How long do we let Weir carry on?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That's got to be one of the most stupid observations about a manager I've ever heard. Lets sack him now, running his hands through his hair he obviously hasn't got a clue.

It wasn't just that that was said though. I could only remember word for word the bit that I quoted

It wasn't just that that was said though. I could only remember word for word the bit that I quoted
Fair enough but I'm not sure what some people want him to do, he could have gone mental at the players/officials or he could just take it all in and give them all a round of fucks in the dressing room. The game would have finished 3-1 no matter how he behaved

Last time I saw united was the first game of the season on Sky Sports. United completely outplayed Notts county. We played crisp passing yet effective football just like the best of the Wilson era. Yet today we lose 3-1 to Rotherham. What has happend?!. Never rated Weir. When he was appointed I knew it would end in disaster. Get Danny Wilson back that's what I say.
Totally agree at least with Danny Wilson we were at the right end of the table !!!! Weir is out of his depth

Patience required we are in transition, sometimes you have to take two steps backwards to go three forward.

I agree in principle but I think there are a couple of areas that need addressing as a matter of urgency i.e. this month, because the longer this goes on the more it will erode the confidence of all concerned and make any recovery more difficult. It's not all doom and gloom, the first half performance at Rotherham was encouraging in my view.

First of all, not only is David Weir inexperienced but so are his entire first team coaching staff. I believe that he will turn out to be a very good manager but, in my opinion, he is in desperate need of the support of an experienced former football manager / coach to support him in the early stages of his career - Director of Football or whatever you want to call him, maybe for this season and next. I can't think of anyone at the moment in this country but the net could be spread widely; Germany perhaps?

Secondly, and again in my view, bringing young players through successfully requires the team to have a framework of older, more experienced players who have played at the highest level, know the system and can support player development out on the pitch. I'm thinking of people in the mould of McCall, Speed, McGrath etc. As an example Stephen Quinn came on leaps and bounds playing alongside Gary Speed but when he got injured Quinn's progress slowed. I think Harry Maguire is suffering from this now and the defence is the first thing I would tackle. Who have United's youngsters got alongside them who they can emulate - McMahon, Collins, Porter, Hill, Doyle etc? I think this could and should be addressed in the next fortnight if possible.

What role does Morgs play now (or have I missed something and he has gone)?

No, astonishingly he took his seat at the back of the director's box for last weeks MKD game (the same seat that used to be occupied by those other time-servers Sam Ellis and Brian Kidd.)

So, how long can we carry on like this? I was amazed when I heard that Claude Davis was still playing football (surely, along with NotWorthy, the worst player ever seen in a Blades shirt.)

When I watch Final Score, goals are flying in for every team in the last few minutes. How many years since United got a last-gasp game changer?

I'm afraid I agree with the Martin Peters analogy re. DW. Decent-ish player, probably a good bloke but completely out of his depth in his first managerial role. And his record is probably worse than we think. We beat 10-man Notts County (now having an even poorer record that us - one point from 5 games). A fluke equaliser against the mighty Colchester and beating Scunthorpe on penalties.

I'm afraid we'll look back on DW as fondly as Micky Adams. Did someone mention Gus Poyet?

Minimum of 7 points from the next 4 games or he's got to go. The system isn't working and DW either doesn't know how to or is too bloody minded ti change it.

It's ok, we're saved!

Sven's on his way if you believe this mornings rag!!! :eek:

If there's one thing certain in life it's that Bryan Robson mk2 will p1ss any funds HRH may have well and truly against the wall quicker than HRH can give it to him

Papertalk bollox one hopes

As grafikhaus says for me. I believe Gus would do ok, if Mr Weir can't turn it around

It's ok, we're saved!

If there's one thing certain in life it's that Bryan Robson mk2 will p1ss any funds HRH may have well and truly against the wall quicker than HRH can give it to him

As grafikhaus says for me. I believe Gus would do ok, if Mr Weir can't turn it around

As the score filtered through from Toy town yesterday the name that kept popping into my head was Sven Goran, McCabe would literally cream his pants to get him in....gawd help us if it happens....

If we are to replace dw then Poyet would be my choice if he would come. As I don't go away and don't see all the games what's Foxy think we should do. Or others that go home and away

DW needs to get a bit of experience in. We need legs in the middle of the park and Kenny Miller upfront on loan when the MLS season finishes. These 2 players are vital to turning it around

I agree in principle but I think there are a couple of areas that need addressing as a matter of urgency i.e. this month, because the longer this goes on the more it will erode the confidence of all concerned and make any recovery more difficult. It's not all doom and gloom, the first half performance at Rotherham was encouraging in my view.

