Improvements needed in match day atmosphere?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

And?

Their problems are well documented and totally out of the fans’ control.

But, they create a good atmosphere and have been able to unite themselves, as a group of fans, in difficult times. I’m sure the Oldham fans have preferred this path to just sitting there in silence and taking it all on the chin.
Your a good poster mate ,no issues with you ,even if you are from Mexborough 🤪

Your a good poster mate ,no issues with you ,even if you are from Mexborough 🤪
I like Oldham good old fashioned northern club ,the whole fabric of football is built from teams like Oldham...shame to see em go down

So you agree it’s noisy ?
What is? Where I personally stand? Yes. Where my cousin sits, for example, is embarrassingly bad. And I know because there's been the odd occasion I've sat there. Mindnumbingly dull.

I have actually,I've been to Barcelona vs Getafe and not necessarily overseas but celtic vs Aberdeen and your point is?
(I’d guess) That the atmosphere is ten times better at many places around Europe, and it’s generated by the things the silent English fans repeatedly sniping at, whilst pouring from their flasks.

Never have truer words been said pal
That’s go down well where I sit. Kids, old ladies, people on crutches, small people quiet people, boring people. Defo moving my seat next season. Desperately seeking an atmosphere. Where is best in the Kop? And I don’t mean the back row.

That’s go down well where I sit. Kids, old ladies, people on crutches, small people quiet people, boring people. Defo moving my seat next season. Desperately seeking an atmosphere. Where is best in the Kop? And I don’t mean the back row.
Back 4 rows anywhere in kop. I hate to sit at matches why I always get in back few rows

Well last year I moved to rome and have become very invested (probably too invested already!) as an AS Roma fan. The whole match day experience here is different (at all Italian domestic games) and it comes down to a combination of many reasons, here are a few differences I noticed:

1) Beer in the stands. Not only because it hugely reduces all queues, but it encourages people to take their seats early. The ground is virtually full 30 minutes before kick off which allows the atmosphere to start building and songs to be sung.

2) leading me to the second point of no pre match music from the 90s but just 3 different club songs in the lead up to kick off to generate an atmosphere

3) flags. God they look good I think.l and they are everywhere. Maybe it’s not to everyone’s taste, and I do understand someone’s earlier point about being sat behind them, but actually it’s not as restrictive as you might think

4) designated sections for different types of fans. The curva sud is famous for the roma ‘boys’ as they are called (they refute ultras in the basis that Lazio call themselves that) and if you want the best atmosphere you can go there. Families in the sides and tourists in the curva Nord. Done.

5) family friendly songs, Al positive about their club. This might sound a strange thing to say but they are songs that EVERYONE can join in on. Just songs about how they love their club and they will support them forever etc etc etc

Compare that to ‘shag your women and drink your beer’ etc. who the fuck sings that now? It’s not inclusive and not pleasant. Do better England.

There are simple tweaks to be made but just saying ‘the game is different now’ does not excuse the poor atmosphere at BL, because there are many things to do which can improve it
Went to a Roma game a couple of years ago, didn't sit in the curva sud (I assume that's the bit behind the goal?) and watching those 'boys' go off I'm glad I wasn't!!! Was more like a mosh pit than anything else!! Was fun to watch though and definitely was a good atmosphere!

Also remember the steps up to my seat being incredibly steep, definitely wouldn't fancy them after a few beers!!

On the rare occasions we do chant, they mostly seem to come from the back of Gangway G.

I think many forget how good the atmosphere at the Lane used to be. As someone who can't get to games that often, when I do get the chance I'm shocked at how poor it has become.

I started going in 1982 and had a season ticket for thirty years. I can recall great atmospheres throughout the eighties and nineties. In the early 2000s the atmosphere was superb and this got us quite a reputation with media and opposition fans alike. This is when G&H blocks on the South Stand even used to sing. The noise was something else at times.

I don't look back with rose tinted glasses either. I can vividly remember the feeling the atmosphere at these matches gave me.

