CONFIRMED Iliman Ndiaye to Marseille

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It really doesn't matter whether OM are a big draw or big hitters in Europe. We were in League One when Billy came home. Ndiaye wants to go to them as they're his boyhood club, just like Billy. Not for money, not for glory but because he wants to play for who he supports. I would've thought fans of this club would understand that.

If he wanted a potential bigger move he'd hold out until next summer and see who else is interested. He clearly doesn't want to wait a whole season to play for OM and wants to go now to play for them this season and they're the only team he is interested in. If he wanted just Premier League and more money he'd have gone in January or last summer when there were bids, but he didn't.

If we get the £17mil then it's a good deal other than we'd be without Ndiaye, who we'd inevitably be losing at some point in the future. Talents like that don't stay with Championship/lower half Premier League clubs for long.

I really don't understand why people keep saying OM aren't a big draw.

France is a hugely important country, one of the biggest in Europe. OM are one of the best teams in France. Ndiaye is French. Of course they're a big draw. Living in an exciting multicultural city, speaking your own language etc etc.

A lot of people not quite grasping that people who aren't British or living here might have different opinions of their home leagues.

I agree with the non sporting reasons. If that's more important than playing on the universally understood biggest stages and testing himself there good on him. I'd love Blades supporting players with similar sentiment. In fact I'd love football to be like that across the board.

His heart is clearly set on it because if his agent is doing his job he will be telling him to stay put, sign a pre contract agreement in January, £5million signing on fee and 80-100k a week. But yet he wants to go now for a reported £60k a week, unfortunately the love he has for OM is overriding his brain and the correct thing to do right now.

So bye bye Iliman Ndiaye,
Sold you to Marseille so we could pay for the lights,
Those good old times playing in red and white,
Thinking this will be the time that I cry

I can’t help but feel that we’re gonna be robbed of another potential world class player. IIiman Ndiaye is going to be no doubt in my mind world class in future years with better players around him. You can’t fault him for wanting to go to his boyhood club and play on the biggest stage in football.

Double 17 million, and we talk. I think he's worth a lot more though, considering other players fee's.
1. He's not English or the fee would be silly

2. No, £17mil is a good fee for a player who's entering the last year of his contract and can sign a pre-contract agreement for anyone in January. A fee double that? I don't think so.

Haaland was entering the last year of his contract and went to Man City for only £50mil. Mane was entering the last year of his contract and left Liverpool for £34mil. Do you seriously think a kid unproven in the Premier League is worth the same as these two in the same scenario?

Dose of reality needed here dude. No offence.

Last edited:
So we've gone from the French press insisting its a done deal to the Clubs supposedly sitting down to discuss the transfer. So much for the so called ITK's. It took 5 weeks to negotiate the Ramsdale transfer. Anyone thinking this will happen overnight needs to think again. If as a club we have decided to enter into negotiations then there will be a whole host of issues to consider.

Firstly the fee. If we are looking for £20 million thats 23.34 million euros for any french journalist lurkers then it will not simply be a case of agreeing this figure. The structure of payments will be crucial. We may insist on the majority of the fee being paid up front rather than across the whole life of the contract. Then there is the question of add ons. Is it £20 mill plus add ons such as appearances, international caps and goals scored in the future adding to the £20 million fee. Then there is the crucial matter of the sell on clause. OM will be looking to keep this as low as possible as they look to sell on Ndiaye in the next few years for probably double what they paid. We will look to maximise this clause in the region of 25-30%.

Depending on how the negotiations go if OM are low balling us we may look to play the long game to allow for the fact other clubs may become interested if Ndiaye has a good start to the season leading to an auction.

All in all a lot of water to flow under the bridge if the Clubs starting position is they don't wish to sell him this window as has been suggested.
Agree with a lot of this, I don't know anything about the amount that OM are willing to offer, but it appears they are very much pushing from the angle that Ndiaye wants the move and trying to low ball us on the contract as a result, and because he only has a year left. If we're going to lose him we really need to stick to our guns on value, sell-on clause etc. They might not be willing to meet what we expect, hoping the player will force the move, just hope we stand strong and either get the right deal, or he stays and see's his contract out. Or another club comes in and we start again.

Still think he's mad not to try and prove himself in the best league, but he's obviously chasing a dream. Hope it works out for him.

Marseille will sign him and probably would be very happy to pay £20 million for him as he will probably be on a 4 yr contract. He'll tear up that Mickey Mouse French League and in 2 years time one of the Manchester clubs will buy him for £100 million (well - if Harry Maguire was £80 million it's still gotta be cheap yeh?) You read it here first......

His heart is clearly set on it because if his agent is doing his job he will be telling him to stay put, sign a pre contract agreement in January, £5million signing on fee and 80-100k a week. But yet he wants to go now for a reported £60k a week, unfortunately the love he has for OM is overriding his brain and the correct thing to do right now.

