HAMER TIME?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I heard he is on £62k per week at Everton and we are paying 25% of his wages
62 grand!! Ffs! Who failed at Everton, & even southampton kicked him out, but soft lad Wilder deemed him good enough to come here and sit on the fucking bench when he wasn't serving a fucking red card! Deary me!!

62 grand!! Ffs! Who failed at Everton, & even southampton kicked him out, but soft lad Wilder deemed him good enough to come here and sit on the fucking bench when he wasn't serving a fucking red card! Deary me!!
He signed that contract 6 years ago. I'm sure the lad will be well aware he'll be lucky to find a club willing to pay 25% of that for him now.

I have to say I was absolutely baffled in January about why we would bring in Holgate and pay a large percentage of his ridiculously high Everton wages out (it's a good deal for Everton Football Club said Dyche at the time) when we could have used those funds for the team this summer. I had no issue with bringing players in but they should have been used on players that we will be able to afford as a Championship club as that's what we were in reality in January. Instead of chucking £500k in wages for Holgate (who I have never really rated and who wasn't getting a game at Saints nor who is likely to want his Everton contract terminated) it would have been better identifying someone who we could bring in, bed them in, and are already in place for this coming season. I would rather we had gone out and brought in a top performing centre half from league 2 who had a bit of potential with those funds wasted on Holgate. Just money down the drain.

As for spending money of Grbic, well where do you start. We needed a re permanent keeper, but again, why not identio a lower league keeper with potential and use the funds spent on Grbic on them. I cannot believe that anyone has seen Grbic live and thought 'hes a cracking player'. It was sheer stupidity to sign that signing off.

When we as a club never seem to have any money, it is totally frustrating to see us making ludicrous decisions and wasting what we have. There just seems to have been a tot lack of common sense applied by the club in recent years. Bewildering decisions at times.

I have to say I was absolutely baffled in January about why we would bring in Holgate and pay a large percentage of his ridiculously high Everton wages out (it's a good deal for Everton Football Club said Dyche at the time) when we could have used those funds for the team this summer. I had no issue with bringing players in but they should have been used on players that we will be able to afford as a Championship club as that's what we were in reality in January. Instead of chucking £500k in wages for Holgate (who I have never really rated and who wasn't getting a game at Saints nor who is likely to want his Everton contract terminated) it would have been better identifying someone who we could bring in, bed them in, and are already in place for this coming season. I would rather we had gone out and brought in a top performing centre half from league 2 who had a bit of potential with those funds wasted on Holgate. Just money down the drain.

As for spending money of Grbic, well where do you start. We needed a re permanent keeper, but again, why not identio a lower league keeper with potential and use the funds spent on Grbic on them. I cannot believe that anyone has seen Grbic live and thought 'hes a cracking player'. It was sheer stupidity to sign that signing off.

When we as a club never seem to have any money, it is totally frustrating to see us making ludicrous decisions and wasting what we have. There just seems to have been a tot lack of common sense applied by the club in recent years. Bewildering decisions at times.
Good post. I saw the loan signing of Holgate as wilders try before you buy. He'd been after him for years, I was told that by Holgate himself when I met him in Bawtry once.

He signed that contract 6 years ago. I'm sure the lad will be well aware he'll be lucky to find a club willing to pay 25% of that for him now.

If his demands were less than 20 grand a week there will be a whole raft of clubs vying for his signature. Don't be ridiculous.

Hamer is in Ibiza right now, in the same place as the Ajax squad. Last night he told someone I know that he’s leaving but who knows, might have been the drink talking.

Hamer is in Ibiza right now, in the same place as the Ajax squad. Last night he told someone I know that he’s leaving but who knows, might have been the drink talking.
There's been rumblings for a while that he would be going back to Holland at the end of the season.

Like others, I thought no-one there would either want to, or be able to, pay the fee we'd accept but who knows.

DoF are a bad idea. Pick players based on committee and it becomes impossible to manage. As our summer transfer proved, I believe Hecky had very little input. Other clubs is chaos due to this are Everton and Burnley.
I hear you. I’m sure it doesn’t always work out and can go tits up like Everton.

But there has to be something other than knee-jerk responses after we have an offer for our best players accepted. Some kind of medium-term planning and squad building.

For example, we have a squad that’s incapable of switching anything other than a 5-3-2. A good DoF (or anyone else in a position to think long term) would have been pushing to bring a few players to give us the potential to play a 4-3-3 as well. Because if you sack a manager, you want your next manager to have some options. you don’t want to either take 2 years to rebuild a squad nor do you want to be limited to choosing only managers who play your style.

