Grbic

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The ironic thing is, the Prince was sailing so close to the wind we have now been punished for it.

We were short on 8.1m.

This summer we’ve spent more than that on Grbic, Traore and Slimane.

In each case, we may have been better off simply not bothering.

For the 5.8m we spent on Trusty, who has looked completely out of his depth, I wonder how much worse someone like Frecklington would have been if given the job as back up defender?

No wonder Mitch went if that was the best he could manage.

Anyone seeing Grbic would know there are plenty better keepers out there. As bad as his rick was against Norwich, he could have just rotated Davies and Foderingham and been no worse off.

Apart from his injuries, he had one cameo in December I think where he should have scored, maybe Brentford at home? On limited viewing he looks slow and unathletic. A bit like Try Dellas but without the quality.

Traore just looks so slight and inappropriate for our league.

The amount of money we’ve wasted since promotion the first time has been scandalous.
Is there any hope ?

It definitely becomes scapegoating when he’s getting slagged after games in which he’s done very little wrong.
Do you accept a keeper can add to a poor performance with poor kicking meaning it's just wave after wave of attack? Because I notice this a lot with him even if I don't particularly single him out for the more traditional goalkeeping errors he makes

Do you accept a keeper can add to a poor performance with poor kicking meaning it's just wave after wave of attack? Because I notice this a lot with him even if I don't particularly single him out for the more traditional goalkeeping errors he makes
I have to agree with the poor kicking. A few times yesterday he dallied with the ball at his feet, got closed down and then when he kicked the ball it sort of drifted about 30 yards into midfield. Their player more often than not won the ball and it became a dangerous attack. If he’s going to pump it than he needs to put his laces through it.

Wes was a miles better keeper than this dope only United are capable of buying a worse keeper then sticking with the daft decision. Bin the hopeless fucker and get Wes back in. Yes Wes made mistakes but any keeper will facing 40 shots a match. Many many matches Wes kept the scoring down.

Wes was a miles better keeper than this dope only United are capable of buying a worse keeper then sticking with the daft decision. Bin the hopeless fucker and get Wes back in. Yes Wes made mistakes but any keeper will facing 40 shots a match. Many many matches Wes kept the scoring down.
He was Man of the Match about 5 times. How come he's shipping the blame for those goals against.?

He was Man of the Match about 5 times. How come he's shipping the blame for those goals against.?
No idea. Yes people wanted to blame Wes but most didn’t another pretty shit decision. The transfers IN have been awful the recruitment is based on relatively low value gambles. They need to pack it in, it isn’t working and it’s obvious it has to stop. Every time they quality over quantity then go and buy a pile of crap it’s so frustrating.

Arguably, in my opinion Wes would have saved that kick from Arblaster for the OG. Watching it back today its as though Grbic cant over extend his reach. He stops short. Determination to stop a ball can give you few inches more reach.

Remembering Roy's post when he was signed, Lille supporters came to the same conclusion we have. Atletico's seem to rate him. I can't think why, though their keepers tend to have a lot less to do so there are fewer fuckups by default, I suppose. They're all agreed that's he's a very decent fellow, of which I have no doubt. Sadly, professional football is a brutal meritocracy and good guys don't necessarily get what they deserve.

Having seem him live playing for Atletico he made the most horrendous ricket which cost a goal, and ultimately a defeat, so this is par for the course it seems to me.

I don't blame Grbic, or any player come to that, for being shite,. They can't help not being good enough. I'm sure Ivo is performing to the best of his ability but sadly it is nowhere near enough for the level we'll be playing at next season, let alone this.

If fans want to blame someone they should target the fool that offered him a contract and certainly the person who keeps selecting him to play.

Last edited:
👍
I’d guess that our coaches were more annoyed with Trusty and McAtee for the first goal and Arblaster lost his man for the second.
Some of the criticism of Grbic is ridiculous.
disagree the criticism is justified hes garbage hes up there with some of the worst keepers weve had at the lane fodderingham is better and hes been told hes not good enough this guy will be moved on in the summer

the simple fact is that wes fodderingham is a better keeper than grbic and was told by our manager hes not good enough ive heard a bit of a rumour grbic will be transfer listed this summer and think we have to go for johannsen at rotherham hes been brilliant for them this season
Goodness knows why Wilder had to say that to Wes - his words are getting stuffed back down his throat.
I hope the rumour is correct + Wilder is man enough to eat humble pie on this one.
Yes Wes has dropped clangers but he's also made some great saves - nothing wrong with him as a no.2 (and get rid of Davies) but Wilder has probably pissed him off now to the extent he'll not accept that.

