me up.

Now they represent everything wrong with football and I can't help but feel some justice was done with the soul of their club getting ripped out.

If it's anything like the game down theirs then noone will give a fuck. Might be a token effort from our idiots to bring some sort of 'edge' to it.

I was puzzled by this - as to why you could be thinking there was great rivalry between us and West Ham? Then I realised you must be going back to the Tevez thing - blimey! That's donkey's years ago now and I'd completely forgotten about that. I think it's of no relevance whatsoever to this fixture. But then again, I may be an exception as I can watch a game with Nottingham Forest without thinking "scab" as well.

The idea that this is going to be a "derby" type atmosphere I think is a bit fanciful. As you said, there are only really a couple of clubs where that happens and you've named them.

Of the remaining home fixtures, it's most likely that the Man City game will be nearest to a "derby" atmosphere, given the size and proximity of the club. However, even that will depend a lot on what's happening on the pitch. If we play poorly, or if it's one of those stop and start games that never really gets going, then the atmosphere will reflect that.

We've had some raucous atmospheres in games at the Lane so far this season, and it's not been related to the opposition, it's more related to how well we are playing.

I never bought into the Tevez thing at the time really. We should have stayed up and only had ourselves to blame.

Do love playing West Ham and this is the closest to a derby for me, but it’s mainly because all of my in-laws support then and her Dad has been giving it some for a few years. He’s been oddly quiet this year though!

Never really understood the rivalry with West Ham. The blame from that season should rest with us, we were to negative away from home, that Webber miss against Wigan (he should have followed that ball all the way), 2 missed penalties against Blackburn And that’s just a few I remember.
And the missed peno at home v Chelsea

They've not changed as a club. They've just got a new stadium. It's still the same set of noisy, working class East London & Essex folk. It's still run by crooks. They've still got their stupid bubbles. Tevez was years ago and any residual bitterness essentially left the day Chris Wilder walked into the building, but there will still be a heightened atmosphere. And I'd love it if we comfortably beat them to show them where things stand now*

*That plus I'll be watching in a pub in London with a West Ham-supporting mate.

Friday night 8pm and a full house. Atmosphere will be cracking. Could not care less about WHU in terms of rivals. I used to like them years ago when they had Devonshire etc. Nowadays a club that has lost its identity and plays in a soulless bowl. I think all our home games from now to the end of the season will be cracking. I don’t see any of them as “ Derby” type events. Long may that continue !

Wether people like it or not there is a rivalry with west ham otherwise why would people be talking about it? No there not the pigs or even Leeds... But there's something about the club I can't stand and tbh why wouldn't we want a game to have some extra needle? Isn't that what makes football exciting.. and to anyone thinking west ham don't care about us you should have been stood were I was at the 'London athletics stadium' barring the pigs it was the tastiest (for want of a better word) atmosphere I'd come across from home fans .

Fuck the bubble blowing cockneys

If anything, I'd say West Ham fans still hold the Tevez saga in their minds more than we do. For some reason many seem to think we screwed them out of money for it and contributed to the relegation that followed a couple of years later.

I never bought into the Tevez thing at the time really. We should have stayed up and only had ourselves to blame.

Do love playing West Ham and this is the closest to a derby for me, but it’s mainly because all of my in-laws support then and her Dad has been giving it some for a few years. He’s been oddly quiet this year though!

Imagine this season if Norwich were due to be punished with FFP.
Imagine if previous clubs had received a 10 point deduction but instead the PL say
”we want to give Norwich a fighting chance...as they are bottom of the league we will give them a 3 point deduction and a big fine”.
No one would complain because everyone assumes NC will be relegated anyway.

It was the same with West Ham. They were practically already relegated and needed a miracle to stay up.
No one....including the Premier League thought that the miracle could happen.
Think they won 8 of their last 10 matches including winning their last match away at league champions Man Utd.

However what made the West Ham crime worse was.....not only did they play 2 illegal players.
During the investigation they tried to cover their tracks and hide the truth.

I think the Police are anticipating a "lively atmosphere".

Pubs have been advised to serve in plastic "glasses".

Reactions: Dkc
Tevez gone, Scudimore gone, McCabe gone subject to another court case, and there‘s the problem. If he had put as much into the club to keep us up as he did into the court cases we might be European champions by now.
There’s only the jolly figure of Samuels still grinding that axe.
As I see this one they are one of the weaker teams we need points from. Last time they were full of star names and we walked it 3-0 to go 10 points clear (I think) and we thought we were safe. Our results and theirs changed around and they stayed up and we went down.
Now is not time to look back to what happened but forward to control our own destiny. Sh!t I sound like a Jedi master :D

If we’re looking for clubs who’s ethos and fan base (not necessarily size) are similar to ourselves this season it’s a toss up between Newcastle or Wet Spam. They sell out their allocations without the aid of Premier league “tourists”.

I was puzzled by this - as to why you could be thinking there was great rivalry between us and West Ham? Then I realised you must be going back to the Tevez thing - blimey

Really?
It’s the very first thing that pops into my head when they are mentioned.
I guess I am just more bitter and twisted.

Cheating bastards.

And still do to this day!!

And Boris is P.M. now, who knows what they'll do next.

When Richards and Scudamore sit in their Directors Box area, everybody will know full well it's still an issue. :D
What has Boris being PM got to do with it ?- I wasn't aware he was a West Ham fan.

It feels like every game has been like a derby or a cup final this season so far. I think we all realise how important each game is and to get something from them. A good example being Bash celebrating winning a goal kick at the end of the Arsenal game.

It’s history to me and wasn’t a big deal at the time, as has already been pointed out we blew it and should’ve stayed up regardless of Tevez.

If anything that relegation and subsequent shite that lead us to League One, gave us Wilder. Looking back now, I don’t think anyone would change a thing.

What has Boris being PM got to do with it ?- I wasn't aware he was a West Ham fan.

He was London Mayor and very involved in little Leyton Orient not getting the ground.

Not saying its another blonde involved, brunette( dyed). Purely platonic this time I would imagine!

They aren't the same West Ham. They're a hollowed out, plastic shell of the West Ham they used to be. A gentrified caricature of the big "tourist clubs" they wish to emulate. My overriding feeling is one of pity. Everyday they exist, they mock their forefathers who made them something to admire.It was the same moral bankruptcy back then that has ironically taken an irreversible iron grip on their club in the aftermath. How can you have rivalry with an entity that's only really existed for a few years?

Back
Top Bottom