CONFIRMED Iliman Ndiaye to Marseille

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I wholeheartedly agree. But the club also offered him a new contract (if we are to believe the rumours it would have made him the highest paid player ever in our history).

He didn’t want to sign it. He wanted to leave. We have got a fair whack of money for someone we picked up for nothing.

I can and will pick faults at the club for many things. But I don’t know how much better the outcome could have been. I do feel if we had flat turned down the offer from Marseille. And we had been relegated and lost him for free at the end of the year (which being honest is/was a very likely scenario) there would be as many, if not more critics of that approach.

Gutting though it is. Every club bar 2 or 3 globally is a selling club. Even Liverpool have lost their captain just weeks before the start of the season.
Biggest fuck up is not having a extra year option on young players if we got promoted...

That ‘msg’ didn’t seem very personal to me. The coach, you mean Hecky? My team mates, anyone in particular? No mention of anything specific like a favourite memory.
Doubt he even wrote it. His agent probably charged him 50k to whip it up.
Definitely didn't write it, just can't see him writing 'the lane' either being a none English speaker

So he forced the move then. Fuck him.
We don't know he did that, he's gone to his team he supports, I think it would take a heart of steel to be bitter on that. He's not screwed us over either in my opinion as some have said.

We've lost good players before, as important as Ili, like Deane and Currie for example. That didn't end well admittedly for future prospects. But the last year of the contract and his desire to join Marseille and therefore unwillingness to sign a new deal with us means the club would be taking a big gamble to keep a player who's heart was elsewhere and then on a free. Maybe we should have taken the risk. We'll only know whether we've made the right call come the end of the window.

I wholeheartedly agree. But the club also offered him a new contract (if we are to believe the rumours it would have made him the highest paid player ever in our history).

He didn’t want to sign it. He wanted to leave. We have got a fair whack of money for someone we picked up for nothing.

I can and will pick faults at the club for many things. But I don’t know how much better the outcome could have been. I do feel if we had flat turned down the offer from Marseille. And we had been relegated and lost him for free at the end of the year (which being honest is/was a very likely scenario) there would be as many, if not more critics of that approach.

Gutting though it is. Every club bar 2 or 3 globally is a selling club. Even Liverpool have lost their captain just weeks before the start of the season.
Absolutely spot on.

Best thing to do in any kind of incoming transfer dealing before the window would be to crow about how much money we've just agreed is coming in.

Fair - was a weird statement by snek though. Short term goals!?

Too young to remember him mate! I was born in 1979 which is when he played for us? In my time Ili definitely the most skilful player I've seen, but we've had some other very skilful players of course. Glyn Hodges springs to mind, Franz Carr, Jan Aage Fjortoft, Michael Brown off the top of my head. Borbokis definitely only the second to Ili though in my view, but I can't comment on Sabella other than very brief highlights and it's obvious he was very skilful too.

I actually think Leon Clarke and the fact he could score with both feet, his head and all manner of goals is worth a mention. Brian Deane and James Beattie in terms of goals stands out and Nathan Blake had a fair bit of skill too. We could name loads but the above off the top of my head spring to mind most.

Last edited:
Best thing to do in any kind of incoming transfer dealing before the window would be to crow about how much money we've just agreed is coming in.
A good point a lot of people will forget. Tell everyone you've just got 20m in the bank (hopefully that much or more) and they'll be asking for the lot when we enquire about signing a random academy lad.

No thanks. Refuse to watch.
There was a lot of him playing football as a kid and very little from his time with us which seemed odd, but nice to see the clips from his younger days. One of those players that everyone would have known would be brilliant from a young age. It's been a privilege that he played for United and not someone else in the UK, bar Boreham Wood!

I am not bitter about Illy leaving, and if he was going to go anywhere, I would rather it to there rather than a PL rival - despite how annoying Marseille's supporters are.

But I am bitter about the manner of his departure. Whilst we may never know the details, it really does feel like we were led us on a merry dance, with the last minute change of heart. Where the blame lies is purely conjecture, and whilst our board cannot be excused, neither can Illy, his 'team' and of course Marseille themselves, who seem to have been nibbling at him for weeks without making an actual offer.

