How do you prefer our club is run?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Financially stable and well run, or money pit to high heavens with a looming points deduction?

• Total voters

ThatJa

Bigger Blade than United's Arab Emirate
Reaction score
Lots of outcry about us not giving it ago, don't spend owt got no money whatever the reason....

Let's flip reality. Let's say we did spend, we did buy players, it's gonna take a hell of a lot of money and probably high turnover in players to compete... so what would you prefer?

Genuinely interested to see this debate play out.

Think the forest comparison is a bit silly, how many teams have been done for FFP in their first season?
Can’t we have it just a bit in the middle like the majority of the teams who’ve ever come up?

We spent a decent amount in 2019, with quite a decent chunk of it wasted on shite but got bailed out due to our key players being of a great age, little injury concerns and a style of play that took the league by surprise. By no means was that look, we were very well drilled and knew what we were doing.

We gave ourselves absolutely no chance this summer with the signings, the minimal funds we had in the summer were spunked up the wall on Traore & Slimane who have been a disaster (7m out of a rumoured 20m budget) prior to the sales of Iliman & Sander and panic bought some other dross.

All I ask for as a blade is the players showing effort and competing in games. We are not even doing that. We’re stinking out the league (again) due to the owner not taking the whole thing seriously and us fans are made to look humiliated all over again.

Some medium ground is what was needed, let's say 40% of what Forest spent.

Offer Premier league wages to illiman and Berge earlier so they don't enter the last year of thier contracts..they were going to be free agents, this had to be factored in and instead we went tightwad on those 2 then then backed ourselves onto a corner.

Sign Doyle with some of that 40% money early in the window before City and wolves got that deal in place, 10m would have been enough...

Obviously I'd retain Mcatee and still sign Hamer, then Fleck and Osborn could have gone..

BBD would likely be open to a transfer rather than a loan as we'd probably not be rock bottom having made those obvious moves...

The bad part of it is that the management can't see it but these are not completely my words.. this is what posters have been posting about moves we should have made..

Some more of the 40% on a JOC replacement which is now 3+ years overdue..

And then we'd have had a chance of staying up..

I suspect its the lack of willingness to pay PL wages, rather than transfer budget that cost us. There have been plenty of experienced players moving for relatively low fees but, no doubt, they are on £100k plus wages - e.g. Danny Ings. Therefore, we are stuck with youngsters showing potential, championship wannabes or old crocks on the slide. With one or two exceptions, you could pretty well map our squad against those 3 criteria.
I just hope we have a proper clear out this summer. If it takes a couple of seasons to settle a new squad so be it.

I pressed wrong one. Would have liked more options though.

Never sign a player for a fee again
Spend big on a scouting network that is beyond world class based on never paying a fee ever again.
Pay better wages based on never paying a fee ever again.
Sign out of contract players who are excellent from the two top leagues in a number of countries and pay them properly based on never having to pay a fee ever again.

And just in case you missed it Wilder, Prince and the rest of you dozy twats, Never sign a player for a fee ever again

We shop at Aldi, whilst the other clubs look on at us from Waitrose car park, sniggering.
And we can't even afford the free parking at aldi so have to get a bus each layed on and it's i want, never help bare things but yeah i've something planned
and putting it clean i cant work it out for love nor money. :/

Literally had an embargo last season despite spending next to nothing in 21/22

Luton style. Based on sensible recruitment, a well run scouting network and a proper analytics team. Spending within one’s means with a long term plan.

Luton style is being the lowest spenders and lowest budget in the league. History shows that plan rarely ever works. Think part of their success is down to several things, unlike us they have zero expectation and no pressure, their players are grounded, low paid with athletic ability working as a team, they’ve brought in top quality with free transfers, these are often big risks but it’s worked brilliantly with Barkley and Townsend hungry to prove doubters wrong.

Sensible recruitment is not getting caught up in auctions and paying only what a player is worth. When we tried to do this with Brewster or most targets, our fans complain we lack ambition and need to pay whatever seeking clubs ask.

We have generally spent without our means with a long term plan.

The plan was to buy the best performing players out of the Championship who were young so could be classed as investments.

The logic was if we were to be relegated then we know some of the signings have been top performers in the Championship.

This year we changed our plan slightly be going in to the foreign market, this is always a massive risk but to the fair most of our fans were demanding it.

What makes me laugh is that you could have the best run club in the league but if that club doesn’t have results then our fans conclude it must be the worse run club.

Then if the worse run club gain promotion then they must be the best run club.

It wasn’t that long ago that we were the best run club in England under the Prince. I’ll never slag off any owner for showing some ambition and giving it a try.

At the time over 90% of our fans are happy with manager changes and transfers brought in. None of us have hindsight regards how they gel as a team.

I saw a comment recently that the club lacks leaders but in the Summer everyone was saying we’re packing our squad with leaders and future captains, remember the Slimane half time pep talk video at his former club and the positive attitude of our new signings. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Last edited:
Luton style. Based on sensible recruitment, a well run scouting network and a proper analytics team. Spending within one’s means with a long term plan.
That's to sensible for us mate, and don't forget we also like to sign a crock or 2 ( Tom Davies) and waste even more money. And then complain were skint!!

I voted for the second option but I don't think our future is secure.

Literally had an embargo last season despite spending next to nothing in 21/22

The embargo had no real effect because we already had probably (along with Burnley) the strongest squad, so it didn’t damage our promotion chances.