There's been rumblings for a while that he would be going back to Holland at the end of the season.

Like others, I thought no-one there would either want to, or be able to, pay the fee we'd accept but who knows.
Being in the same place as Ajax might be a complete coincidence. Man City ladies are also there.

I've never seen a blind squirrel alive. Can you prove this fact? Sorry, but this is a Sheffield United message board and we don't just listen to any old conjecture. WHAT'S YOUR SAUCE??
Old mother Hubbard and confusions. Very reliable source! As for for sauce, probably just ketchup!!

DoF are a bad idea. Pick players based on committee and it becomes impossible to manage. As our summer transfer proved, I believe Hecky had very little input. Other clubs is chaos due to this are Everton and Burnley.
DoFs fail when managers refuse to co-operate with them.

If a team favours a 3-5-2 system like us but the best players available in our price range and wage structure are a left and right winger, then the manager should adapt his system and formation to incorporate these wingers. That way the team puts out it's strongest side and plays to everyone's strengths and potential.

It fails when managers stubbornly stick to their favoured formation and tactics and try to change the players brought in to suit their formation and tactics and not vice versa.

This is why it works in American sports where teams have a head coach and a general manager. The GM looks after trades, draft picks, contracts, waivers etc while the coach just manages the games. The best coaches adapt the way they play around what they've got. They might not like it when players are traded but they get on. If a team goes on a losing streak because the GM weakened the team, then the coach isn't held entirely accountable for the results.

It's happening more and more over here with teams utilising DoFs. Brighton, Brentford, Coventry, even Lincoln City and Peterborough. All of these teams have fantastic scouting and recruitment because of having a DoF, and they have good managers who use what they're given effectively.

Part of the success with these clubs is having young and forward thinking coaches, and not stubborn dinosaurs stuck in their ways.

Could a DoF work for Sheffield United? Absolutely. Could I see Chris Wilder adapting to work with one? Absolutely not.

Last edited:

have to agree with every word of that post and worries me regarding wilder with holgate and grbic both absolute nonsense signings and a complete waste of money and i do think if the last few months had been anbody but chris wilder we would have sacked them it pains me saying all this as i was a big chris wilder fan first time round but ive an uncomfortable feeling its not going to work out this time round having said all that hope he rams these comments down my throat and proves me completely wrong

There’s nuance missing in your debate, DoF’s do (and have) worked for a number of clubs.

I’m not sure it would suit our club mentality as we are very much ‘Ham and Eggs’ when it comes to most things (or Chips and Fish if you prefer a Wilderism).

This is a general problem with football managers; their desire to not accept reality until it is irrefutable and avoid the responsibility which goes with their decisions. It’s not exclusive to Wilder. Take Kompany; happy to spaff 100m up the wall on his project, which he’ll be happy to abandon now his Agent has pulled a rabbit out of the hat.

The logical thing to do in January would have been to start cutting our losses.

If we could have cashed in on Anel as a then Premier League player in a struggling team, for instance, then we should have done.

Only then loan a player if they are providing a stop gap for a worthwhile sale.

It’s a difficult balancing act.

Brereton-Diaz provided some hope at least and given Forest stayed up with the modest total of 32, back in January we might have fancied that target.

In the end we were miles off.

We would have been better experimenting with different formations and blooding players and perhaps recruiting in advance for the Championship.

We then hear integrity of the league. If we were bothered about that then perhaps we should have spent more than a net of around 12m, post Archer return!

i was hoping we could build our championship squad round hamer and arblaster but its looking increasingly likely that hamer will be sold anything 20m or over and hes gone imo

i was hoping we could build our championship squad round hamer and arblaster but its looking increasingly likely that hamer will be sold anything 20m or over and hes gone imo
It’s got that feeling about it, hasn’t it? Without meaning to be defeatist, if Hamer, Anel and Souza go, plus we lose all the loanees and the out of contract old-guard, it’s basically a complete rebuild of a squad. There’s no way that happens in one window, probably more like four windows. And even then, will need a cohesive medium-term recruitment and development strategy, whilst consuming all of our parachute payments.

Not saying it’s impossible we’ll have a good season. I really like the look of this group of young lads, for example. But it will take a hell of a lot of things falling in our favour.

Can another Championship team trigger his relegation release clause ? I know knowone has actually seen his contract, but just in principle with how these clauses normally work.

I would assume they can but it all depends how it is worded and if he would want to go to another championship club

Back
Top Bottom