How would you set up for the final game?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

GreasyChipBeattie

Reaction score
Here we go again, a final match that will have a major impact on our season, if not future as a club.
Will a point be enough? Will we need a win? Will a loss make no difference in the end?

I think we should set up to go at them because:
  • We've proved we can beat them and have pretty much the same team available as at Craven Cottage except for Sharp and Bogle.
  • After faltering for a few games, the determination Fulham showed to get over the line to be champions will not be the same against us.
  • As good as Fulham are at going forward, going at them them like we did at QPR could reap similar rewards in the 'goals for' column.
  • As a fall back, a high scoring draw would leave Borough needing to win by 3 clear goals, Millwall to win and score at least 6 goals and Luton having to win by 7.
  • As already discussed elsewhere, a cagey draw may not enough, especially if it turns into a one goal defeat.

The question is, do we go all out attack, get the lead and go for more, get the lead and go defensive, or keep it tight and go all out for the last 10 or 15 to either get back on level terms, or go for the win.
I guess a lot depends on what's happening elsewhere.
The question is, would you take a point now if offered it?

Here we go again, a final match that will have a major impact on our season, if not future as a club.
Will a point be enough? Will we need a win? Will a loss make no difference in the end?

• We've proved we can beat them and have pretty much the same team available as at Craven Cottage except for Sharp and Bogle.
  • After faltering for a few games, the determination Fulham showed to get over the line to be champions will not be the same against us.
  • As good as Fulham are at going forward, going at them them like we did at QPR could reap similar rewards in the 'goals for' column.
  • As a fall back, a high scoring draw would leave Borough needing to win by 3 clear goals, Millwall to win and score at least 6 goals and Luton having to win by 7.
  • As already discussed elsewhere, a cagey draw may not enough, especially if it turns into a one goal defeat.

The question is, do we go all out attack, get the lead and go for more, get the lead and go defensive, or keep it tight and go all out for the last 10 or 15 to either get back on level terms, or go for the win.
In your scenario Luton would only need to win.

It would be a reasonable assumption that Middlesborough and Luton will win, so I think we need to go for the win, but not at all costs.
Defend properly and attack positively has to be the mantra.

Early Breakfast and walk the dog…….check forum see who’s lining up the I told you so’s and to see who in line to be called a pig…….off to pub for a cheeky couple…….match…….tears……of joy………straight to pub for what ever shit they want to serve me as it will all taste good 👍🏻 UTB

Maybe should try for an early goal. Fulham MIGHT not have the usual desire to come back and win (in theory).

If we keep it tight and hope to win 1-0, the urge to score a winner/equaliser will be there for Fulham at all times.

Tempted to play Bash RWB.

If we qualify for playoffs after the QPR turnaround and beating the Champions, that'll be a very big boost for the lads.

1. Use the same line up for QPR - never change a winning side if can be avoided

2. Ditch Wilderball - stop passing it around the backline

3. Fire up the midfield - get the runners in and pass through the centre

4. Get up the wings and attack the box - Basham/Osborn/Burke and Stevens/Robinson/Fleck

5. Shithouse Fulham as much as possible - defending isn't just stopping them playing

6. Don't give up. Going one up is not enough. Being one down is not acceptable

7. Remember: Consistency is the hallmark of winners. We won the last game.

8. Fulham can be beaten. So can we. Our aim is to make one a fact for 90 minutes.

pommpey

Agree with everything Pommps
Apart from Burke being in the lineup, he won’t be bringing anything for us that day.
It kind of sounds silly in the context of having some pretty poor performances this year when it matters, but there is something about this current squad amidst all the injury issues that Saturday is really backs to the wall stuff and I think the lads will stand up and be counted
Can’t guarantee the score mind you, but our lads will not be found wanting on Saturday
It’s going to be a classic, potentially of the forest play-off semi-final type atmosphere

In some respects we treat it like a cup game.

We have to go out for the win and in recent months Fulham have lost to a few teams too.

Luton being smashed by them might put them a bit nervy vs. Reading too.
Boro have to beat Preston, but again Preston are that typical mid table outfit. They could beat Boro 3-1 on Saturday or lost 4-1 like they did the other week.

It's gonna be interesting, hopefully not end in us dropping out of the playoffs.
I know some don't want us to go up or go through it but whilst ever there is a chance of going up we should go for it, financially if nothing else it boosts us!