The only effect is we lost Khadra and would have normally have replaced him with another similar standard loan signing.

The real issue which never gets mentions is if our finances were heading for the rocks, then would people agree we should have saved the club and sold Berge and N’Diaye for 10 million each?

That’s what previous owners would have done in the past? Our fans complain about selling off the Crown Jewels when we’re threatening success but the owners argue financial stability is more important.

Our owner last season took a massive risk but it paid off. In retrospect our fans would say that was a great gamble and they’d have done the same

But imagine if Boro had pipped us to 2nd and we lost in the play-offs our fans would be accusing the owner of being the worse ever with loads demanding why we never sold Berge and N”Diaye when we could.

If we’d have kept those 2 players this season the bulk of our fan base would be critising the owner allowing our best players to leave on a free. They’ve be saying it was so obvious that Berge and N”Diaye would struggle in the top flight.

As I’ve mentioned hindsight is a wonderful thing. At the time most of our fans seem very happy with signings, then the same fans complain afterwards about the signings being poor.

An example. 99% of our fans currently say Brewster is poor, get rid. You can bet if he goes to another Chanpionship club and becomes a top player then many of our fans will then be saying ‘it was so obvious Brewster was a top player who just needed more time after his injury, sack the board”.

Last edited:
The embargo had no real effect because we already had probably (along with Burnley) the strongest squad, so it didn’t damage our promotion chances.

The only effect is we lost Khadra and would have normally have replaced him with another similar standard loan signing.

The real issue which never gets mentions is if our finances were heading for the rocks, then would people agree we should have saved the club and sold Berge and N’Diaye for 10 million each?

That’s what previous owners would have done in the past? Our fans complain about selling off the Crown Jewels when we’re threatening success but the owners argue financial stability is more important.

Our owner last season took a massive risk but it paid off. In retrospect our fans would say that was a great gamble and they’d have done the same

But imagine if Boro had pipped us to 2nd and we lost in the play-offs our fans would be accusing the owner of being the worse ever with loads demanding why we never sold Berge and N”Diaye when we could.

If we’d have kept those 2 players this season the bulk of our fan base would be critising the owner allowing our best players to leave on a free. They’ve be saying it was so obvious that Berge and N”Diaye would struggle in the top flight.
Dodgy Dozy's money kept them not the Prince. That's how bad things are/were

We shop at Aldi, whilst the other clubs look on at us from Waitrose car park, sniggering.
And we can't even afford the free parking at aldi so have to get a bus each layed on and it's i want, never help bare things but yeah i've something planned
and putting it clean i cant work it out for love nor money. :/
We even end up with the trolley with the wobbly wheel....😥

Neither option is available to us. The owner doesn’t have enough wealth to run a top end English football club never mind a £100 million + revamp of the squad on premier league wages.

We don’t live within our means (who in football does?) and we’re still in financial shit. Last January we were under an embargo and we ‘publicly’ hawking Berge! Dozy’s £10 million (wherever it came from) worked wonders.

I like PA but he needs to give his head wobble and take a hit. If it’s true he’s wanting £150 million for us that’s madness that’ half what the Saudis paid for Newcastle United!

Luton style is being the lowest spenders and lowest budget in the league. History shows that plan rarely ever works. Think part of their success is down to several things, unlike us they have zero expectation and no pressure, their players are grounded, low paid with athletic ability working as a team, they’ve brought in top quality with free transfers, these are often big risks but it’s worked brilliantly with Barkley and Townsend hungry to prove doubters wrong.

Sensible recruitment is not getting caught up in auctions and paying only what a player is worth. When we tried to do this with Brewster or most targets, our fans complain we lack ambition and need to pay whatever seeking clubs ask.

The plan was to buy the best performing players out of the Championship who were young so could be classed as investments.

The logic was if we were to be relegated then we know some of the signings have been top performers in the Championship.

This year we changed our plan slightly be going in to the foreign market, this is always a massive risk but to the fair most of our fans were demanding it.

What makes me laugh is that you could have the best run club in the league but if that club doesn’t have results then our fans conclude it must be the worse run club.

Then if the worse run club gain promotion then they must be the best run club.

It wasn’t that long ago that we were the best run club in England under the Prince. I’ll never slag off any owner for showing some ambition and giving it a try.

At the time over 90% of our fans are happy with manager changes and transfers brought in. None of us have hindsight regards how they gel as a team.

I saw a comment recently that the club lacks leaders but in the Summer everyone was saying we’re packing our squad with leaders and future captains, remember the Slimane half time pep talk video at his former club and the positive attitude of our new signings. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

As I’ve mentioned hindsight is a wonderful thing. At the time most of our fans seem very happy with signings, then the same fans complain afterwards about the signings being poor.

An example. 99% of our fans currently say Brewster is poor, get rid. You can bet if he goes to another Chanpionship club and becomes a top player then many of our fans will then be saying ‘it was so obvious Brewster was a top player who just needed more time after his injury, sack the board”.
Very true

What long term plan? Are we still following this plan now?

But we've done this half-arsed and only because it's cheaper. We haven't got the scouting network in place to utilise this market effectively, as shown by the dross we've bought from overseas.

It wasn’t that long ago that we were the best run club in England under the Prince.
Really? When was this?

Where have I ever said I expect us to be emulating Forest?? As per my reply above, the options on offer are both extremes and I back neither.
You are being extreme in trying to organise a protest before a match we are trying to win rather than after the match

Back
Top Bottom