Harry Maguire

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Would you take him back for our first PL season?

• Yes

Votes: 220 72.8%
  • No

Votes: 82 27.2%

• Total voters
Very much agree.

Our transfer policy has been to buy young up and coming players which high potential.
The reason is because even if the worse happens and we are relegated from the Prem.....there should always be a high asset value to sell these players.
So as financial risks go.....it's a pretty safe policy.

The only way we'll buy a big name out of contract players is if we do a Jags.
Bring home a United old boy....who won't be able to perform as well but will be a massive positive influence on the training ground.
Also could appoint someone with a view regards coaching.

So I do think there's a good chance that in the future both Maguire and Walker will return to Sheff Utd
.......but only when their best years are well behind them.
The Jags transfer was a shocker. He was on £50k then 25k+ a week wasnt it? and was a liability in the first season and even worse in the second. Own goals and gaffes. Hopefully we have learnt the lesson and don't get misty eyed again for our over the hill old boys.

He's still a decent player but as soon as he was given the captaincy of a declining Man Utd team, the knives were out for him from fans and media bods who are used to seeing them dominate and thought that signing him for silly money was the answer to all their problems. Plenty of others signed for silly money have been and gone and not seen the sort of panning that he has - a) because they weren't captain and b) they weren't English.

Of course, Man Utd have done the square root of fuck all for a while now, have reinvented their squad a few times and still haven't achieved anything.

Their problems are at the top. Mourinho is sounding more sensible with every season that goes by that finishing second with that team was one of his best achievements in football, never mind all his league titles and Champions League medals.

Dunno, maybe as a replacement for Egan. But playing Harry and Egan together would be like watching a tortoise race.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen such a witchunt for one player before. This narrative has been established (largely because of these 'banter' Facebook and Twitter pages I must say) that Maguire is this joke of a defender who must be ripped to threads at every possible opportunity.

What is it? He's struggling for form and confidence, but he literally got booed by England fans a few months ago. It's so fucking toxic and I'm not quite sure how Maguire cops so much of it. He was literally in the team of the tournament for Euro 2020 LAST FUCKING YEAR!

Maybe I feel a bit overprotective of him because he's a Blade and all that. But it all seems to have gotten out of control. Here's a kid who worked his way up from League One to Man U captain in the space of a few years. He has reached the semi-finals of the World Cup and Euros, and has also scored at both tournaments. Yet he is being relentlessly mocked by all corners. I don't get it, honestly.

But it’s absolutely diabolical the amount of stick big Harry is having to take from his own so called fans. Most of which probably think Man Utd is a TV programme anyway.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen such a witchunt for one player before. This narrative has been established (largely because of these 'banter' Facebook and Twitter pages I must say) that Maguire is this joke of a defender who must be ripped to threads at every possible opportunity.

What is it? He's struggling for form and confidence, but he literally got booed by England fans a few months ago. It's so fucking toxic and I'm not quite sure how Maguire cops so much of it. He was literally in the team of the tournament for Euro 2020 LAST FUCKING YEAR!

Maybe I feel a bit overprotective of him because he's a Blade and all that. But it all seems to have gotten out of control. Here's a kid who worked his way up from League One to Man U captain in the space of a few years. He has reached the semi-finals of the World Cup and Euros, and has also scored at both tournaments. Yet he is being relentlessly mocked by all corners. I don't get it, honestly.
Is he actually a Blade, or a lad from Sheffield who played for us? I've always hoped it was the former but don't know.

The Jags transfer was a shocker. He was on £50k then 25k+ a week wasnt it? and was a liability in the first season and even worse in the second. Own goals and gaffes. Hopefully we have learnt the lesson and don't get misty eyed again for our over the hill old boys.
50-25 grand a week ? source please.

I'm not a huge fan our Harry as a top end centre half, and think the limitations he's always had have simply come to the fore the higher he's played.
That said, anyone suggesting that he wouldn't be a huge improvement to our side needs their head looking at. He would be the absolute perfect player for the role Egan currently plays for us. His shortcomings would be largely countered by those eitherside of him, and his aerial dominance and ability on the ball would give us a significant improvement over our current lineup.