We should be going out to try and win every game we play.
The Formation should stay the same as it has been under Hecky as it has proven that this is the most effective for our squad.
We need to be at them from the off. Pressing them and not allowing them any time to get into a rhythm.
If we start the game like we have quite a few recently then we are inviting trouble. We simply cant wait 45 minutes to get into the game and risk going a goal or 2 down.
The 3 CBs pick themselves for me. As does Wes in Goal.
At wing Back i'd go for Enda at LWB as the attacking pace that Fulham have and RND's love for a rash challenge has disaster written all over it (IMHO).
At RWB I hope that Baldock can get back to fitness as fitting a square peg (Osborn) in there isn't the option despite him not doing too bad when he has played.
Norwood pulls the strings in the Centre of Midfield With Berge at the side of him. Now it really is a toss up for who plays at the other side. Fleck has been very hit and miss and I'm not sure he is fully fit, nor has he been for some time (Again IMHO). He seems to be anonymous for long periods in games this season and looks to be reluctant to drive at teams as in previous seasons. Hopefully he can recapture the form that he is capable of. Hourihane is similar in that he doesn't really influence a game so much and again is not one to drive at teams, often preferring the simple short pass. he does have the advantage in that his set pieces are better that Flecks and the goal will have given him a boost.
MGW is next. He has been less effective over the last half a dozen games but is still a danger and the obvious partner is Ndiaye who will scare their back line if on form.
Fulham are a quality attacking side but can be shaky at the back. There have been a few teams that have scored goals against them (Coventry??) so they can be vulnerable.
I'm looking forward to it! Will be sat in the Back Garden with a beer or 15 watching it on the projector!!
Lets hope we get some good fortune from the footballing gods..........

The available players will determine the approach. Its very tempting to stay with the same side that wone convincingly at QPR but equally they have Mitrovitch who is a brute and the other possibility for us might be Bash at RWB and bring in Uremovich at CB. That gives us more height at the back to counter Mitrovitch and gives us more attacking options at RWB with Bash but then perhaps diminishes that attacking support at CB !
Difficult one !!

1. Use the same line up for QPR - never change a winning side if can be avoided

2. Ditch Wilderball - stop passing it around the backline

3. Fire up the midfield - get the runners in and pass through the centre

4. Get up the wings and attack the box - Basham/Osborn/Burke and Stevens/Robinson/Fleck

5. Shithouse Fulham as much as possible - defending isn't just stopping them playing

6. Don't give up. Going one up is not enough. Being one down is not acceptable

7. Remember: Consistency is the hallmark of winners. We won the last game.

8. Fulham can be beaten. So can we. Our aim is to make one a fact for 90 minutes.

pommpey

Burke.....???

Play as we normally do.

Fulham are already Champions but we have to assume that the best version of Fulham are going to turn up. Assuming they're all going to be pissed would, it goes without saying, be dangerous.

Play as we normally do.

Fulham are already Champions but we have to assume that the best version of Fulham are going to turn up. Assuming they're all going to be pissed would, it goes without saying, be dangerous.

Can't see Silva letting them loose on the Peroni's all week, not his style.

Up until yesterday Fulham's form had been patchy, I would suggest we saw the "real" Luton yesterday rather than anything else.

Nothing to fear Blades, we are very strong at BDTBL and if we go out and play our own game and play it well we will get a result.

Wouldn't mind us playing out another epic 5-4 with us being the victors. Mitro first half hatrick so he gets 46/46 and we're 3-0 down to turn it around to 4-3. An 89th minute equaliser from Antonee Bobbinson to drop us to 7th before substitute Billy Sharp gets on the end of another Berge ball in to make it 5-4 in the 95th minute... :oops:

If we get a point then Millwall can't catch us and Luton would pass us with a 1-0 win. I agree about Middlesbrough though.

Tempted to play Bash RWB.
Thought this myself watching him against QPR. While we have a good record with clean sheets at home, our defending worries me when we try to see a game out. I also cannot see them not scoring, so I think we should put pressure on their defence from the start. I watched a bit of last nights match second half, I’m not sure what Luton were trying to achieve, they invited them on by sitting back even at 2-0 down and if that was trying to be a damage limitation, it didn’t succeed as they were statuesque with Fulham’s strikers movement around them and contributed themselves to that big scoreline. Preston had a heavy defeat against Blackburn even though they created a fair bit in the little of the game that I saw. They are no mugs and won’t want another thumping in front of their own fans, it’s by no means certain that Boro will get the win.

Set up as against QPR and come out as we did in the second half. Hammer them right from the get go, get an early goal and hope they think "ah fuck this we've already got the glory" and don't rest at just 1 goal.

We'll miss Sharp in this one, he's a pro shithouser when he wants to be and he could easily rile a couple or them up. Just need to keep it tight at the back and fuck sake don't do any of those shit back passes we seem quite intent on.

Nothing against Basham, but he's been error prone of late since his return from injury. Let Berge play an advanced position in a free role behind the front two where he can drop back to help Fleck and Norwood when required.

Screenshot_20220503-204023_Chrome.jpg

can't honestly understand the stick UNITED get for not being brilliant every game

especially when you see a much lauded Forest team play absolutely dog shit at bourndmouth tonight
not one shot at goal second half

they were poorer than any of our displays this season

A draw means we will be out of Millwall’s reach and Boro need 3 as long as we score.

We don’t need to win but we need a goal. We set up to win the game and review at 70 minutes, including other scores. React accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom