I know very little about Jimmy hagan but...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

May I say what is always in my mind when fans eulogise over Currie. He left us to play for Leeds United.

Hagan said "no".

My hero Woodward stayed with us throughout.

These are indisputable facts.

There are various ways of choosing "best ever" players but I would never vote for one who left us for richer pastures. I think that is part of the package and influences my personal judgement.

Of course Currie wasn't a local. That has to make a difference to his loyalties, fair enough.

I believe Hagan came from Washington in Geordieland

Not in the testimonial match, the pre-match entertainment consisted of another match of two veteran teams featuring many legends of the game. Harry Johnston led out a team consisting of: Bert Trautmann; Tim Ward; George Hardwick; Jimmy Hill; Neil Franklin; Don Revie; Stan Mortensen; Nat Lofthouse; Jimmy Hagan; Tom Finney; and Frank Bowyer (reserve). Walley Barnes led out an opposing team consisting of: Jimmy O'Neill; Jimmy Scoular; Danny Blanchflower; Jimmy Dickinson; Hughie Kelly; Bill McGarry; Jackie Mudie; Jackie Milburn; Jock Dodds; Ken Barnes; and Arthur Rowley (reserve)

The below is from the programme of that match, None of them were retired players

35310b.jpg

That little lot would cost a bob or two if in their prime today

Am I correct in thinking Matt Busby made a bid to sign TC in 1973(?) to replace Bobby Charlton and Currie turned down the move?
The Lane board promised TC that they will sign players to build a team round him so TC agreed to sign the new contract and turned down Tommy Docherty's Man U. a year later we sold Geoff Salmons to Stoke city for £180K and that got TC angry

The Lane board promised TC that they will sign players to build a team round him so TC agreed to sign the new contract and turned down Tommy Docherty's Man U. a year later we sold Geoff Salmons to Stoke city for £180K and that got TC angry

Woodward was there then of course as were others.

Look, the modern greed had entered the game by then. In view of all the trends in the game since TC left us, I have no resentment, but I had at the time. Resentment that I have felt so many times as a United fan, towards players but mostly the club.

Hey, TC was never anybody's role model as a bloke you'd want your daughter to marry or even go out with. He was a "Jack the lad". He was a very gifted player but never the all-round team player, the bloke you'd want in the trenches with you. That's why he didn't ever play for one of the really big clubs and that's why lesser players like Brooking and Wilkins got more caps for England.

Last edited:
Woodward was there then of course as were others.

Look, the modern greed had entered the game by then. In view of all the trends in the game since TC left us, I have no resentment, but I had at the time. Resentment that I have felt so many times as a United fan, towards players but mostly the club.

Hey, TC was never anybody's role model as a bloke you'd want your daughter to marry or even go out with. He was a "Jack the lad". He was a very gifted player but never the all-round team player, the bloke you'd want in the trenches with you. That's why he didn't ever play for one of the really big clubs and that's why lesser players like Brooking and Wilkins got more caps for England. He was a genius and a maverick, but a bit more front than trousers in the minds of the world outside Sheffield. More trousers than front in the night clubs in Sheffield though, so I was told.

Please don't allow this thread about the wonderful Jimmy Hagan sink to posts criticising Tony Currie.

Like others on here I never saw Hagan play apart from the Joe Shaw testimonial. My mother as a young girl would go to BDTBL to see Hagan play. The only time I saw her go was for that testimonial match because Hagan was playing. She's now in her late eighties and tunes into Radio Sheffield for the matches.

I wish I'd seen Hagan play in his prime and I've said before I sincerely hope the youngsters of today can find a hero as my parents generation and my generation did.

Please don't allow this thread about the wonderful Jimmy Hagan sink to posts criticising Tony Currie.

Like others on here I never saw Hagan play apart from the Joe Shaw testimonial. My mother as a young girl would go to BDTBL to see Hagan play. The only time I saw her go was for that testimonial match because Hagan was playing. She's now in her late eighties and tunes into Radio Sheffield for the matches.

I wish I'd seen Hagan play in his prime and I've said before I sincerely hope the youngsters of today can find a hero as my parents generation and my generation did.

How much I agree with you and I kept my powder dry for so long but that's how the thread developed and to compare the two is simply not appropriate, a travesty in fact. Some balance has to be given at times and Silent was right, it was crazy comparing the two because so few are still living, or internet users, who watched the great Jimmy Hagan. Why do we have to have a number 1 anyway? Currie would not have been in my personal top 5, but so what? Take a poll on 15 year olds, they are the ones we ought to feel sorry for watching United.

To watch Hagan was bliss. Always remember Honved at the lane, which in reality was the Hungarian national side in the 50s He tore them a new one, Great player.

To watch Hagan was bliss. Always remember Honved at the lane, which in reality was the Hungarian national side in the 50s He tore them a new one, Great player.
We didnt play Honved at the Lane. The four foreign teams that came to the Lane for floodlit matches in the 1950s were Esbjerg (Denmark), SK Sturm Graz (Austria), Radnicki (Yug) and Bela Vista (Brazil). Hagan only played against Radnicki

Watched that on tv, thought it was the year after. Puskas wasnt playing but a few others were Hidigguti spelling uh, was playing. All these years must be wrong lol.

Watched that on tv, thought it was the year after. Puskas wasnt playing but a few others were Hidigguti spelling uh, was playing. All these years must be wrong lol.
Hidegkuti played for MTK Budapest, not for Honved

Kin 'ell Scrap you've been put in yer place today 'owd son. Let's give yer an easy one - who did we play today?

I saw them both.......... but was very young when I saw Jimmy........ I was old enough to enjoy remember TC more and used to have a pint or two with him and most of the other players of the early 70's in the Penny Black .....oh them were the days .........:D

Currie blew better kisses and could out swagger most.
Good as. Currie was as a player and showman he never matched the skills that. Hagan demonstrated. Hagan better by a country mile. I. M. O
My father, who was a good enough inside forward to have played professional football had he chosen to, regarded Hagan as better than Currie. That does seem to be the verdict of all those who saw both.

Just a quick note about a little story about my Grandad. He used to go to United matches, however if he found out Jimmy Hagan wasn't playing, he wouldn't bother going. He said he was the best United player ever by far.

Hope you are well Alpine Blade.

Just a quick note about a little story about my Grandad. He used to go to United matches, however if he found out Jimmy Hagan wasn't playing, he wouldn't bother going. He said he was the best United player ever by far.

Hope you are well Alpine Blade.
Haha brilliant!
I'm going to start doing that when murphy isn't in the starting 11

Back
Top Bottom