Iliman Ndiaye a thing of beauty .

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
Its loveliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness; but still will keep
A bower quiet for us, and a sleep
Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing.
Therefore, on every morrow, are we wreathing
A flowery band to bind us to the earth,
Spite of despondence, of the inhuman dearth
Of noble natures, of the gloomy days,
Of all the unhealthy and o'er-darkened ways
Made for our searching: yes, in spite of all,
Some shape of beauty moves away the pall
From our dark spirits. Such the sun, the moon,
Trees old, and young, sprouting a shady boon
For simple sheep; and such are daffodils
With the green world they live in; and clear rills
That for themselves a cooling covert make
'Gainst the hot season; the mid forest brake,
Rich with a sprinkling of fair musk-rose blooms:
And such too is the grandeur of the dooms
We have imagined for the mighty dead;
All lovely tales that we have heard or read:
An endless fountain of immortal drink,
Pouring unto us from the heaven's brink.

etc

In order (Started going in 1988)

Ndiaye
Deane
Brown for 18 months
MGW
Jags
Stevens for 6 months
Brooks for about an hour total
Tonge for about 3 months
Fjortoft

Then it's a drop off to the consistent 7/10's (Duffy, Norwood, Egan, JOC, Fleck, McCall, Murphy, Morgan etc) and the very, very good but only occasionally or once like Kabba, Littleton, Blake etc
Borbokis?

I'm 36, never saw TC. Can't compare. Illiman is the single most exciting player I've ever seen at Lane.

His close control, his low centre of gravity and his burst of pace - unreal. He's unphased by the amount of players that surround him because he has some trick he can bring out. His personal goal isn't the PL or CL. Its the Ballon D'or. That's what he's aiming for and I can believe him. He certainly has the determination. And he seems very down to earth too.

So yeah, best player I've ever seen at Lane.

To be honest he's not all what you lot are saying about him. He can be lazy disinterested and lacking in ability in the box. He is also a bad influence in the dressing room and causes upset. So if any top clubs fans are reading this, then don't go anywhere near him. A total waste of money. You would be much better off going for the super talent in the league below. Think he's called Barry Bannion or something.

To be honest he's not all what you lot are saying about him. He can be lazy disinterested and lacking in ability in the box. He is also a bad influence in the dressing room and causes upset. So if any top clubs fans are reading this, then don't go anywhere near him. A total waste of money. You would be much better off going for the super talent in the league below. Think he's called Barry Bannion or something.

Sounds like Malcolm Allison's scouting notes about Colin Bell.

He's totally overrated (in case any scouts are reading this thread).

Diddsy wasn’t too bad if I remember rightly, a joy to watch..

Agree....altho with Didzy it was his intelligence and attitude/ workrate that impressed me more than his skill.
The way he used to drop deeper into midfielder and play so many simple but really effective passes, then find pockets of space up front between midfield and attack.
We used to call it "the Duffy role" and Didzy was great at it. He was one of our most important players, better than I ever thought he would be.

However lets not forget the original playmaker, Mark Duffy.
In all my decades watching United, still easily one of the players I've enjoyed watching the most, surprised he's not more well known nationally.

In terms of numbers recorded by the club, he was one of the highest for stamina and fitness last season. Which issues are you referring to?
He was consistently breaking down and coming off after 60/70 mins.

UTB

I said he was better than MGW last season and stand by it. The only thing missing was the physique which was obviously going to come with more exposure in the first team environment. What he did last season was incredible given his fitness and lack of top level experience. Out of possession, protecting the ball with back to goal, footwork, positional flexibility, quick thinking, dribbling, reading of the game. I also said if we don't get him on a long deal NOW we'll lose him for peanuts relative to his real worth. "You sleep, you weep" was the oft repeated phrase I used. It was obvious that by Jan 2023 - at the latest - it would, realistically, be far too late. What these highly paid football professionals didn't see is beyond me, unless the issue is financial. I'm also worried about Jebbo, Osula, Bogle etc contact situations.

Last edited:
I said he was better than MGW last season and stand by it. The only thing missing was the physique which was obviously going to come with more exposure in the first team environment. What he did last season was incredible given his fitness and lack of top level experience. Out of possession, protecting the ball with back to goal, footwork, positional flexibility, quick thinking, dribbling, reading of the game. I also said if we don't get him on a long deal NOW we'll lose him for peanuts relative to his real worth. "You sleep, you weep" was the oft repeated phrase I used. It was obvious that by Jan 2023 - at the latest - it would, realistically, be far too late. What these highly paid football professionals didn't see is beyond me, unless the issue is financial. I'm also worried about Jebbo, Osula, Bogle etc contact situations.
Imagine if we had those 2 behind a front lad this season..... we would have pissed the league.

Grealish struggles for a start at Man City.

I’m agreed though on the type of club he needs. Unless he acts a twat (Ramsdale/Lundstram) when he leaves, I’m sure he’ll have everyone’s best wishes.
There was a infographic on Match of the Day on Saturday. Grealish has started 12 of the 14 games City have played since the World Cup. He's very much first choice at the moment.

In terms of numbers recorded by the club, he was one of the highest for stamina and fitness last season. Which issues are you referring to?