First of all, not only is David Weir inexperienced but so are his entire first team coaching staff. I believe that he will turn out to be a very good manager but, in my opinion, he is in desperate need of the support of an experienced former football manager / coach to support him in the early stages of his career - Director of Football or whatever you want to call him, maybe for this season and next. I can't think of anyone at the moment in this country but the net could be spread widely; Germany perhaps?

Secondly, and again in my view, bringing young players through successfully requires the team to have a framework of older, more experienced players who have played at the highest level, know the system and can support player development out on the pitch. I'm thinking of people in the mould of McCall, Speed, McGrath etc. As an example Stephen Quinn came on leaps and bounds playing alongside Gary Speed but when he got injured Quinn's progress slowed. I think Harry Maguire is suffering from this now and the defence is the first thing I would tackle. Who have United's youngsters got alongside them who they can emulate - McMahon, Collins, Porter, Hill, Doyle etc? I think this could and should be addressed in the next fortnight if possible.

Well the obvious choice for DoF for Weir (if you trust him that he could pull through) is Walter Smith.

Smith's achievements away from Rangers though aren't great imo and it could be argued that with a successful team and a cosy 'caretel' with Celtic might have made that easier once in the groove. So there is a risk but I am sure Weir would approve.

It's ok, we're saved!

Erisson - His club record makes him look like a serial shagger, stays a short while then moves on to the next floozy. Since his England tenure it is.

2001-2006 England
2007- 2008 Man City
2008-2009 Mexico
2009- 2010 Notts County
2010- 2010 Ivory Coast
2010- 2011 Leicester City
2012- 2012 Tero Sasana
2013- 2013 Al Nasr
2013- 2013 Guangzhou R&F

Question at interview, Mr Eriksson your footballing managerial career shows you to be well travelled but do you actually have time to check that your last month's salary has been paid in before moving on to a new club?

Mid October. The Port Vale match. He'll have had 12 matches + Pre-season and if we don't see an improvement in results and entertainment by then, his position should be reviewed.

As I don't go away and don't see all the games what's Foxy think we should do. Or others that go home and away

I think sacking yet another manager at this stage would be ludicrous.

Something needs to change quickly and at stages we have seen positive signs, but I can't see what we'd achieve by getting rid of a man with a blueprint that was bought into a few weeks ago, until it didn't hit the ground running.

A bit of confidence and a little run could make all the difference, but how we're going to get those is the difficult thing to see at the moment.

We can change little in terms of playing staff at the moment, so a couple of good quality loanees and adapting the way we play slightly would be the sensible option for me. Rather than paying off another backroom team and switching management styles again - with very little flexibility in changing the part that matters.

Only two loanees? Even if we get a decent striker and a midfielder in, we still need more options and cover

A young Brian Clough would turn this club around. Marty McFly as director of football. Doc Brown as Kit Man. Big sponsorship deal with DeLorean. Sorted.

While I agree that it would be ludicrous to sack another manager so soon at some point someone will have to make a big decision, the question is, when?

I have just started reading the latest Sheffield United A Complete Record and have just read the section on Robson's tenure and find it quite similar to where we are now. Forgive me for paraphrasing but it says this

"Robsons aim was to build a team that would play attractive football with the accent on passing and possession"

"expectations were soon dimmed with just two victories in the first 11 fixtures"

"United were failing to succeed against determined, close marking opponents and lacked midfield control and vision"

"but several lifeless performances including the derby at Hillsborough were reflected in the managers dispirited touchline attitude, down beat use of the media and failure to lift the spirits of both players and supporters"

"There was little passion in United's displays and no visible signs of enthusiasm from the manager"

I don't believe we are a million miles from Robson's era and with new owners I don't think Weir will be in charge at Christmas if things don't improve

The thing is, how often does a manager get more time then actually turn it round? I'm guessing not many. I can't think of many. Fergie at Man U is the obvious one, but the majority of the time it just goes from bad to worse. I know it seems stupid sacking a manager after a few games, but it does seem fairly inevitable it will happen eventually anyway. So what's the difference? It's not like the guy has a proven track record, we took a gamble cos no other bugger wanted the job.

We need changes in several areas to make this system work. The only full back suited to this style of play is Westlake but is a bit of a liability defensively. The centre backs are both slow and don't move the ball quick enough when playing out from defence. Our best option for the lone striker role is Porter but rarely looks a goal threat and again is a bit slow and cumbersome. The biggest problem though is a lack of confidence and self belief throughout the team possibly because they are uncomfortable with the way they are been asked to play.

I just don't think the system that Weir favours is suitable for League 1. He has played and been involved throughout his career at a high level of Football, where people are given the time and space to knock it about, at least until the oppositions final third. Furthermore the standard and experience of the players playing that system, would be generally higher than that currently on show at Bramall Lane.