We will all lose out because of this, but it's Paul I feel the most sorry for. He seemed to have a great relationship with Illy and he must feel very let down by the situation.
Whether we will get any of that from him later tonight remains to be seen. I am sure he will be focused on getting the rest of the team ready and re shaping the squad, but he deserves better after all he has done for us too.

A good point a lot of people will forget. Tell everyone you've just got 20m in the bank (hopefully that much or more) and they'll be asking for the lot when we enquire about signing a random academy lad.
Whilst I get the point, I'm pretty sure other clubs will have a good idea what sort of fee we've got.

It's not like an owner saying we're spending 50 mill on transfers this summer.

Call me a suspicious old twat, but funny how OM suddenly came with an offer, once they found out he had done the promo for signing a new contract????? On Twatter, now deleted, surprise, surprise, suggested his agent master minded all this?????? Oh well, now he has gone, still does not sit right.

We don't know he did that, he's gone to his team he supports, I think it would take a heart of steel to be bitter on that. He's not screwed us over either in my opinion as some have said.

We've lost good players before, as important as Ili, like Deane and Currie for example. That didn't end well admittedly for future prospects. But the last year of the contract and his desire to join Marseille and therefore unwillingness to sign a new deal with us means the club would be taking a big gamble to keep a player who's heart was elsewhere and then on a free. Maybe we should have taken the risk. We'll only know whether we've made the right call come the end of the window.

You missed this bit then on the official site;

The Blades offered Ndiaye, 23, a new, lucrative contract and talks were initially positive, but the club were unfortunately forced into negotiations with the French Ligue 1 outfit after the player himself expressed a desire to join his boyhood team.

If that isn't the player forcing the move then what is?

Very good player, one of the best I've ever seen play for us, and ultimately the club have fucked up with the contract. But if he doesn't wanna be here then he doesn't want to be here. 1 and a half good seasons in the championship make him little more than a good player that played for us, akin to MGW.

He'd be better off not replying to anybody from now on. He's digging big holes and coming across very bitter when questioned/called out
Clearly misleading our fans because according to FIFA rules no agent or player under contract can be approached they would have needed the clubs permission.

For ages they stated that no bid or contact had been made yet all of a sudden they expect us to believe it just happened like that.

Marseille either tapped up Ndiaye or the club are lying to us and Marseille approached us within the rules and it was United who agreed permission for Ndiaye to speak to them.

Too young to remember him mate! I was born in 1979 which is when he played for us? In my time Ili definitely the most skilful player I've seen, but we've had some other very skilful players of course. Glyn Hodges springs to mind, Franz Carr, Jan Aage Fjortoft, Michael Brown off the top of my head. Borbokis definitely only the second to Ili though in my view, but I can't comment on Sabella other than very brief highlights and it's obvious he was very skilful too.

I actually think Leon Clarke and the fact he could score with both feet, his head and all manner of goals is worth a mention. Brian Deane and James Beattie in terms of goals stands out and Nathan Blake had a fair bit of skill too. We could name loads but the above off the top of my head spring to mind most.
I go back to 1970 and trust me, Sabella isn't even half as good as Illy. Ignore those who think Sabella was better

You missed this bit then on the official site;

The Blades offered Ndiaye, 23, a new, lucrative contract and talks were initially positive, but the club were unfortunately forced into negotiations with the French Ligue 1 outfit after the player himself expressed a desire to join his boyhood team.

If that isn't the player forcing the move then what is?
He clearly wanted out, I just don't like the term forcing the move because it makes me think of Lundstram and Ramsdale and downing tools. I totally get where you're coming from but I would say more that he just desperately wanted to join OM. If we'd not agreed a move with OM then maybe it could have gone like Ramsdale and refusing to play but thankfully that didn't seem the case, not at the time of the move at least.

Good luck to the kid. Marseille looks quite nice to be honest. Nicer weather and get to play with some good names and if they can progress a chance at Champions League football.

Now it’s time to look forward to what could be the most embarrassing season for us Blades or OR we could actually surprise ourselves and the team does enough to stay up.
Hopefully see a couple more through the door( incoming) before the season starts.

I’m not going to watch us v Stuttgart. Was going to but a bit miffed at the mo.

Back
Top Bottom