Going to watch Wednesday

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I went there to see Pele play.
Does that make me a bad person?!

I do go to all of Club’s home games though - lost 6-0 away yesterday!

Let’s Go Sheffield - Let’s Go Club!

UTB & Slava Ukraini

Bad day at the office for Sheffield FC and Hallam yesterday.

I've been to see Barnsley and Wednesday before, but always in the away end with friends who support the visitors. Which raised a few issues around accents when I realised it might have been an error!

When my dad started going to games, he went to see us at home and Wednesday when we were away. It costs pennies back then though, but he couldn't afford to travel.

I did used to go to Saltergate as a teenager with Wednesday mates when neither of us were playing at the same time. Cheap student tickets and the ability to stand on the terraces.

I'm seriously considering going to see Hallam over the break.

Reactions: Dkc
Years ago been to few Wednesday games with mates from school. At the time we also went to Bramall Lane too.
Believe me the experience of Bramall Lane was on another level when compared to the Hillsborough visits.

Just seen a United fan getting pelters from both sides for going to Wednesday’s match yesterday.

Personally I couldn’t think of owt worse. Quite frankly there’s many downright disgusting things I’d rather do before I willingly stepped foot inside The Sty (derby-day excluded obviously).

Please tell me no one on here has ever lost their minds and done it too?

It's not for me at all, and, frankly, I find this sort of thing very distasteful, but I thought gender fluidity was the modern way.

Face it dinosaurs, the woke-ass meteorite is coming to destroy your world.

"It's progress. But not all progress is forwards."
Albert Einstein, the internet, 2022

Why would they sing about hating Utd? They were there to support their team. They sang songs in support of their own players and team. I did not join in those songs, because they were/are not my team.

Their fans sing about United like our fans sing about Wednesday and every other fanbase sings about their main rivals. Just a thing isn’t it.

I couldn’t do it anyway so fair play. The thought of having to cheer or clap them scoring a goal makes me feel ill. 🤢

Their fans sing about United like our fans sing about Wednesday and every other fanbase sings about their main rivals. Just a thing isn’t it.

I couldn’t do it anyway so fair play. The thought of having to cheer or clap them scoring a goal makes me feel ill. 🤢
We're at complete cross purposes. Why would I, or anyone, have to cheer or clap when they scored a goal? I certainly didn't. Again, they're not my team, I was just at the game(s).

He pops up on my twitter timeline all the time. He does do some weird things.

I have attended a couple of pig games though. Free ticket from school so went with my pig mates. It was against Chelsea which explains how long ago it was 🤣. Emerson Thome was playing for Chelsea.
I was on Kop and about 20mins into the game I hear this reyt loud voice - "NAH THEN MATT YA PIGGY CUNT, WHAT YOU DOING HERE?".. ffs, cheers for that 🙄

Then a few years ago when Burnley won the Championship I went to the Burnley game. Company I was at had a corporate deal on so I went with some clients.

I think this is the lad who went all the way to Coventry before realising he'd brought last seasons ticket

Used to be completely normal that fans would go to Hillsborough one week and The Lane the week after.

I attended a Wednesday v Leeds reserve game in my teens with THE LADS. No idea why to be honest. Rod Wallace got a hat trick
I only recall being at two SWFC Home Reserve games not involving SUFC. Both because it was a convenient time to also go to the Box Office to get tickets for the Derby. Once before the 1971 nil nil (nabbed tickets in the cantilever). Once before the 1979 0-4 (nabbed tickets in the South Stand).

I was also fascinated by the Peter Swan saga/story. Went to a few SWFC home games when his ban was up & he made a comeback of sorts.

Went to see Pele play as well (Wednesday v Santos).

I went as a kid after getting a free ticket, my mum took me and they hammered Wimbledon if my memory serves. Does it really matter?

Used to be completely normal that fans would go to Hillsborough one week and The Lane the week after.

I attended a Wednesday v Leeds reserve game in my teens with THE LADS. No idea why to be honest. Rod Wallace got a hat trick

I have mentioned before that my Grandad, who was a Blade, always said that pre-1960's, it was quite common to go and watch "the other side", when you couldn't afford to follow your own team away. Him and his pals went as neutrals, to just watch football. Not everyone had a TV back then, so the only alternative, on a Saturday afternoon, was to go shopping with your missus.........

I can't say I see a problem with it, I'd go to a match with didn't involve the Blades but I definitely wouldnt pay £30 or whatever for the privilege.

My son's both have season tickets for Totton FC so I'm going to take them next week while there's no decent footy on.

I've even been to three SWFC away games (not at Bramall Lane)

I stood on the away end at Roker Park with the pig fans once (some SWFC mates were visiting the North East for the game, so we met up). I just stood watching, and didn’t cheer any goals (it was 1-1) nor join in any singing. Nice to see how the other half live as it were, but it made me appreciate being a Blade all the more.

I have been 8 times to Hillsborough. Seen us 3 times. Also been with mates, sometimes in the away end.

Wednesday’s record in these games? Won 6 drew 2 lost 0. Hence I stopped doing this. Not been since 1995.

