If Warnock wasn’t sacked...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If Colin hadn't gone , it would have made no difference in my book ,
We are after all the best fans , set up , best set of lads he's ever worked with . ( put any club you want )
He's a good championship manager , but a wank premier league one ,
It wasn't an overnight success for him with us either ,
I appreciate his time at the helm with us , and thank him unreservedly .
But I think at the time it was the right decision for him to go / resign / get the sack
Let's be right some of his tactics in games in that season where mind boggling at times
I know the penalty misses v Chelsea and Blacburn didn't help ,
We may not have spent all those years , flapping around in League 1
But if Ched , if Simo , that first season in league 1 we where almost unstoppable
if his number 2 at Cardiff had been fucked out after the playoff defeat it could have been turned around sooner as well .
So for me no it would have made no difference

Where do you think we would be now if Warnock hadn’t been sacked following our relegation?

Warnock has a terrific record in the Championship and has achieved at numerous clubs since leaving us. Do you think he would have got us promoted again the season we went down? What would we have achieved over the last 10 years under his helm?

I suspect we would be a lower Premier League club right now if he hadn’t been sacked, but we would be playing some pretty agricultural football.

Answers on a postcard.

Wouldn't have got relegated if he'd played 4-4-2 at Villa

with 3 games to go that season i was ridiculed by fellow blades for saying
"if we stay up, sack him. If we get relegated pay him what he wants"
i do understand that sounds bollox, but square peg for a square hole.
he knows how to get out of this division, but is tactically naïve in the prem.
but to answer the question - gone back up, and probably yo-yo'd, but financially too strong to go to league1.

We wouldn't have even been in the PL without Warnock
Why? He had 8 years. In the promotion season he had the best part of 3 to 4 million to spend........

And spunked most of that on Ade Akinbiyi and Geoff fucking Horsfield!:rolleyes:

What would have happened if the fans had got what they wanted and Warnock was sacked at the end of the 04/05 season I wonder...........

Where do you think we would be now if Warnock hadn’t been sacked following our relegation?

Warnock has a terrific record in the Championship and has achieved at numerous clubs since leaving us. Do you think he would have got us promoted again the season we went down? What would we have achieved over the last 10 years under his helm?

I suspect we would be a lower Premier League club right now if he hadn’t been sacked, but we would be playing some pretty agricultural football.

Answers on a postcard.
The relationship had run it's course. Warnock wasn't getting the kind of adulation from the fans that he (always) thought he deserved. A large number of fans (me very much included) were sick of his woe is me, blame anyone but himself bollocks.

Don't judge Warnocks demise along with the disastrous Robson appointment. Yes Warnock is a much better manager but he was done at United.

The way things have gone since we won promotion to the PL you could say that absolutely any alternative along the way would most likely have seen us in a better position today. Even McCabe going for a dump in trap 3 instead of trap 2 could have been the catalyst for European glory (within the 5 years).

Don't judge Warnocks demise along with the disastrous Robson appointment. Yes Warnock is a much better manager but he was done at United.

You do understand 'cause and effect', don't you?

Robson came about, because Warnock was sacked.

Love the hivemind mentality in this thread and the pretty short memories of some pretty good times as a Blades fan. Its almost as if Warnock achieved fuck all whilst at the helm. I wonder if Tufty will get the same treatment once HRH and McCabe have finished cucumbering each other and he either leaves in frustration or is moved on by the new regime.

Has anyone considered what those glory years may have been like had we properly invested in squad strength in depth? It took one injury to pop our balloon (sound familiar?) and the back-up brigade weren't up to much. We managed six goals in nine remaining matches since Hulse was injured. Had we adequate backup (and three of those goals came from John Stead), we would possibly had done better - when all is said and done, we were relegated on GD.

To go up a league, you need proper skill input. Looking at the ins and outs of the 2005 STW, we didn't exactly build for the future, moreover patch up places one-brick thick.

Warnock had his flaws - we all know that. But I feel we'd have lasted longer in the PL had we the players in key areas where it mattered. His 4-5-1 at Villa was there to play for the draw and he fucked up badly because they were all over us, and the pressure was then on us to get that result in the last game. That was his fault, but I think some people are a bit mealy mouthed with credit where credit should be due. What were the options to Warnock and given his capability to turn a team round, I'd say he did well, much the same as Tufty is doing now.

pommpey

I remember after that Wigan games fans were furious and looking for a scapegoat.
Warnock was given a target of PL and FAILED.

If Warnock had stsyed unless we were basically top of the league from the start it would have turned toxic at Bramall Lane.

