If we thought Wilder..

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Y'know when Wilder left us prematurely when he did I thought once he'd had a chance to settle down perhaps have a bit more success at other clubs and grow a bit he'd be back- even put it on FB, it's out there somewhere.
What I didn't expect was for him to go on to fail at every other job he took all the time showing he'd learnt nothing and if anything regressing as a manager. I called it but if it happens I am sure we will regret it.

No seriously... what has changed?

It will all end in tears.
Tears of joy?

I appreciate some are not happy about his impending appointment. Whether that be the final season under him, the way he left or that they think he's a mardy busted flush nowadays.

Fact remains he is set to be appointed and we would do well to let him have a go without any murmurings of flack or disgruntlement.

IF and it's a big if. But IF he can start to improve performances to levels in the seasons prior to the final season under him we will see improvements on the pitch.

It's also worth noting that despite being dreadful in that final season our goals against was 13 better at this stage of the season. Which is frankly mad. (25 Vs 38)

In 19/20 season we had only conceded 13 goals in 14 games and sat on 19 points.
19 points right now would have us level with Chelsea and Brentford.

You don’t know what’s changed?

Wilders career is almost over, reputation damaged. He’s fighting for his life and will be the most motivated manager we’ve ever had with a point to prove. A wounded animal is very dangerous, the players won’t know what’s going to hit them.

Also he’s shown on many occasions at Northampton and Sheff Utd, he can turn average players into teams that perform miles better than anyone can expect, so he excels with average to poor players, ironically its when he has high quality player with pressure and expectations he’s found wanting.

4 years at Sheff United…3 years massively over performing his budget achieving more than any Sheff United manager in living memory. 1 year under performing, had to go.

Also what about giving people a chance, Accepting that people can learn from mistakes. What about compassion and forgiveness. The Prince knows the truth and he’s kissed and made up, why do people feel the need to be offended on his behalf.

Not aimed at you but I’ve seen some real vitriol and it makes zero sense. There’s some nasty people in society full of hate, probably leading frustrating unhappy lives so looking for a scapegoat to direct their anger. They have this “put them in prison and throw away the key mentality”, these people are toxic.

Have reservations, I also have doubts about the long term, there’s better options out they but due to our circumstances we weee selecting from a real poor set of washed out managers and Wilder is easily the best we could have realistically appointed, sensible choice. Also this is more about short term options and very confident Wilder will have the team performing so much better than Hecky. Even say you think a manager will fail, to be honest every manager fails eventually in the longer term, giving reasons but surely any proper Blade will always want us to win. Love Sheffield United first, hate Wilder second.

Last edited:

Wouldn’t be upset about that based on this season so far! And yes that includes Anel.
Anel, Traore, Souza, Hamer,Slimani and larouci all transfer list in Jan.

Any ideas on who we replace them?

Feel like we are a club at the moment having to shop at Farm Foods as thats all we can afford but then we are moaning that we haven't got prime steak. We have to accept the rat burgers we can afford but hope that with enough ketchup, cheese and gerkins it tastes half decent.

Anel last season was amazing, maybe he is being found out at this level but can't see us buying anyone better

Traore, agree but maybe just send him out on loan, he is still a kid

Souza, I think at the start of the season was a good signing, has potential

Hamer, as above

Slimani, Not sure he has actually been played much, again, pre season looked like he could be a good player

Larouci is on loan anyway so we wouldnt' even get any cash for him

Didn't want Wilder to go but don't want him back because he isn't what we need other than probably for the next couple of months. Wilder skill was getting the best out mid career players who bought into a die for the team ethos. He had the tactical input from Knill and Petheridge kept his players fit so there were rarely changes in the team. He never showed much inkling to bring younger players through. that isn't particularly a criticism, he didn't need or want to take the risk. Hecky , with his background at the club has been much more willing to bring in youngster , all be it on a limited basis. But his signing this summer have been younger players, not the Wilder type. The club isn't in a financial position to suddenly change direction. There are a lot of players at the end of their contracts, a lot of players we simply have to let go and start again. I don't see Wilder doing that.

Wilders career is almost over, reputation damaged. He’s fighting for his life and will be the most motivated manager we’ve ever had with a point to prove. A wounded animal is very dangerous, the players won’t know what’s going to hit them.

Also he’s shown on many occasions at Northampton and Sheff Utd, he can turn average players into teams that perform miles better than anyone can expect, so he excels with average to poor players, ironically its when he has high quality player with pressure and expectations he’s found wanting.

4 years at Sheff United…3 years massively over performing his budget achieving more than any Sheff United manager in living memory. 1 year under performing, had to go.

Also what about giving people a chance, Accepting that people can learn from mistakes. What about compassion and forgiveness. The Prince knows the truth and he’s kissed and made up, why do people feel the need to be offended on his behalf.

Not aimed at you but I’ve seen some real vitriol and it makes zero sense. There’s some nasty people in society full of hate, probably leading frustrating unhappy lives so looking for a scapegoat to direct their anger. They have this “put them in prison and throw away the key mentality”, these people are toxic.

Have reservations, I also have doubts about the long term, there’s better options out they but due to our circumstances we weee selecting from a real poor set of washed out managers and Wilder is easily the best we could have realistically appointed, sensible choice. Also this is more about short term options and very confident Wilder will have the team performing so much better than Hecky. Even say you think a manager will fail, to be honest every manager fails eventually in the longer term, giving reasons but surely any proper Blade will always want us to win. Love Sheffield United first, hate Wilder second.
I truly hope im wrong . I'll give him every chance and hope he succeeds.

He is a bit of a tart though isn't our Chris?

Well some of that "load of rubbish" contracts will be up real soon. So that must be nice knowing he doesn't have to watch/coach them for 4/5 years. Also he resigned when fans weren't allowed to attend, so that's a nice change too.

Let's be honest, the board had to be seen to be doing "something" and how many managers could we attract with an owner that's keen to sell and seemingly skint?

Back
Top Bottom