He was consistently breaking down and coming off after 60/70 mins.

UTB

Stats to back you up Dronnie:

Iliman Ndiaye mins played
0 (not in squad/ on bench)​
Sub on (assumed from less than 45 mins)45-59 mins60-74 mins75-89 mins
Full Game (assumed from 90 mins)​
2021/22
16​
6​
3​
10​
9​
2​
2022/23
0​
2​
1​
5​
10​
20​

Clear difference between the two seasons. Ndiaye completed the 90 mins twice in the Championship last season out of 30 appearances, he's done so 20 out of 38 appearances this season. That also means that he's played in every game this year where last year he missed over a third.

Not sure if it's just the "spin" the social media lot put on it but Ili comes across as genuinely one of the soundest people ever to pull on a Blades shirt as well. Charismatic, funny, kind, positive... #marrymeiliman

2021/22
16​
6​
3​
10​
9​
2​
2022/23
0​
2​
1​
5​
10​
20​

Clear difference between the two seasons. Ndiaye completed the 90 mins twice in the Championship last season out of 30 appearances, he's done so 20 out of 38 appearances this season. That also means that he's played in every game this year where last year he missed over a third.

Playing time isn't always an indicator of fitness though. He missed the first handful of games last season due to his contract issues. When he was subbed off in games it was usually tactical. When he missed games it was also usually tactical, with MGW selected in favour. It was his first season in men's football and he wasn't performing as consistently well as he is this season, hence less playing time. It wasn't generally related to his fitness or him "breaking down" in games.

There was a infographic on Match of the Day on Saturday. Grealish has started 12 of the 14 games City have played since the World Cup. He's very much first choice at the moment.
Yep, Grealish has played his way in this season. He's one of the best players in the PL for me, never understood why he wasn't playing. Even at Man City with all their superstars, he's something a bit different and gets bums off seats.

When he was subbed off in games it was usually tactical. When he missed games it was also usually tactical, with MGW selected in favour. It was his first season in men's football and he wasn't performing as consistently well as he is this season, hence less playing time. It wasn't generally related to his fitness or him "breaking down" in games.

There were several games where he was done with cramp around the hour mark and he'd give way. First season at the level it was no surprise and I suspect no-one is criticising him for it.

He has come on leaps and bounds this season as he doesn't tire as easily and his decision making is sharper throughout the game. He still makes the wrong decisions (as everyone does) but not nearly as much as he did last season.

As an aside, if you watch him in the warm up, when they play as three teams and one team has to get the ball back from the other two, I have never seen anyone as competitive when doing this whether it be hunting the ball down or making sure he never gives it away, quite extraordinary and encapsulates his competitive spirit.

2021/22
16​
6​
3​
10​
9​
2​
2022/23
0​
2​
1​
5​
10​
20​

And a clear demonstration that the player put in the hard yards in the gym and with conditioning coaches over the summer to dramatically improve this aspect.

The results have been a joy to behold 😁.

UTB

Agree....altho with Didzy it was his intelligence and attitude/ workrate that impressed me more than his skill.
The way he used to drop deeper into midfielder and play so many simple but really effective passes, then find pockets of space up front between midfield and attack.
We used to call it "the Duffy role" and Didzy was great at it. He was one of our most important players, better than I ever thought he would be.

However lets not forget the original playmaker, Mark Duffy.
In all my decades watching United, still easily one of the players I've enjoyed watching the most, surprised he's not more well known nationally.
The thing that was so good about watching Didzy and Duffy was that whenever they were on the ball it was like the game was being played in slow motion. They totally dictated the pace of the game when they were on the ball.

One unique facet to his game compared to a lot of others is that having come from non-league, he's used to some right cloggers trying to kick lumps out of him and knows how to make them look stupid, not the sort of thing that the lads from Man City will have experienced in the reserves or at age group level, same goes for most if not all top level academy products.

Assuming we go up, he can have a season with us, put himself in the shop window and there will be clubs queueing up to sign him and we'll make a fortune in the process. He's pretty much the key between us being sustainable in the next couple of years or becoming a Huddersfield type shit show

I remember us all waxing lyrical about Brooks, who was pretty bloody good but Iliman is a step up and has all the ability to go right to the top if he really wants to.

We're unlikely to see anyone of this calibre in a Blades shirt again in a long time, no matter how much we get for him.

You can't teach this, you either got it or you ain't got it.
He didn’t have anywhere near that talent when he was recruited. The coaching staff have worked with him over the last few years and credit goes to the both himself and the staff.This lad can go all the way to the top if he continues.

Fair point mate, but MGW had terrific nuisance value that should not be underestimated. A great player for us and a pity we couldn't retain his services.
Totally agree. He infuriated the fuck out of me in the first 3/4 months he was here, many a time having a strop, giving away time and time again, constantly doing skill related passes rather than the simple straight forward pass....

But the final 4 months or so, everything seemed to come off, he was superb.

One thing I will say about him, even in games he was having a shocker, he never hid and still wanted the ball aswell as working his arse off.

We can’t do deals for reasons we all know, (Unlike Beerschott who who miraculously given 5m to come out of it in Jan) I admire illiman for many reasons first he’s a great player and second he chose to stay with us rather than go to Everton.

Back
Top Bottom