Bramall Lane used to rock and it can again if people make the effort. I think there needs to be more will and organisation between the club and fans for things to change. At least this has now become a talking point among supporters.

Yep. A lot of people say it was much louder in the Wilder years but it wasn't, it was dead most weeks then as well. I can clearly remember it, and clearly remember moaning about it. I'm not sure when the atmosphere started tailing off but it was probably around the time that the G/H blocks got shut.

The atmosphere isn't gone forever but I really think a safe standing section is the best way to gather all of the like-minded fans in one area and start generating some atmosphere.

The club talk about providing an amazing matchday experience, but surely the atmosphere is a huge part of that. If they showed some interest in safe standing it might at least show they care that BL is an absolute morgue. Going to the Lane is mostly a very dull experience and I really hope it changes.

Well last year I moved to rome and have become very invested (probably too invested already!) as an AS Roma fan. The whole match day experience here is different (at all Italian domestic games) and it comes down to a combination of many reasons, here are a few differences I noticed:

1) Beer in the stands. Not only because it hugely reduces all queues, but it encourages people to take their seats early. The ground is virtually full 30 minutes before kick off which allows the atmosphere to start building and songs to be sung.

2) leading me to the second point of no pre match music from the 90s but just 3 different club songs in the lead up to kick off to generate an atmosphere

3) flags. God they look good I think.l and they are everywhere. Maybe it’s not to everyone’s taste, and I do understand someone’s earlier point about being sat behind them, but actually it’s not as restrictive as you might think

4) designated sections for different types of fans. The curva sud is famous for the roma ‘boys’ as they are called (they refute ultras in the basis that Lazio call themselves that) and if you want the best atmosphere you can go there. Families in the sides and tourists in the curva Nord. Done.

5) family friendly songs, Al positive about their club. This might sound a strange thing to say but they are songs that EVERYONE can join in on. Just songs about how they love their club and they will support them forever etc etc etc

Compare that to ‘shag your women and drink your beer’ etc. who the fuck sings that now? It’s not inclusive and not pleasant. Do better England.

There are simple tweaks to be made but just saying ‘the game is different now’ does not excuse the poor atmosphere at BL, because there are many things to do which can improve it

Haha yeah I've always found that song embarrassing.

I think you make some great points there, in particular point 1, 2 and 4. Regarding point 1 I think when we have really big games people do tend to get there early and that does build up the noise and atmosphere that tends to last for the game (unless we are 2 down in ten mins!) If you could get the bulk of the crowd in 30 mins before and get some alcohol in them then it's sure to make for a louder match day experience. Sadly in our ever increasing dull country we will never be able to sit in a football stadium and enjoy a pre match pint or drink during the game as its guaranteed to make us all behave like neanderthals and cause carnage. We just can't be trusted to behave like civilised people when you have two or three pints and watch football live in the fresh air and not on a tv.

It’s a hard one trying to improve the atmosphere we’re all dry nervous. We all expect to be towards the top however the team is pretty average. We’re not all that exciting to watch, takes a good set of fans to be non stop singing throughout the game with all that in mind

Every time someone complains about the lack of singing I think about this. It's pathetic that here we are, a self-proclaimed family club, still singing that bloody song.

Regards not being allowed to consume alcohol "in view of the pitch", why is this? What's the actual genuine reasoning for it? Even if you have a box they walk in and put the blinds down so you can't do it. Yet turn round with a beer and watch it on the TV whilst it's going on behind you. 🤔

I can understand it the ban on the stands so we don't throw owt (though why anyone would pay £5 a pint just to throw it at their own fans because there's no way you'd reach the pitch from the back of the kop baffles me). But the rule is genuinely 'in view of the pitch'. Only in this country though. I think this country loves its quirky rules too much sometimes.

A splash of colour would vastly improve things and not only in terms of how it looks. Flags and the like get folk feeling battle-ready which oils the old vocal chords up.

The Kop should be safe standing regardless.

