If Warnock wasn’t sacked...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Irrelevant really. His contract wasn't being renewed so that was it. He was going at the end of June and that's a fact. In the link I posted, he's quoted as saying he'd resigned. He tends to say whatever suits him at the time.

Aye I would agree with that he was going to go whatever and he changes his stance to suit. In my view sacking Warnock was a huge mistake. Had we stayed up then i could understand McCabe opting for a more PL experienced manager but as we were back in the Championship, there was no better manager to get us back up than Warnock as his record has proved. If our fans had got on his back then we can only blame our own fan base because we had the best that we could possibly wish for.

I don't like Warnock's ego or his flirtation with the Pompey job and then Wednesday after he left but you can't knock what he did for us and he remains a top manager.

He wasn’t sacked, he resigned.

Another myth. He had no option. He was sacked to all intents and purposes. KM is on record as saying he should have sacked him twelve months earlier. He’s right. He’s out of his depth in the Prem, him.

74FCAE86-1EE7-43FC-A77E-AD74A542F469.jpeg

Think he would of been our pulis and established us in the premier league.

As evidenced by his multiple failures to ever survive more than a season in the Prem at any club?

D3FB4277-584A-4B5C-A94A-368740A9771C.jpeg

The Alan Partridge of football.

Him, he’s never had a second series, him.

As evidenced by his multiple failures to ever survive more than a season in the Prem at any club?

View attachment 37964

The Alan Partridge of football.

Him, he’s never had a second series, him.

As an aside, and putting that worrying image of an exaggerated shnozz, what has happened to Warnock's eyebrows? He's taken on the mantle of vampiric pensioner even more than usual.

Where do you think we would be now if Warnock hadn’t been sacked following our relegation?

Warnock has a terrific record in the Championship and has achieved at numerous clubs since leaving us. Do you think he would have got us promoted again the season we went down? What would we have achieved over the last 10 years under his helm?

I suspect we would be a lower Premier League club right now if he hadn’t been sacked, but we would be playing some pretty agricultural football.

Answers on a postcard.
I've said all along that with a football-savvy chairman in charge, Warnock would have been sacked 6 months previous, al la Adkins (Southampton). Get someone in who knows what they're doing in the top flight. After that (and relegation) passed, Warnock should have been kept on, as he was probably the best person to get us back up.

So yeah, two more of McCabe's bollocks right there.

Warnock is a big nosed cunt who touted himself to Portsmouth. He should be deleted from SUFC history.

I bet it was Warnock who told Jagielka to purposely handball it against Wigan as well.
Hey Warnock wouldn’t do that!

It was the Leeds job that he really wanted.

Another myth. He had no option. He was sacked to all intents and purposes. KM is on record as saying he should have sacked him twelve months earlier. He’s right. He’s out of his depth in the Prem, him.

View attachment 37962

I agree Pinchy that Warnock was sacked. I have no doubt that Warnock would have stayed on if he was offered the chance. I am also critical of Warnock for his loyalty to us during the promotion season when he flirted with Pompey. Worst still was his flirting with Wednesday, having always said he was a massive Blade. However! As a manager he is a top manager and although he is more at home in the Championship I always think its very hard to say Warnock was out of his depth in the Prem.

He had one season with Notts County in the early 90's and that was a miracle that they were there in the first place. The other season was with us obviously. Reading were an outstanding team and they were always going to stay up. Watford however were average and we were better than them. So it leaves us having to finish above two teams that were already in the Prem. Baring in mind the luck we had that season with the injury to Hulse and also the Tevez affair, to go down on goal difference seems hardly that Warnock was out of his depth. I think that's a very harsh assessment and 38 points in other seasons would keep United up. Others granted it wouldn't. I accept Warnock made mistakes but who wouldn't, he's human. If Jags hadn't had a moment of shear madness or Webber had finished in the game v Wigan we'd have all said what an achievement it was. You also had the top sides fielding squad sides in crucial matches against our rivals. If I sound like Warnock its because I totally agree with him but because Warnock was a whining sod at the best of times, people think he's just making excuses but they were fully valid.

I agree Pinchy that Warnock was sacked. I have no doubt that Warnock would have stayed on if he was offered the chance. I am also critical of Warnock for his loyalty to us during the promotion season when he flirted with Pompey. Worst still was his flirting with Wednesday, having always said he was a massive Blade. However! As a manager he is a top manager and although he is more at home in the Championship I always think its very hard to say Warnock was out of his depth in the Prem.

