Hecky presser today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Berge wanted to stay and explore his options, fair enough but in doing so he expected the club to write off £15m.
Hecky is disappointed as he wanted his strongest team but we could not afford to write off £15m so the offer was accepted
Exactly. If Burnley was the only offer and it was, say £5m, then we'd probably have kept him and let him walk. We probably told Burnley this - 'make it worth our while' - however, 15m is a lot of money to just throw away.

Berge wanted to stay and explore his options, fair enough but in doing so he expected the club to write off £15m.
Hecky is disappointed as he wanted his strongest team but we could not afford to write off £15m so the offer was accepted

That's how it reads to me as well. Explore his options still means "Yeah I will play this season but I won't be here next season. Ignore the fact I am the highest paid player at the club already and you've stuck with me through serious injury. You don't mind losing £15million because I am a nice guy right?"

In his interview on The Sheffield United Way, the Prince did say that we would not allow key players to leave on a free at the end of the season and that we would sell to ensure that the club got something from them leaving. It was obvious at that moment that Berge would be next and gone before the window closed.

As much as this is annoying I get the club's actions IF he was 100% unwilling to sign a new contract regardless. Getting £12-15m now is important to a club that's financially f*cked.

If there was a slight chance he would re-sign then we should have stuck with him. I presume Sander was reluctant to commit until he saw how we started the season and the players we signed.

Berge would have signed for us if we stayed up. So yeah better to sell him now and get some money

Comment like a lot of the players looking like rabbits in the headlights etc doesn’t fill me with optimism.

But Look at it this way for the young lads - you’re never ever going to get a better opportunity to live our your dream. Couple of good performances and the shirts yours and you’re set for life.

Go out and play no one is going to blame you if we get battered.

Following that when asked about players coming in he said we need players with more experience to help the younger lads along. That might point us in the direction of some reported targets more than others perhaps ?

Back
Top Bottom