That said, there is no way in the world this will happen.
You would be looking at a very expensive loan in an area of the pitch that we have a very capable player who's played the role for year, and also at Premier league level previously. We don't need him to replace a currently contracted player playing well at extortionate cost.
He's not yet at the point in his career where he'd need to consider a relegation fighting team as a viable option, regardless of his undoubted fondness for us. Maybe if he was 32 but that's a good contract away. So, he's not likely to be interested.
He was a very expensive accusation and won't hold a lot of value much longer. If Man Utd are wanting to move him on they need to do it now to recover a lot of their loss as they'll be supplementing his wages wherever he goes. A loan to us doesn't give them that. So Man Utd won't be interested in a loan to us.

It's illogical from the perspectives of all key stakeholders.

Don't always agree with you but this is spot on.
Maguire is a fine PL player and would be a major upgrade on any of our options.
But as you rightly say, it's completely hypothetical as he's on colossal money and is miles out of our grasps.

Chelsea and Barcelona were sniffing around Maguire this Summer, don't be too fooled by all of the social media nonsense and some of his recent form. The boy can play, even if he falls short at the very top.

Of course you’d bloody take him back 😂. Who do we think we are, if we’re promoted it won’t even be an option. He’s still a very good player going through a tough spell

He needs to come on loan to us to get his confidence back up, we'd be 100% behind him every week. The witch hunt surrounding him is terrible, it really shows the worse of football culture

Of course you’d bloody take him back 😂. Who do we think we are, if we’re promoted it won’t even be an option. He’s still a very good player going through a tough spell

As others have said, I can only image the people saying no to this are doing so for the financial side of it. As it's a hypothetical question that should be ignored.

He'd be the best defender on our books, by a considerable distance.

Whatever happens in the future Maguire needs to move somewhere now or his career could fizzle out. He’s become a lightning rod for Manchester United fans anger with their club and every mistake is highlighted and magnified. I can’t see a way he’s rehabilitated there so in my opinion he should move on sooner rather than later.
No different than the shit Norwood gets on here tbh

As others have said, I can only image the people saying no to this are doing so for the financial side of it. As it's a hypothetical question that should be ignored.

He'd be the best defender on our books, by a considerable distance.
That doesn't include long term injured on our books I assume

I feel sorry for the lad , yes his form is suffering & confidence looks shot but I think he’s been made the scapegoat by Man Utd fans for all things wrong at their club . I think he needs to move away from there to rebuild his career & I think confidence will return with that .
All the best Harry ⚔️

Is he good enough for us? Clearly.
Is he good enough for a club contenting for a top 6 spot? Only as rotation/cover.
Is he good enough for England? No, but then again none of the centre backs are, hence playing three to cover all the huge weaknesses they have.

Well now... the lad clearly needs a new start, and on paper you would think a return home could be just the tonic for him, and he'd be welcomed back with open arms.

However, whilst he is nowhere near as bad as the wanker ManU fan boys make out, he does seem to have lost a yard in the legs, and in the head recently. His decision making has become a bit weird, for both club and country.

Is this down to the pressure being put on him, or a genuine loss of form?

So in principle, yes I would have him back, and it could be a fairytale, but we also shouldn't expect a miraculous return to the player he once was.

Listened to under the cosh with Danny Wilson and he claims one of his proudest moments was turning Harry Maguire from a CM to a CB. Then went on to say Harry has never thanked him for that.

For as long as I can remember Harry Maguire and Kennedy was two CBs for the youth team. Never known Maguire as a CM.

Must just be a compulsive liar.

Manure rate him at 50 million pounds. I think they are deluded. A few years ago maybe, but now... No. Any thoughts? And the question was asked a while ago, would we have him back? Based on his ability, forget wages, fees etc, strictly ability.

Manure rate him at 50 million pounds. I think they are deluded. A few years ago maybe, but now... No. Any thoughts? And the question was asked a while ago, would we have him back? Based on his ability, forget wages, fees etc, strictly ability.
Yes. Next question.

Back
Top Bottom