We have had some top top keepers in the past, a keeper has something about them, they pull off a worldie every now and then, be good with their feet, grbic has done nothing so far to make him look like a prem class keeper.
When the ball goes back to him he kicks it out or kicks it to them, would love to see the stats on his distribution. Anyone got that info?
We look nervous at times, set pieces scare the living daylights out of me now. Mind you, we were shit at set pieces before grbic.
Wish Hendo would have come back to us....
Hendo was on fire today, wonder how many grbic would have saved....

Goodness knows why Wilder had to say that to Wes - his words are getting stuffed back down his throat.
I hope the rumour is correct + Wilder is man enough to eat humble pie on this one.
Yes Wes has dropped clangers but he's also made some great saves - nothing wrong with him as a no.2 (and get rid of Davies) but Wilder has probably pissed him off now to the extent he'll not accept that.
if we can get rid of grbic maybe wilder might be able to persuade wes to stay here and fight for the spot ideally with viktor johannsen if we can get him cant remember the last time we had 2 genuine contenders for the keepers shirt maybe right back to the kelly/tracy era

Some interesting stats here: https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepersadv/Premier-League-Stats

The best stat for comparing keepers is "Post shot expected goals minus goals allowed", which is the number of goals you would expect to be scored from all the shots taken against them (Post shot expected goals) minus how many were actually scored. So negative means the keeper has saved less shots than would be expected and positive means they saved more than expected.

On this stat Grbic is stone dead last in the league, Wes is about a 1/3 of the way down.

The site also lists this stat per 90 mins, which effectively tells you how many goals a keeper is saving you or costing you per game. According to this Grbic is costing us 1 goal PER GAME compared to Wes who cost us 0.06 goals per game.

Obviously Grbic hasn't had many games compared to Wes so you have to take the stats with a pinch of salt, but the consistently baffling technique when facing shots along with the terrible distribution and complete lack of presence in the box makes you wonder how he's got anywhere near any professional football team, let alone La Liga and the Premier League.

Some interesting stats here: https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepersadv/Premier-League-Stats

The best stat for comparing keepers is "Post shot expected goals minus goals allowed", which is the number of goals you would expect to be scored from all the shots taken against them (Post shot expected goals) minus how many were actually scored. So negative means the keeper has saved less shots than would be expected and positive means they saved more than expected.

On this stat Grbic is stone dead last in the league, Wes is about a 1/3 of the way down.

The site also lists this stat per 90 mins, which effectively tells you how many goals a keeper is saving you or costing you per game. According to this Grbic is costing us 1 goal PER GAME compared to Wes who cost us 0.06 goals per game.

Obviously Grbic hasn't had many games compared to Wes so you have to take the stats with a pinch of salt, but the consistently baffling technique when facing shots along with the terrible distribution and complete lack of presence in the box makes you wonder how he's got anywhere near any professional football team, let alone La Liga and the Premier League.

The coaching staff obviously have access to these stats, and they also have eyes, so he will surely be dropped at some point.

If Wes had played, and the statistics had followed through, we'd have conceded 8 fewer goals, and have 8 extra points (yes, that's a simplistic way of looking at it). We'd have also run Liverpool and Brentford very close, which might have resulted in more points. The buzz from the crowd and extra impetus from being on the verge of safety could well have meant things looked even better, and we might have at least enjoyed the run-in with something to play for.

disagree the criticism is justified hes garbage hes up there with some of the worst keepers weve had at the lane fodderingham is better and hes been told hes not good enough this guy will be moved on in the summer
Is this true..or just your opinion.

I think the highlight on the wiki page for Grbic is "After his debut with Atlético Madrid, Grbić tested positive for COVID-19 but was considered asymptomatic".

Wes & Grbik are equally poor in kicking and generally seem slow in their thinking, just get Johanson with Grimshaw , Blackpool or Jenson from Lincoln as back up, who ever signed our two was clueless

I'll be honest, I dont see the fascination for kicking, in a goalkeeper. I know it's a modern trend but first and foremost they have to be able to keep clean sheets, dive, have good reactions, positional play and reading of a game. I don't really care about anything else.

Certainly the things you list are more important than distribution, but that doesn't mean it's not important. Every time we run out of options in midfield/defence for a good pass forward and we go back to the keeper (an issue in itself is how often we end up doing this), and we're relying on his kicking to do something useful with the ball. If most of the time the ball ends up comfortably retrieved by one of their defenders or out of play then its going to come straight back at the defence and put us under immediate pressure.

It's very often in games that we get into a cycle of being under pressure, scrapily win the ball back, hoof it away/out and straight back to pressure with no counter/forwards threat. A keeper with good distribution does a lot to alleviate that by playing a ball to a midfielder for them to retain possession of or spotting a run of a forward and setting us straight on an attack.

Back
Top Bottom