I thought that Weir was a fantastic appointment and am still largely optimistic, but I've got to concede that I would expect him to change things around when his tactics and formation are quite clearly ineffective. It is obvious that we cannot have just one style of play, we must be able to adapt our style to exploit the oppositions weaknesses and counteract their strengths. By Division 1 standards Utd are regarded as a big fish, consequently teams raise their game against us, even more so following the investment.

So Weir has his work cut out but he needs to clear out the deadwood and recruit an experienced proven goalscorer as soon as the loan window opens. The fact that Porter is still getting a game shows how desperately short of talent we are in arguably the most crucial of positions in Weirs chosen formation. If this doesn't happen I may begin to wonder if my faith in Weirs ability has been hopelessly misplaced. I do hope not!

I could be wrong but I just don't see HRH as the kind of man who will allow things to go to far, but time will tell.

David Weir could well be the man, and maybe we're all doing him a disservice by doubting him.
A couple of wins and we'll all be singing his praisers again, but in the mean time, while the team is in this position in the table, I think we have every right to start getting a little nervous ..

My main concern is that there is little sign of us getting better. What was interesting was the Rotherham manager saying he got it wrong in first half and changed things around for the second. Meanwhile we seem to be fixed into this slow predictable sideways passing game with a manager who won't or can't mix things up. Unfortunately the passing game we have isn't that accurate or incisive. The defence also seems consistent in making at least one costly slip every game.
I was hopeful that with his apparently top grade tactical credentials that we were told about on his appointment that Weir would be able to utilise the players he has to greater effect. This doesn't at the moment seem to be the case.
We're now getting to a situation were a percentage of the fan base are getting somewhat disappointed with events on the field. All the talk of having patience isn't helping - since 2007 and the loss against Wigan we have had season after season of disappointment - poor half season under robson, loss to burnley, relegation, loss to hudderfield, pigs pinching second when evans went down. Loss to Yeovil, - patience isn't big in many supporters hearts - we need something to lift our spirits, and it's not happening at present.
Weir has brought in a number of his own signings - unfortunately none of them has shown any spark that we have hoped for. I'm still hopeful for better things to come - but my patience is running thin.

I'm not sure when my patience runs out. Weir has brought in several players and had 8 competitive games and 1 win. Surely management is about getting the most out of your available staff. Any fool can see that our staff aren't capable of playing the type of football Weir wants to play and there's no point pretending otherwise! How many more defeats before even the most patient of us has to admit that Weir has failed?

If I were a new owner with some money to invest I'd rather put my faith in a manager with a proven track record - sack Weir, bring in Poyet and make a clear statement to staff and fans about my intentions!!

Dont worry.
Sven will turn it round.
At least weve got an excuse of losing when ballons are on the pitch.

I am backtracking now and I think we can last a bit longer with Weir in charge as long as we don't get Sven in. :)

Well this should make people's minds up:

Weir says no to Saudi gold, but is risking his job at Sheffield United

David Weir has taken a gamble over his Sheffield United future by telling new benefactor Prince Abdullah that he is not interested in trying to spend his way out of trouble.
Even before taking his seat for United’s fourth defeat in six games, at Rotherham’s New York Stadium on Saturday, the Saudi billionaire offered manager Weir access to his fortune and even told him to start by signing a striker.
Weir, however, insisted he had no intention of taking up the offer when the emergency loan window opens on Monday.

He also conceded it could cost him his job, if his approach does not work. ‘Transfers are not the answer,’ he said, after three second-half goals gave Rotherham a 3-1 win. ‘We have got to address what we are doing wrong and how we put it right. It’s not a case of bringing new players in. There is no quick fix, no guarantee that would work.
‘It doesn’t interest me that there is money to spend. I am more concerned with the level of the players who are here now. You don’t tend to get a long time in football. You can try and plan for the long term, but it is a short-term business in many ways.’
As if to emphasise Weir’s point, the Prince, whose family are worth £12billion, admitted he was impatient for success and expected the League One strugglers to be back in the top flight within five years.
The Riyadh-based 47-year-old paid just £1 for a 50 per cent stake, but wiped out United’s £20million debt in the process. He has evidently set up an initial transfer kitty of £20m, with more to follow, if it helps reverse years of decline.
While Weir might not welcome being told where his side are found wanting, the Prince seems determined to spend.

'We have had a horrible start,’ he said. ‘We need to improve quickly. Whatever David needs, we have to do. We need to start winning.
‘I like and trust David, but we have to give him the tools. Yes, we will be active in this loan window. The team is missing a striker, so we have to bring one in.
‘This club should be in the top 10 in the Premier League. That is not a crazy goal, and we are going to spend money to get there.’

Back
Top Bottom