Normally when there been failure, clubs sack the manager and start again.
It was no surprise Warnock was sacked and it seemed the right decision at the time.

It was no surprise Warnock was sacked and it seemed the right decision at the time.

Seemed like a good idea to hire a pisshead to replace him, too.

First hand anecdotal accounts from players at the time about the fragrant atmosphere at the training ground in the morning under his replacement. Fragrant, as in that smell when you know someone is nudging the turps a bit too much.

pommpey

There's probably about 100 others!

Fax machine

Simmo's penalty

Ched not getting sent down

Beard not getting stretchered off against Swindon

Hans Segers making the easiest save in the world against Everton

Tevez being suspended by the PL until correct ownership could be proven

Beating Leicester 9-0 in 1979 (okay I'm being a bit silly now)

You do understand 'cause and effect', don't you?

Robson came about, because Warnock was sacked.

Love the hivemind mentality in this thread and the pretty short memories of some pretty good times as a Blades fan. Its almost as if Warnock achieved fuck all whilst at the helm. I wonder if Tufty will get the same treatment once HRH and McCabe have finished cucumbering each other and he either leaves in frustration or is moved on by the new regime.

Has anyone considered what those glory years may have been like had we properly invested in squad strength in depth? It took one injury to pop our balloon (sound familiar?) and the back-up brigade weren't up to much. We managed six goals in nine remaining matches since Hulse was injured. Had we adequate backup (and three of those goals came from John Stead), we would possibly had done better - when all is said and done, we were relegated on GD.

To go up a league, you need proper skill input. Looking at the ins and outs of the 2005 STW, we didn't exactly build for the future, moreover patch up places one-brick thick.

Warnock had his flaws - we all know that. But I feel we'd have lasted longer in the PL had we the players in key areas where it mattered. His 4-5-1 at Villa was there to play for the draw and he fucked up badly because they were all over us, and the pressure was then on us to get that result in the last game. That was his fault, but I think some people are a bit mealy mouthed with credit where credit should be due. What were the options to Warnock and given his capability to turn a team round, I'd say he did well, much the same as Tufty is doing now.

pommpey
Warnock being sacked/leaving caused a vacancy. McCabe chose to give Robson the job.

The effect of Warnock leaving was we found out McCabe was shit at selecting new managers. Nobody knew that when Warnock left.

My post said Warnocks time at United was done. I didn't criticise his achievements.

Personally, I was pleased when he left, I never warmed to him. Doesn't mean he didn't have success.

Seemed like a good idea to hire a pisshead to replace him, too.

First hand anecdotal accounts from players at the time about the fragrant atmosphere at the training ground in the morning under his replacement. Fragrant, as in that smell when you know someone is nudging the turps a bit too much.

pommpey

The new strategy was to go for a big name manager who would be known worldwide. Also someone who could attract big name players. The irony is when we were relegated it’s the most ambitious the club has ever been.

They tried to appoint Kenny Dalglish and also went for Graham Taylor as director of football.

IF we go up this season, we need a three year plan:-

1) Assume that we will be relegated in the first season and set the transfer/wages budget accordingly (think Burnley).
2) Reward Chris Wilder and his staff with low Premiership / top Championship level contracts
3) Allow Wilder to sign several new players of Premiership quality on 3 year contracts
4) If we do go straight back down, DO NOT PANIC. Don't sack the manager and staff. Keep the squad together. Plan to bounce straight back up again.
5) If we fail to bounce straight back up, the players on Premiership wages can be sold and their wages won't cripple the club financially

This is the plan we failed to follow in 2006 and the main reason we failed to establish ourselves in The Premier League.

Reactions: Dkc
His contract wasn't being renewed but he resigned.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sheff_utd/6659513.stm

Mind you, hi might have told a different story in his book.

I never believed he resigned or that it was mutual, whatever Warnock says. I don't think that Warnock would have chosen to leave then on such a low. He could have lead us back to an immediate promotion. Listen to this interview here, skip to 9 minutes and Warnock used the word sacked not mutual consent or resigned.

I never believed he resigned or that it was mutual, whatever Warnock says. I don't think that Warnock would have chosen to leave then on such a low. He could have lead us back to an immediate promotion. Listen to this interview here, skip to 9 minutes and Warnock used the word sacked not mutual consent or resigned.

Irrelevant really. His contract wasn't being renewed so that was it. He was going at the end of June and that's a fact. In the link I posted, he's quoted as saying he'd resigned. He tends to say whatever suits him at the time.

Back
Top Bottom