The rules are that you have a specific place allocated, and this has to be supposedly even more stringently enforced with increased safety measures, such as CCTV being mandatory etc. Its not a case of just finding a fee spot as you would on a terrace.

Therefore in order to improve atmosphere this would have to be used as an opportunity to coordinate an active/vocal section (in the middle?) and more passive sections (on the sides?). Just allowing everyone to renew their current seats would be a missed opportunity.

With anything like this, it will probably take a coordinated and organised fan group to ensure if/when safe standing is installed, atmosphere is considered. Could this be within your remit Stand United ?

The Kop should be safe standing regardless.

The rules are that you have a specific place allocated, and this has to be supposedly even more stringently enforced with increased safety measures, such as CCTV being mandatory etc. Its not a case of just finding a fee spot as you would on a terrace.

Therefore in order to improve atmosphere this would have to be used as an opportunity to coordinate an active/vocal section (in the middle?) and more passive sections (on the sides?). Just allowing everyone to renew their current seats would be a missed opportunity.

With anything like this, it will probably take a coordinated and organised fan group to ensure if/when safe standing is installed, atmosphere is considered. Could this be within your remit Stand United ?
I’d say it isn’t at the moment something we could realistically do as a short-term fan-led group, but everything you say there makes a lot of sense and it would be great to see something emerge in the next few years.

I’ve mentioned them already, but Forza Garibaldi is probably the model to look at. Started essentially by a couple of season ticket holders, they’ve basically just added some elements of organisation to creating atmosphere. Organising meet-ups before the games, encouraging people to relocate to an area of the ground to more easily sing from etc. It’s made a big difference at the City Ground, in response to exactly the sorts of concerns raised in this thread. (See here for a bit of background to them)

The days of unreserved seating/standing on the Kop aren’t ever likely to return, safe standing if it comes in at the Lane will be closer to the existing seating than to old school terracing in how it’s allocated, so yes this sort of gathering of vocal support does need a bit of coordination and buy-in. Safe standing could help to improve the atmosphere, but it’s not a quick fix.

Think it's a generational thing really, when I started going in the 80s mainly grounds were standing, and all you had to concentrate on was the match.

Now if you look round at a game you see loads on phones or taking pictures of each other, or loads of the younger generation are getting coked up in the bogs and causing havoc on the concourse.

Some have said the players need to generate the atmosphere but even in the wilder glory era the atmosphere was flat at home, whereas away from home was far better.

A large group of fans, all stood (sat (winks)) together in the same block of the ground, boys n gals n young n old n black n white, with a large repertoire of songs in support of their team, belting them out throughout the 90 minutes, loud n proud, colourful, flags, banners.

Does anyone think that is cringeworthy or cheesy?

That's the show. That's the objective. That's the end game.

Is that cringeworthy or cheesy?

Because the other peripheral shit. Like drums & choreography & capos. That's where you start in order to get to the objective. That shit is not the objective itself. It's just a quick phase you (might) need to pass through to get a large enough group of "active" fans, who are bang at it. Once they've reached that critical mass of numbers, then, they don't fucking need a drum, choreography, capos.

They can bin 'em then.

Last edited:

A large group of fans, all stood (sat (winks)) together in the same block of the ground, boys n gals n young n old n black n white, with a large repertoire of songs in support of their team, belting them out throughout the 90 minutes, loud n proud, colourful, flags, banners.

Does anyone think that is cringeworthy or cheesy?

That's the show. That's the objective. That's the end game.

Is that cringeworthy or cheesy?

Because the other peripheral shit. Like drums & choreography & capos. That's where you start in order to get to the objective. That shit is not the objective itself. It's just a quick phase you (might) need to pass through to get a large enough group of "active" fans, who are bang at it. Once they've reached that critical mass of numbers, then, they don't fucking need a drum, choreography, capos.

They can bin 'em then.
I see your point but I suspect all the great atmospheres started out with this kind of coordination.

Old school standing helped because like-minded people stood together. That isn't possible again so there's no real way for it to happen unless it's planned.

Back
Top Bottom