He had one season with Notts County in the early 90's and that was a miracle that they were there in the first place. The other season was with us obviously. Reading were an outstanding team and they were always going to stay up. Watford however were average and we were better than them. So it leaves us having to finish above two teams that were already in the Prem. Baring in mind the luck we had that season with the injury to Hulse and also the Tevez affair, to go down on goal difference seems hardly that Warnock was out of his depth. I think that's a very harsh assessment and 38 points in other seasons would keep United up. Others granted it wouldn't. I accept Warnock made mistakes but who wouldn't, he's human. If Jags hadn't had a moment of shear madness or Webber had finished in the game v Wigan we'd have all said what an achievement it was. You also had the top sides fielding squad sides in crucial matches against our rivals. If I sound like Warnock its because I totally agree with him but because Warnock was a whining sod at the best of times, people think he's just making excuses but they were fully valid.

So if we sign a player on a two year contract and when that two years is up we don't offer him another one we've sacked him?

Warnock veers from resigned to sacked when it suits. The reality is his contract had run out and he wasn't getting a new one. He knew this and lost focus, preferring to whine to the press. The answer lies in the question what happened to make McCabe decide not to renew or extend his contract at a time when we were safe. That'd make interesting reading.

The answer lies in the question what happened to make McCabe decide not to renew or extend his contract at a time when we were safe. That'd make interesting reading.

McCabe is too professional to reveal it.

Warnock's version would depend on which way the wind was blowing. It might include something on the 'magic of the cup and Norwich coaches driving through Frecheville.....'

So if we sign a player on a two year contract and when that two years is up we don't offer him another one we've sacked him?

Warnock veers from resigned to sacked when it suits. The reality is his contract had run out and he wasn't getting a new one. He knew this and lost focus, preferring to whine to the press. The answer lies in the question what happened to make McCabe decide not to renew or extend his contract at a time when we were safe. That'd make interesting reading.

I agree with you that Warnock no doubt changes his stance on it to suit. But for me the fact that we didn't offer him another contract states that McCabe wanted to look elsewhere which although not sacked is hardly an endorsement for what McCabe thought of Warnock. We were never safe but I know what you mean re looking safe. McCabe didn't offer a new contract because he wanted a more experienced PL manager and I totally get that. However when we got relegated I'd have said to Warnock, give us another season get us promoted and we'll assess from next season and then Warnock and McCabe could have agreed where to go between them. Instead McCabe got ahead of ourselves and thought Bryan Robson was a better choice than Warnock and only McCabe must have thought that was a god move!

I agree with you that Warnock no doubt changes his stance on it to suit. But for me the fact that we didn't offer him another contract states that McCabe wanted to look elsewhere which although not sacked is hardly an endorsement for what McCabe thought of Warnock. We were never safe but I know what you mean re looking safe. McCabe didn't offer a new contract because he wanted a more experienced PL manager and I totally get that. However when we got relegated I'd have said to Warnock, give us another season get us promoted and we'll assess from next season and then Warnock and McCabe could have agreed where to go between them. Instead McCabe got ahead of ourselves and thought Bryan Robson was a better choice than Warnock and only McCabe must have thought that was a god move!

Warnock had blotted his copybook. He'd done at the club. McCabes mistake was actually letting Fat Turry appoint his drinking pal.

Warnock had blotted his copybook. He'd done at the club. McCabes mistake was actually letting Fat Turry appoint his drinking pal.

I don't see how getting us promoted and then getting 38 points meant his time was done with the club?! We almost stayed up and as I said a few things went against us, just as they did in 1994. I could have accepted Warnock going if we'd stayed up and looked for a more experienced PL manager but as I said before, we got relegated, so who is the best man to take us back?! Neil Warnock, and that's in spite of all the crap about if we'd started badly the fans would have made life hell for him. There would have been pressure to succeed but we would have been play offs minimum.

I don't see how getting us promoted and then getting 38 points meant his time was done with the club?! We almost stayed up and as I said a few things went against us, just as they did in 1994. I could have accepted Warnock going if we'd stayed up and looked for a more experienced PL manager but as I said before, we got relegated, so who is the best man to take us back?! Neil Warnock, and that's in spite of all the crap about if we'd started badly the fans would have made life hell for him. There would have been pressure to succeed but we would have been play offs minimum.

You clearly don't know what happened then. I should have said United were finished with him.

Here's another of Neil's version of events.

