Hecky presser today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

In his interview on The Sheffield United Way, the Prince did say that we would not allow key players to leave on a free at the end of the season and that we would sell to ensure that the club got something from them leaving. It was obvious at that moment that Berge would be next and gone before the window closed.
Same for Jebbo then?

Another good presser from Hecky
So pleased we have this man as our manager - he holds us together. Clearly puts in a massive personal effort to move us forward despite the circumstances. We wouldn’t be in with a sniff for any of the City lads on loan if it wasn’t for his influence and reputation. Frustratingly cagey in pressers when asked about team selection related topics - who can blame him - but quickly squashes stupid distractions such as the daft rumours about Sander, and makes it immediately clear that he wouldn’t let that sort of thing happen on our watch - he’s nobody’s puppet. Lives in the real world, acknowledges that shit happens, but no interest in political games , looks forward not back, and seems to have a fantastic bond with the players. Long may he continue to lead us. A properly solid football character and leader.

That's how it reads to me as well. Explore his options still means "Yeah I will play this season but I won't be here next season. Ignore the fact I am the highest paid player at the club already and you've stuck with me through serious injury. You don't mind losing £15million because I am a nice guy right?"
Maybe we should have binned off JOC then as he had an even worse injury. You do realise that the serious injury was caused by playing for Sheffield United don't you?

As much as this is annoying I get the club's actions IF he was 100% unwilling to sign a new contract regardless. Getting £12-15m now is important to a club that's financially f*cked.

This time last summer he was linked with Club Brugge.
SUFC came out and said Berge has said he wants to run his contract down. Nothing has changed from Sander's point of view. Nor Heckys.

Clearly the board have looked at it purely from a business point of view, which I get. Cash in on £12m now, or lose him for nothing in 9 months, when we may be relegated anyway.

We now have the chance to reinvest that £12m on players with 4 year contracts... protecting the club

SUFC came out and said Berge has said he wants to run his contract down. Nothing has changed from Sander's point of view. Nor Heckys.

Clearly the board have looked at it purely from a business point of view, which I get. Cash in on £12m now, or lose him for nothing in 9 months, when we may be relegated anyway.

We now have the chance to reinvest that £12m on players with 4 year contracts... protecting the club
Finally people start to get it

Finally people start to get it

If it’s 15 as well! the unfortunate thing is that we didn’t sell him for more, hindsight is great, but face facts we got relegated, we had to cut cloth and didn’t. Stupidity.

So pleased we have this man as our manager - he holds us together. Clearly puts in a massive personal effort to move us forward despite the circumstances. We wouldn’t be in with a sniff for any of the City lads on loan if it wasn’t for his influence and reputation. Frustratingly cagey in pressers when asked about team selection related topics - who can blame him - but quickly squashes stupid distractions such as the daft rumours about Sander, and makes it immediately clear that he wouldn’t let that sort of thing happen on our watch - he’s nobody’s puppet. Lives in the real world, acknowledges that shit happens, but no interest in political games , looks forward not back, and seems to have a fantastic bond with the players. Long may he continue to lead us. A properly solid football character and leader.
If only we could find reporters that left their negative questions elsewhere. Hecky is such a positive guy no wonder he looks bewildered at times.
Some of the questions are beyond inane🙄.

Maybe we should have binned off JOC then as he had an even worse injury. You do realise that the serious injury was caused by playing for Sheffield United don't you?

Maybe we could have? A bit different with JOC though as it was clear after a while his whole footballing career was in doubt rather than a usual long term injury.

We have wanted to speak to Berge about a new deal for ages and its clear that even with promotion back to the PL he wasn't going to entertain a new contract. He is probably a nice lad but much like Ndiaye he has an agent that only sees this club as a stepping stone. So it was sign for us in the Premier League last time for some exposure to get a hopefully get bigger move but probably never sign a new contract. We got relegated and then it meant he most certainly was never signing a new contract.

Been thinking about it, and Hecky says he's hopeful of a player coming in before Palace. Don't the medicals take two days now?

That would mean a player has been having a medical today, no?

Which is fine, but that’s not the line that came out of the club yesterday.

