Great referee today ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Allie McCoist was a pretty good co-commentator too I thought. Miles better than Don Goodman and Andy Hinchcliffe.

Yep, McCoist is clearly the best co-commentator right now by a country mile, saying this having been to the game and not seen anything today, just on his body of work

Allie McCoist was a pretty good co-commentator too I thought. Miles better than Don Goodman and Andy Hinchcliffe.

McCoist in my opinion is the best co-commentator on tv. He should be used more. Hated it at the World Cup when we got stuck with Dixon for the England game when ITV has McCoist

Just finished watching the game back and at the time I thought the ref took a long time looking at the screen for the penalty - which suggests to me it wasn't clear cut in his eyes, which made me think he wouldn't give it. I thought it was harsh but with current rules they seem to be given

The penalty looking back was 100% a penalty, to be fair he should have been sent off twice.
And this is why we bang our heads against a wall the exact polar opposite to common sense. I get the laws have changed that said we get a pen in that manner it's soft it's pathetic it's borderline cheating players will look to ping balls into players arms on purpose chase refs round claiming penalty.

The laws are an ASS PENALTY MY ARSE. disgraceful decision. If you see someone shoot someone do you find them not guilty? I'm sure you would find a way

No. Clearly I must be wrong because all replies say so, and nobody else is mentioning it. 🙃
Only seen the highlight reel on here, and only on my phone, but he looks half a yard off to me as the pass forwards is made. I can't seem to freeze the footage as he passed it though. Specsavers for me then! 👀

I initially thought he looked marginally off real-time as it seemed we’d stepped up in panic quickly enough, not seen any replays at all yet though.

As soon as it goes to VAR with ultra slow mo … it makes ever movement look more contrived than it actually is… should show it real time then slo mo them real time etc.

Otherwise almost every decision will be given

Just finished watching the game back and at the time I thought the ref took a long time looking at the screen for the penalty - which suggests to me it wasn't clear cut in his eyes, which made me think he wouldn't give it. I thought it was harsh but with current rules they seem to be given
The pen was the easy bit! I think the ref took his time as deliberate handball would have seen red.Got it right in my humble opinion.

The pen was the easy bit! I think the ref took his time as deliberate handball would have seen red.Got it right in my humble opinion.
I agree. As soon as you stretch your leg out to the left your arm will follow it. For anyone who doesn't agree try doing it without falling over. You need to to balance. Both the yellow card and the offside were correct.

With the later tackle by Robinson I think he actually played and touched the ball (see the direction the ball went). That's why he wasn't given a second yellow. I'm sure Donohue or Stoud would have has their hand in their pocket before you could have said boo though.

On reflection I agree with you but I still think the penalty was harsh

I’d be interested to know what the statistics are about refs going to the monitor and the ensuing decision. We just knew it would be a penalty because “they always give it”, because they always seem to, but is that true?

On reflection I agree with you but I still think the penalty was harsh
After watching several replays I am still not convinced that was a penalty. His hand is coming down towards his body and he turns slightly away from the ball. In real time, no one would have thought it was a pen. And don't forget, Wes saved it anyway. All irrelevant now, but the current handball rule needs looking at.

Overall he was good. He let the game flow. Didn't get sucked in by their diving. Ignored their player who Illy ripped his face off, which lead to our goal.
Penalty, not for me, but it's a coin flick.
Plus he didn't give JLT a second yellow for his challenge that was a yellow.

Yep, McCoist is clearly the best co-commentator right now by a country mile, saying this having been to the game and not seen anything today, just on his body of work
Unlike Clive Tyldesley, who I believe at one point referred to Doyles grandparents as being very proud of his career!

I’d be interested to know what the statistics are about refs going to the monitor and the ensuing decision. We just knew it would be a penalty because “they always give it”, because they always seem to, but is that true?

No idea on the numbers but anecdotally I can only think of one or two times where I've seen a ref go to the monitor and stick with his original decision. I guess that's to be expected though seeing how it only gets to that stage when your colleague is saying "I think you might have got this one wrong".

No idea on the numbers but anecdotally I can only think of one or two times where I've seen a ref go to the monitor and stick with his original decision. I guess that's to be expected though seeing how it only gets to that stage when your colleague is saying "I think you might have got this one wrong".

At least ours wasn’t quite as contentious as the one in the Man U v Fulham game yesterday. Fulham well on top, look at the monitor, give a penalty and a minute later, three red cards

Nobody in the ground saw it.
Nobody appealed.
Therefore not clear and obvious.
Why did bastard VAR even get involved?

Both arms out for balance, pulls them both in, and the ball hits it on the way down.
Were they in an unnatural position to make himself bigger? No, therefore no pen.
Life was so much simpler when hand ball had to be deliberate and most people understood what that meant. I'll be honest, what you've written sounds plausible but I've no idea if those are the rules anymore.

Life was so much simpler when hand ball had to be deliberate and most people understood what that meant. I'll be honest, what you've written sounds plausible but I've no idea if those are the rules anymore.
To be fair mate neither do I.
The days when a defender gave a pen away for diving full length to make a save were much simpler!

Back
Top Bottom