Grbic

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It gets worse the more you look. The average post-shot xG of all the shots he's faced is the lowest in the league of any keeper to play meaningful minutes this season (36th out of 38 but the last two keepers have barely played). That essentially means that of all the shots on target when he's been in goal, he has faced ones that are - on average - more likely to be saved than anyone else.

For context, Wes is 5th out of 38 in this category - he faced, on average, the 5th-most difficult shots of any keeper in the PL this season.

We did a shit job of protecting Wes; we've done a decent job of protecting Grbic. He's just performed terribly.
This

Being super critical here but I had seen enough of him after his very first match.

I was sat behind the goal on the kop for that game mainly becuase I wanted to see the new keeper in action. "Ooooh he came from Madrid, he must be alright" and all that.

Brighton scored within the opening minutes but it was ruled offside. I knew then at that point he was shit. His positioning was just plain wrong.

OK OK give him a chance...
Concedes 5...

Then carries on the trend for a few more games.

Gifts Liverpool probably the easiest goal they've scored this season.

Then shows us he cannot use his feet and body against Chelsea. To go along with his arms.

I don't get how anybody can possibly think Olsen (or even Ramsdale) were worse. They had a least some redeeming skills to back them up. This guy offers nothing of note. I have seen lower, much lower league keepers way better than him.

The Academy descended into a hushed & reverential silence as Plato stood to speak,
All present were entranced as the greatest mind and orator in Ancient Greece, and indeed of any epoch, paused before opining on the preposition that challenged the very foundations and fabric of the Society that he had equipped and shaped and formed,
A Society that birthed philosophical thought and direction still of great significance, indeed increasing imperative for millennia to come……….
Great, but did he say he expected Grbic to be outstanding next season ?

Stats are great, and limited. Football fans are over emotional, and sheep like in their opinions. Short term, it's very possible for some nonsense short term opinion to be formed. Statistics go a long way to remove those human biases.

In this case, it appears tat the fans widespread concern is justified.

My initial post was, pretty much, tongue in cheek regarding people actually looking at the stats.
Seems just about everyone I've spoken to after the last few games has, if not the first comment, had an opinion on the performance of the keeper. None have been remotely positive!

I'm not trying to defend Grbic but re the Chelsea goal, he's gambled that the shot will go across the face of the goal. It didn't and he should have waited to see where the shot was going but had it gone across the face and he'd stayed rooted to the near post some would say he didn't move fast enough etc!

Paddy Kenny did exactly the same v Johnson in the play offs v Forest years ago but no one criticised him then I recall.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

I don't know why people don't rate him. I think Grbic looks to be an excellent keeper. He's made one or two mistakes, but so does every keeper in the league. Most of the goals he has let in, no keeper in the league would have stopped.

Good keeper. Just seems because one poster says he's crap, everybody else jumps on the band wagon. I will stick my neck and say, once he leaves us, he will go to a bigger club.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

I don't know why people don't rate him. I think Grbic looks to be an excellent keeper. He's made one or two mistakes, but so does every keeper in the league. Most of the goals he has let in, no keeper in the league would have stopped.

Good keeper. Just seems because one poster says he's crap, everybody else jumps on the band wagon. I will stick my neck and say, once he leaves us, he will go to a bigger club.
Some of your wind ups are funny, and most are just shite. This is the latter.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

Get yourself fucked off pig

Must be like Leeds when they signed Casillas, thought he was the champions league winner, turned out to be the wrong one 🤔 😅

Great, but did he say he expected Grbic to be outstanding next season ?
Tad unfair, Plato was a philosopher not a seer although his mate Euclid was canny with numbers & I’d hazard a guess he’d suggest that statistically the likelihood of Ivo being (becoming?!) “ outstanding” are somewhat slim 🤔

Unless there's a huge turnaround in his performances before the end of the season, I'd expect Wilder to try to offload.

He's made his point to Wes but I can't see him continuing with him next season. There's been the odd example of keeping under-performing players in the team but far more of moving people on who aren't contributing.

He's had zero preseason with us, he's not had much playing time at Atlético due to one of the world's best keepers being number 1, he's in a team described by many as one of the worst Premier league clubs ever - odds very much stacked against him

I think it's slightly unfair to write him off just yet, he's hasn't played for the Croatian national team for no reason.

I rarely, if ever jump on a player bashing bandwagon. I just don't think to achieves owt.

However, what I will say, is that Wilder's "he's my number one" comments, on Grbic's arrival, are appearing more and more bizarre.
It hammers home how annoyed/ dissatisfied he was with Wes, he could NEVER have imagined how inept Grbic is, I would think he regrets what he said now

Hi Stegosaurus here,

You absolute muppet,wind up merchant etc etc, prediction for your game v Norwich tonight?

He's had zero preseason with us, he's not had much playing time at Atlético due to one of the world's best keepers being number 1, he's in a team described by many as one of the worst Premier league clubs ever - odds very much stacked against him

I think it's slightly unfair to write him off just yet, he's hasn't played for the Croatian national team for no reason.
Sounds reasonable on the face of it, but as an ex keeper, like a few on here, we wonder how he managed that. If you’re playing in a shit team, odds stacked against you, you don’t give up. You at least try and stand in the right place and react. As for playing for the national team, may I remind you of a famous banner relating to our Piggy neighbours. “IF CHRIS WOODS CAN PLAY FOR ENGLAND SO CAN I “.

Not playing Ndiaye because he wouldn't sign a contract was an ownership decision.......

That's like excusing a bricklayer for this because he's not been working for Barratt for long.
Screenshot_20240409_171331_Google.jpg

its time for wilder to hold his hands up and admit hes made a mistake bringing this guy in hes up there with one of the worst keepers ive ever seen playing for us get rid and do everything we can to get johannsen in from toytown
THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN ITS ALL ON CW THAT 1

Hi Stegosaurus here,

Attachments

• H1gE8Q81_400x400.png
    H1gE8Q81_400x400.png
    60.4 KB · Views: 3
For a long time, we never signed anyone from foreign clubs. In recent seasons, we’ve signed these players directly from foreign clubs who we hadn’t seen play in English leagues:

Grbic, Souza, Slimane, Larouci, Traore, Anel, Olsen, Uremovic, Berge, Retsos, Verrips, Zivkovic.

Two names stand out from that list; one player looks like a decent ‘find’ at a very good price. Have I missed any others?

It’s clearly a lot harder to recruit from across the continent, but should we just keep trying until we get better at it, or be more wary of trying to bring players in from these foreign clubs? Or have we done OK overall …

Sounds reasonable on the face of it, but as an ex keeper, like a few on here, we wonder how he managed that. If you’re playing in a shit team, odds stacked against you, you don’t give up. You at least try and stand in the right place and react. As for playing for the national team, may I remind you of a famous banner relating to our Piggy neighbours. “IF CHRIS WOODS CAN PLAY FOR ENGLAND SO CAN I “.
I thought Chris Woods was decent, Martin Hodge on the other hand was not so good.

I think we should still sign another keeper next season, I just don't think we can judge Grbić totally until he's playing in a decent team.

Back
Top Bottom