How much will programmes be next season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Cerberus Blade

Reaction score
I assume, like everything else, they will go up in price, because we're now a Premiership club. But how much will they go up by?

Personally I think they should go up by £1. Because if they put them up 50p for example, it's really going to bollox up the programme seller who has for years gone round shouting, "programmes 3 quid". "Programmes 3 pound 50 pence" doesn't have the same ring to it. But, "Programmes 4 quid" is o.k.

I was only thinking of that bloke the other day and wonder what he does during the close season? Then I just happened to see him on Bramall Lane practising for next season...shouting out, "Maupay - £20 million".

Lovin' it already!

(I never buy programmes anyway. I used to at one time - when it was "Lane Line Up" - but I think modern day match programmes are a right load of titty-wank. Full of adverts and shite like that. Not a patch on the old Lane Line Up imo - with it's black and white "action" photo's topical articles about us, written by us. And there was another reason to buy it as well: Without it you wouldn't know what the football results were elsewhere. Because the programme contained a list of some of the day's top fixtures, lettered from "A" (which was always Wednesday's game) through to ....(can't remember now tbh). And the scoreboard was a series of letters at the Bramall Lane end, beneath which a bloke would walk up and hang two numbered tiles to show the score in each game. You had to look at your programme to see which game was which).

Programmes are great for kids but I dont see why adults still buy them, other than it's something they've always done. Years ago they were great for gleaning relevant information from and decent match pictures but technology now renders them dispensable imo. There's little to nothing in a match day programme that cant be found somewhere on the internet.

Programmes are great for kids but I dont see why adults still buy them, other than it's something they've always done. Years ago they were great for gleaning relevant information from and decent match pictures but technology now renders them dispensable imo. There's little to nothing in a match day programme that cant be found somewhere on the internet.
Obviously you haven’t bought or read one in years. If it’s not your thing then fine. I’d agree that programmes aren’t what they used to be and have far too many adverts but they do still have some very interesting regular articles, the best being John Garretts “Folklore and Fables”.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see them at £3.50 next season. Villa and WBA charged that amount last year in the championship

Obviously you haven’t bought or read one in years. If it’s not your thing then fine. I’d agree that programmes aren’t what they used to be and have far too many adverts but they do still have some very interesting regular articles, the best being John Garretts “Folklore and Fables”.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see them at £3.50 next season. Villa and WBA charged that amount last year in the championship
John Garrett's excellent articles are available in various places other than match day programmes. You could buy his books rather than pay 3 quid 23 times a year for the same privilege. Just sayin like.

The programmes have been £3 for about 15 years haven't they?

I doubt they will go up, they're going to be the same as ever. Unless you have to buy rights to show photos of players from the top 6 these days, wouldn't surprise me.

They're going up, they were advertising for editors and content creators for them and mentioned increased pagination, so that would indicate increased price too.

They're already quite pricey so £3.50 isn't going to make too much difference.

I like the programmes though, they're good little reads nowadays, I mainly buy them for future me, when my memory is shot and I can sit down and reminisce.

Don’t see why they’d go up to be fair. It’s paper and ink, doesn’t cost the club any more to make them. With the extra influx of cash if anything they should go down!
More paper means more ink which means more cost :)

I assume, like everything else, they will go up in price, because we're now a Premiership club. But how much will they go up by?

Personally I think they should go up by £1. Because if they put them up 50p for example, it's really going to bollox up the programme seller who has for years gone round shouting, "programmes 3 quid". "Programmes 3 pound 50 pence" doesn't have the same ring to it. But, "Programmes 4 quid" is o.k.

I was only thinking of that bloke the other day and wonder what he does during the close season? Then I just happened to see him on Bramall Lane practising for next season...shouting out, "Maupay - £20 million".

"Programmes three fifty" should cover it.

Programmes are great for kids but I dont see why adults still buy them, other than it's something they've always done.
I mainly buy them for future me, when my memory is shot and I can sit down and reminisce.

I’m with bromtom on this. I often wince at shelling out the 3 quid, as I barely read them anymore—other than referring to the oppo squad list during the game, so I know who’s who.

Only real reason I keep buying them is because they’re mementos of things I’ve done with my kids. They grow up, you lose a lot of what you once had with them. 3 quid my match programme is one way of stemming that loss. Reminding myself of that usually stops me wincing.

Well outside of the box but probably pay someone to check it over before it’s printed as well.....
Good point mate, he’s not cheap either. All the more reason for the price to go up, if indeed it does

I might buy one if there were more interesting articles in them about our club.

Like, “How to make a pukka pie out of an old bicycle inner tube and a piece of wet cardboard” or maybe a “Players wives and girlfriends” feature.

United enjoyed a significant increase in sales in 2018. Hopefully the trend has continued: https://www.sufc.co.uk/news/2018/june/agm-round-up/

A number of Clubs had previously asked the EFL if the mandatory publication of a match programme could be addressed as a result of an overall decline in sales and the proliferation of digital and social media, which has the ability to deliver the same content in a more cost effective manner. Mandatory publication of a programme was required due to a number of the EFL's partnership, sponsorship and opt in agreements.

EFL Clubs approved an amendment which allows Clubs to opt out of providing advertising in match programmes on the basis it is replaced with other inventory. This amendment will mean that the requirement to deliver programme advertising in the EFL Regulations will only apply if a match programme is produced. The amended regulation provides each Club with the option to determine whether or not they publish a match programme.

United's programme editor, Kevin Cookson, commented: "Irrespective of the EFL vote, our plan for the foreseeable future is to continue to print programmes for Sheffield United fans and visiting supporters.

"Despite the changing landscape with regards to instant news and social media, our official matchday programme, UTB, continues to be popular amongst Blades fans and last year we saw a 14.5 per cent growth in sales."

I might buy one if there were more interesting articles in them about our club.

Like, “How to make a pukka pie out of an old bicycle inner tube and a piece of wet cardboard” or maybe a “Players wives and girlfriends” feature.

Haha “Miss Sheffield United” used to be good in the “Blades News” newspaper. Showing my age now.

Back
Top Bottom