If their long game has been to run down his contract (by refusing new deals) then surely leaving early doesn't make much sense. Like you say its more lucrative personally to wait til his contract expires.

He'll be very hard to individually like for like to replace. Dare I say impossible. But two or three top international prospects? That could leave us stronger than this time next year where he goes for a free.

It would leave us stronger, but in the Championship

1. He's not English or the fee would be silly

2. No, £17mil is a good fee for a player who's entering the last year of his contract and can sign a pre-contract agreement for anyone in January. A fee double that? I don't think so.

Haaland was entering the last year of his contract and went to Man City for only £50mil. Mane was entering the last year of his contract and left Liverpool for £34mil. Do you seriously think a kid unproven in the Premier League is worth the same as these two in the same scenario?

Dose of reality needed here dude. No offence.

Fair play, no offence taken, and very well reasoned post. I do think 17 mil is incredibly cheap, but yes seeing more than that in reality is only hopeful at this stage.

We should have got Iliman signed up to a new contract 12 months/6 months ago, with an offer he couldn’t refuse.
A poor strategy from the club, to leave it till now to offer him a contract.
Damage now done, and someone is going to an exceptional footballer at a knock down price, and one we can’t come anywhere near replacing, with the money received.

I certainly don't want him to leave as he is a pleasure to watch and so hard working for a player with his skills, but .... If he is going to go this summer then I want United to get a decent price for him so that can be reinvested back into the squad rebuild, and I want it to happen asap so we have chance to spend that money on something else. What I don't want us to do is have a half interested Ndiaye playing for us after his head has been turned and he is just counting down the time u til he can go. That doesn't help anyone so if he is going let's hop it happens soon and at a decent price for us.

Marseille will sign him and probably would be very happy to pay £20 million for him as he will probably be on a 4 yr contract. He'll tear up that Mickey Mouse French League and in 2 years time one of the Manchester clubs will buy him for £100 million (well - if Harry Maguire was £80 million it's still gotta be cheap yeh?) You read it here first......
Two things
1. If you are correct I hope we put in a massive sell on clause in the contract.
2. If you are not right I hope we put in a buy back clause in the contract.
Strangely I don't think he will be the massive success everyone on here seems to think he will be. It is not that I don't think he has the ability but I think he has to be handled right and he needs a team picked round him that allows him to play to his strengths. Will he get that at Marseille?

I really don't understand why people keep saying OM aren't a big draw.

France is a hugely important country, one of the biggest in Europe. OM are one of the best teams in France. Ndiaye is French. Of course they're a big draw. Living in an exciting multicultural city, speaking your own language etc etc.

A lot of people not quite grasping that people who aren't British or living here might have different opinions of their home leagues.
I agree with a lot, however Marseille is an absolute dump.

We should have got Iliman signed up to a new contract 12 months/6 months ago, with an offer he couldn’t refuse.
Damage now done, and someone is going to an exceptional footballer at a knock down price, and one we can’t come anywhere near replacing, with the money received.

If l had to choose between Marseille and Paris, l think I'd go with Marseille, for no other reason than Fonky Family are from there and Taxi was filmed there.

I oringally thought the same. After the season playing with MGW the club should have tied him down to a new deal then. I think what's happened now is a combination of naivety, budget planning where we didn't know which league we'd be in, and an unforeseen curve ball.

After that season we received bids in the summer for Ndiaye and turned them all down and he didn't express any interest in wanting to leave. The same happened in January where more clubs came in for him which we turned down. Again, Ndiaye expressed no interest in leaving. As far as we were concerned he was happy playing for us and would do next season, so they figured they'd negotiate a new deal in the summer, not during the season, I'll get to that.

The new deal could have included a relegation transfer fee release clause, or Ndiaye might not sign. Other than that sign a new deal and we sell him next summer if we go down for a decent fee. He'd be gone anyway unless we stay up (probably not likely whether he stayed or not, we can only hope). Naivety on the clubs part, but done in the genuine belief that he didn't want to leave and was happy at Bramall Lane, as everything pointed to that and was true.

The curve ball is the involvement of OM, the one club on Planet Earth to get Ndiaye's interest to the point where he has expressed interest in leaving. If other clubs had bid for him this summer I genuinely believe we'd have turned them down and so would have Ndiaye. It's just unfortunate that it's the only club he wants to play for that's come in.

Potentially part of the problem is our cashflow from falling out of the Premier League. We probably wanted to offer Ndiaye a new deal last season, where he would want a deserved pay rise, but we couldn't commit to paying more if we didn't go up. If we failed to go up budgets would be slashed again and we'd have no money to fund an improved contract. That meant we couldn't renegotiate until this summer when we knew what league we'd be jn and what budget we'd have respective to that league. Unfortunately the curve ball has hampered this.

Back
Top Bottom