I think the key word in what hecky said was the word AFTER. Very cute

No mention of Brewster being set back when asked about injuries so probably not injured again (all progressing as planned he said I believe).

Berge wanted to stay and explore his options, fair enough but in doing so he expected the club to write off £15m.
Hecky is disappointed as he wanted his strongest team but we could not afford to write off £15m so the offer was accepted
We couldn't afford to write off £15m?

Promoted clubs get a minimum of £100m for going up, plus £75m of parachute payments.

That's on top of 2 previous years of PL money (19/20 and 20/21) and 2 years of parachute payments (21/22) and 22/23).

Getting promoted again should have AT THE VERY LEAST allowed us to keep hold of our assets. But we couldn't afford to write off £15m?

As ever with the Best Owner Ever, it just doesn't add up.

If it’s 15 as well! the unfortunate thing is that we didn’t sell him for more, hindsight is great, but face facts we got relegated, we had to cut cloth and didn’t. Stupidity.
I haven't even looked at the value / price tag, because it's a nominal figure and almost irrelevant to us as fans.

But i agree. When relegated you have to cut your cloth to protect the club

However, i think Berge is not a straight forward one.
  • We paid a figure for him to sign for us in the Premier League.
  • He didn't perform in the Premier League for us to increase that value
  • We got relegated.
  • Berge had injuries and lets say inconsistent form for the first season, his value was still low
  • He got fit, his form improved in the second season and at the same time his contract was running down and he didn't want to sign the improved offers given to him.
  • We got promoted. His valued increased, perhaps to his original value.
  • His contract duration was still running down, reducing that value
  • We then had to recover an amount which the club set itself and sell him.

Selling a quality player is never easy, but if it allows the club to bring in a number of additional players to improve the squad overall then it think it becomes a sensible thing to do at that time.

Promoted clubs get a minimum of £100m for going up, plus £75m of parachute payments.

That's on top of 2 previous years of PL money (19/20 and 20/21) and 2 years of parachute payments (21/22) and 22/23).

Getting promoted again should have AT THE VERY LEAST allowed us to keep hold of our assets. But we couldn't afford to write off £15m?

It very much adds up. Sorry but as a club we should always avoid players walking away for nothing where possible.

You looked at how daft transfer fees and wages are these days in football?

The experts on here show how easily you can write off £15m of somebody else's money.

If that's not enough, we could always go and stand under the money tree.

Swiss, I would have kept him for the same reason Hecky wanted to on the grounds of it would give us more of a chance of staying up and you wouldnt get the equivalent player for the same price. Having said that, what you have laid out there makes total sense and I can see that logic.

What business can write off that kind of money. We had cah flow problems in January
We all know PA hasnt enough cash to finance the club

Its great all this incoming money but theres a hell of a lot of money going out
You really wouldnt know how to run a business would you ?

You're a better owner for cashing in GBP 15M and bringing in players on 4 year deals than writing off 15M and potentially sending the club into admin when you get relegated again

Been thinking about it, and Hecky says he's hopeful of a player coming in before Palace. Don't the medicals take two days now?

That would mean a player has been having a medical today, no?
I think medicals can be as long or as short as the buying club wants them to be. I don’t think there’s any standard level as far as the league is concerned, it just depends to what extent the club want to go to.

Would imagine they’ve come on a bit now but when Paddy Kenny signed for QPR he tells the story that his medical was to bend over and touch his toes and I don’t even think he managed that but they still signed him.

Swiss, I would have kept him for the same reason Hecky wanted to on the grounds of it would give us more of a chance of staying up and you wouldnt get the equivalent player for the same price. Having said that, what you have laid out there makes total sense and I can see that logic.
I think its sensible to say that we have a good chance of staying up with him, but it's also about balancing the books and looking after the future beyond this season. We could still go down with him, then lose him for free and have an even more thread bare squad.

The most worrying thing this summer, for me, isn't that we've sold Berge and Ndiaye for less than their worth, its that we have a squad so small that we may not have enough players to last the season if we continue with our injury rates from last season.

If the sale enables longer term deals for more first team players (not just squad fillers), then i think it makes more sense

Some are Swiss , a lot aren’t ( looks at Shoutbox )
Theres a reason i've never used Shoutbox.

Back
Top Bottom