Warnock conceded that it was time for him to move on, but insisted he could be proud of what he has achieved since arriving in 1999.

“Kevin McCabe and I sat down together on Monday because I had come to the decision that it was time for me to leave Sheffield United.

“I have been at the club for seven-and-a-half years and if anyone could turn the clock back to where we were then and how we are now, it is fair to say that we have come a

long, long way."

Here's another of Neil's version of events.

Warnock conceded that it was time for him to move on, but insisted he could be proud of what he has achieved since arriving in 1999.

“Kevin McCabe and I sat down together on Monday because I had come to the decision that it was time for me to leave Sheffield United.

“I have been at the club for seven-and-a-half years and if anyone could turn the clock back to where we were then and how we are now, it is fair to say that we have come a
long, long way."

5757921E-7EC2-4F3F-B46F-9E836B9041BA.jpeg

Warnock leaving was the start of our demise
No. Warnock staying when we were in the Premier League was the start of our demise. Spunking money on the likes of Claude Davis and Ahmed Fathi and countless strikers who never saw the light of day. And playing the most negative football away from home.

If Colin hadn't gone , it would have made no difference in my book ,
We are after all the best fans , set up , best set of lads he's ever worked with . ( put any club you want )
He's a good championship manager , but a wank premier league one ,
It wasn't an overnight success for him with us either ,
I appreciate his time at the helm with us , and thank him unreservedly .
But I think at the time it was the right decision for him to go / resign / get the sack
Let's be right some of his tactics in games in that season where mind boggling at times
I know the penalty misses v Chelsea and Blacburn didn't help ,
We may not have spent all those years , flapping around in League 1
But if Ched , if Simo , that first season in league 1 we where almost unstoppable
if his number 2 at Cardiff had been fucked out after the playoff defeat it could have been turned around sooner as well .
So for me no it would have made no difference

When is your book out? Will it sell more than Colin's?

No. Warnock staying when we were in the Premier League was the start of our demise. Spunking money on the likes of Claude Davis and Ahmed Fathi and countless strikers who never saw the light of day. And playing the most negative football away from home.
Who would you have signed ?

Genuine answer : think he would have got us back up but we would have got relegated again and 10 years later we'd be more or less where we are now, apart from maybe we wouldn't have spent 6 seasons in League One... maybe.

Maybe this could be the start of a new feature : What if??????

1. John Nicholson hadn't died when we were at our most successful
2. We'd have stopped playing cricket at the Lane a lot sooner
3. We'd not built the South Stand
4. We'd appointed Brian Clough when we had the opportunity
5. We'd signed Diego Maradona
6. We'd not appointed Harry Haslam
7. We'd not sold TC, Mick Jones, Birchenall, Willie Carlin, Brian Deane and Jimmy Dunne
8. Martin Peters had picked Tony Kenworthy to play for the Walsall game

There's probably about 100 others!

We should really add to that, "yeah while we are buying that Kyle Naughton, we can take the other lad as well if you want, we are doing you a favour, Kyle something or other, Walker is it?, yeah go on, I am robbing myself here, but go on, we will add a bit more to price and take him off your hands......"

If Colin hadn't gone , it would have made no difference in my book ,
We are after all the best fans , set up , best set of lads he's ever worked with . ( put any club you want )
He's a good championship manager , but a wank premier league one ,
It wasn't an overnight success for him with us either ,
I appreciate his time at the helm with us , and thank him unreservedly .
But I think at the time it was the right decision for him to go / resign / get the sack
Let's be right some of his tactics in games in that season where mind boggling at times
I know the penalty misses v Chelsea and Blacburn didn't help ,
We may not have spent all those years , flapping around in League 1
But if Ched , if Simo , that first season in league 1 we where almost unstoppable
if his number 2 at Cardiff had been fucked out after the playoff defeat it could have been turned around sooner as well .
So for me no it would have made no difference

All history now, and no one knows how things would have panned out, but I genuinely believe that, on the roll he was on, Ched would have scored the goals to take us up in automatic.

The new strategy was to go for a big name manager who would be known worldwide. Also someone who could attract big name players. The irony is when we were relegated it’s the most ambitious the club has ever been.

They tried to appoint Kenny Dalglish and also went for Graham Taylor as director of football.

Think this one was the other way round pal, I am sure that I read that Dalgish had called KM (because they knew each other) and offered to come in short-term, for one season, and put everything back on track.

Back
Top Bottom