I’ve also seen the odd Wednesday away match when they have played where I live or I get a freebie. Happily they have lost some of these games.

I went there to see Pele play.
Does that make me a bad person?!

I do go to all of Club’s home games though - lost 6-0 away yesterday!

Let’s Go Sheffield - Let’s Go Club!

UTB & Slava Ukraini
Same here regarding Pele , you got the afternoon off school if you could show you had a ticket for the match . Only time i've been when United haven't been playing them , and i can't see that ever changing !!

My old fella used to tell me that when he was young he’d go and watch both clubs, Sheffield after all and everyone should get behind both clubs he would tell me, it was very very common back then, even when I was a nipper it was still common. But it is something so alien to me and I personally can’t comprehend ever doing it, strange behaviour if you ask me but each to their own. Used to tell the old fella he was strange for doing it also.

My old fella used to tell me that when he was young he’d go and watch both clubs, Sheffield after all and everyone should get behind both clubs he would tell me, it was very very common back then, even when I was a nipper it was still common. But it is something so alien to me and I personally can’t comprehend ever doing it, strange behaviour if you ask me but each to their own. Used to tell the old fella he was strange for doing it also.
My maternal grandfather supported both teams, my uncle Pete (Wendy) and my dad (Blade) used to watch both clubs home games. In those days many workers worked on Saturday mornings so going to away games wasnt an option.

When I started following football in 1970, my dad took me to Saltergate or S6 if the Blades werent playing home games, my first away match was at Leicester in March 1970 and then started going to away games more often from October 1970

It's just the way I'm stood.
I've posted before about my poor mate. He's got himself into a right tangle. He's become so obsessed with his fake hatred of Wednesday that he now won't leave the house as, living in Sheffield, he knows that some people he sees will be "pig fans" & he wouldn't be able to stand the sight of them. It's no life for him. But, that's what he wants.

We wind him up that maybe the Sainsbury's delivery guy, or the Deliveroo chap, or his postie, or his binman, are "pig fans" and he'd better knock them off as well.

He honestly believes that "life" makes him a Big Blade. Poor fucker.

I've posted before about my poor mate. He's got himself into a right tangle. He's become so obsessed with his fake hatred of Wednesday that he now won't leave the house as, living in Sheffield, he knows that some people he sees will be "pig fans" & he wouldn't be able to stand the sight of them. It's no life for him. But, that's what he wants.

We wind him up that maybe the Sainsbury's delivery guy, or the Deliveroo chap, or his postie, or his binman, are "pig fans" and he'd better knock them off as well.

He honestly believes that "life" makes him a Big Blade. Poor fucker.

Protestants and Catholics can be civil, even friends, despite one being convinced of the other's eternal damnation to hell.
You shouldn't underestimate the human capacity to compartmentalise.

I remember in the early 1970s autograph hunting outside the John Street player's entrance, a young lady was always there wearing a very long half and half scarf of red and white in one half, blue and white in the other half
Was it SwissBlade ’s mum?😆

I can't say I see a problem with it, I'd go to a match with didn't involve the Blades but I definitely wouldnt pay £30 or whatever for the privilege.

My son's both have season tickets for Totton FC so I'm going to take them next week while there's no decent footy on.
Is that AFC Totton, near Southampton? Knocked us out of the FA Trophy 2-1 earlier this season, the buggers. Great pitch and facilities for the level - lot to be said for a tie up with a higher level womens‘ team. Nice friendly bunch; enjoyed my visit.

Just seen a United fan getting pelters from both sides for going to Wednesday’s match yesterday.

Personally I couldn’t think of owt worse. Quite frankly there’s many downright disgusting things I’d rather do before I willingly stepped foot inside The Sty (derby-day excluded obviously).

Please tell me no one on here has ever lost their minds and done it too?

I went in the away end with a mate from uni who is a Newcastle fan - shearer 1-0 pen. Was weird enough doing that.

Back in the 80's my mate in the Air Force was a big Leeds fan and coaxed a few of us to watch the Scunthorpe v Leeds FA Cup replay at the old Scunny ground. At one point Leeds took the lead and the Leeds fans started singing " Champions, champions, champions of Europe" One of my other mates turned to me a quietly said " scoring against Scunthorpe doesn't qualify you as champions of Europe ". Even back they were delusional.

I was walking past the sty one day when they were playing leeds and a copper shouted me over and gave me a ticket

Really enjoyed it they lost 6-0

My mate used to have a box at Hillsboro for quite a few years and when the Blades were on a long distance away game I often got an invite. Very rarely did I watch the football though. I spent most of the time watching Jeff Stelling and drinking the free beer on offer. He once sponsored a game after the Pigs won promotion at the Millennium stadium but I refused to have my photograph taken with them and the trophy

Back in 1997 the firm I worked for had some corporate seats at Blackburn Rovers and I was asked if I wanted to take half a dozen of my customers to the game against Sheffield Wed. I wasn't keen but they insisted so I rounded up 6 of the ones I knew supported the Grunters and took them to the game. some of you may remember Blackburn won 7-2 and I was pissing myself through the entire game and all the way home, it probably cost me thousands in lost commission over the next few years but was well worth it. UTB

Back
Top Bottom