Harry Maguire

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Would you take him back for our first PL season?

• Yes

Votes: 220 72.8%
  • No

Votes: 82 27.2%

• Total voters

Yes of course, nothing much has changed.

Still an excellent defender who is comfortable coming out with the ball and a better passer.
His big downfall is a lack of pace, so he needs to play with 2 centre backs either side of him, one with good pace.

Much of his effectiveness depends on the team he plays in.
If his team sit back a bit and rely on quick counter attacks then he'll be really effective.
If he plays in a team that dominate possession and push up to the half way then he'll struggle with the simple ball over the top.

He has similarities to Egan but would be an upgrade with more attributes.
Being realistic though...he wouldn't come to us just yet.
When his England career is completely over then we might stand a chance...it would be like the Jags free agent signing.

No, he'll be out of our price bracket regarding wages..

Can see him going to West Ham.

He’s in poor form, but he has been used as a scapegoat by Man Utd fans
Very true, although understandable in some ways their problems go much deeper if they don't win the league this year it will be 10 years since they last did. Not our problem though

Maguires confidence looks shot, he's a very good player, premier league and England and is what 28? He'll be back playing at the top level of the Premier league, looks like he could do with it being May and having a break away before a new season, comes across as a good lad, wish him good luck, the problem at the moment is as I say he looks down and he didn't play well last night and the world cup is round the corner, I'm sure he'll go but will he start?

He'll go to Everton, and then back to us when he's 38 alongside Walker

Very much agree.

Our transfer policy has been to buy young up and coming players which high potential.
The reason is because even if the worse happens and we are relegated from the Prem.....there should always be a high asset value to sell these players.
So as financial risks go.....it's a pretty safe policy.

The only way we'll buy a big name out of contract players is if we do a Jags.
Bring home a United old boy....who won't be able to perform as well but will be a massive positive influence on the training ground.
Also could appoint someone with a view regards coaching.

So I do think there's a good chance that in the future both Maguire and Walker will return to Sheff Utd
.......but only when their best years are well behind them.

Whatever happens in the future Maguire needs to move somewhere now or his career could fizzle out. He’s become a lightning rod for Manchester United fans anger with their club and every mistake is highlighted and magnified. I can’t see a way he’s rehabilitated there so in my opinion he should move on sooner rather than later.

Looking like his England and Premier League career is going the same way as Joe Hart's atm.
Well I was about to say, Harry could do with a loan to Rangers/Celtic then sign at a different English club, such as a return to Leicester, or just not a top 6 club with insane glare/pressure.

He won't have forgotten how to play. It's like Oli Mc... Confidence is vital, you can't be a top player if your confidence isn't in tact.

So I do think there's a good chance that in the future both Maguire and Walker will return to Sheff Utd
.......but only when their best years are well behind them.
Our history shows that this policy very rarely works. It was always an indication of us in decline. Harry was always over-rated and he's well past his best now and that's for sure. His anticipation (compared to Anel) rates about 4/10. His pace (compared to Anel) rates around 3/10. His bunny-hopping dance is always an indication that his head is fixed in one position - usually watching the player out wide with no regard to the possibility of opposition players buzzing around in the space behind him.

I'd have him back for his corner threat alone. Nothing else.

He's a class player, maybe not international class. But a fine player, struggling with form and confidence.

He's a class player, maybe not international class. But a fine player, struggling with form and confidence.
Not sure I agree. He’s been very good in all the tournaments he’s played in for England. Think his confidence is just shot at the moment and he’s panicked into making poor decisions. Could have done with a break last night and given Tomori a run out.

Sheffield United should be aiming higher than being viewed as a retirement home for superannuated ex-players.
We're only really talking ex united players not all of them.

I've often wondered why they tend to go to the States or something, I'm assuming because it's far easier for an English PL footballer to see out their career than in a lower league English division, championship teams can still give some PL sides a game.

I've long said it would be amazing if when Ronaldo, Messi and the like when they're a season or two from retiring went to a club league 1 or 2 club just to see how much they'd influence the side.

Absolutely not. I've seen him deteriorate game after game looking more and more clueless every time. It's as if every time he kicks a ball he loses his memory of being a footballer soon he'll go as far back as being toddler.

I'm not a huge fan our Harry as a top end centre half, and think the limitations he's always had have simply come to the fore the higher he's played.
That said, anyone suggesting that he wouldn't be a huge improvement to our side needs their head looking at. He would be the absolute perfect player for the role Egan currently plays for us. His shortcomings would be largely countered by those eitherside of him, and his aerial dominance and ability on the ball would give us a significant improvement over our current lineup.

That said, there is no way in the world this will happen.
You would be looking at a very expensive loan in an area of the pitch that we have a very capable player who's played the role for year, and also at Premier league level previously. We don't need him to replace a currently contracted player playing well at extortionate cost.
He's not yet at the point in his career where he'd need to consider a relegation fighting team as a viable option, regardless of his undoubted fondness for us. Maybe if he was 32 but that's a good contract away. So, he's not likely to be interested.
He was a very expensive accusation and won't hold a lot of value much longer. If Man Utd are wanting to move him on they need to do it now to recover a lot of their loss as they'll be supplementing his wages wherever he goes. A loan to us doesn't give them that. So Man Utd won't be interested in a loan to us.

It's illogical from the perspectives of all key stakeholders.

I can only assume the 60 voting no is for financial reasons.....

Watched Harry way back in his academy years, and always thought he would make a decent player, his pluses good in the air, can pass a ball and can tackle, his minuses, pace! And I've seen tankers turn quicker, think like one or two of the present England team, not much competition for places due to the prem being full of world wide players that's why he and they get picked, in my opinion never thought he was international material, and limited at best, but I guess he's made a good living out of being an average Joe.

Back
Top Bottom