Gillingham match on Saturday

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We complain in the North about being overshadowed by London but there are towns in the south near London where that is even more the case. Gillingham is a reasonably sized town but gets very little publicity. Two of the greatest broadcasters of the 20th century are from there - Brian Moore and David Frost - so it can't be that bad! (And yes I did just look at Wikipedia!). I did like a comment I once read that the Brian Moore stand was like the man himself, its got nothing on top!
Gills fanzine Brian Moores Head looks uncannily like London Planetarium, was excellent.

I cannot understand why this wasn't chosen for live broadcast.
Who's really interested in the Juniors of Arsenal v Liverpool?
Horrendous bias shown by the TV stations.
it was dreadful but it has been for years. i remember when Kidderminster v reading wasnt picked & get why arsenal v Liverpool because they need to satisfy the bosses with viewing figures or itv with advertising revenue

but palace v everton or Spurs V burnley i wouldn't watch it in premier league. they are worst issues. but Peterborough v leeds could feel just as aggrieved

When I last looked there were train strikes affecting travel for this match. :(

HH

I thought a lot of Londoners have moved out that way my cousins certainly did, still I suppose Rochester is an improvement on Thamesmead.

Hi, Gillingham fan in peace here. Just to advise any of you travelling down by car on Saturday, that there is a strict residents only parking restrictions on roads near the ground which are rigourously enforced by the Medway Council pitbull enforcement officers. There is off street parking away from the ground but obviously it is a fair walk. You will be put in the Brian Moore stand which is open to the elements and not good. Hope it stays dry. The town itself is a bit of a dump, the away fans pub is the Fleur-de-lis, away fans are not admitted to the nearest pub - The Cricketers. As neither team scores many goals I can see this being a 0-1 or 0-0. Gillingham fans are not a bad lot (unless Millwall are in town) and you shoud not encounter any idiots causing trouble. Here's to an enjoyable match and good luck in staying up.
Can you lot please demonstrate to us how a clear underdog can raise their game to compete with a supposed vastly superior team…We could do with a few pointers right now…Cheers.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

Gillingham seems a more interesting town than I thought. The Historic Dockyard, Fort Armherst, Upnor Castle and Rochester Castle.

I envisioned it being a dump to be honest with nothign there. But seems a decent place to go for a weekend. Royal Engineers Museum too.
You'll get some loyalty points Steggo. Can start building ;)

Hi, Gillingham fan in peace here. Just to advise any of you travelling down by car on Saturday, that there is a strict residents only parking restrictions on roads near the ground which are rigourously enforced by the Medway Council pitbull enforcement officers. There is off street parking away from the ground but obviously it is a fair walk. You will be put in the Brian Moore stand which is open to the elements and not good. Hope it stays dry. The town itself is a bit of a dump, the away fans pub is the Fleur-de-lis, away fans are not admitted to the nearest pub - The Cricketers. As neither team scores many goals I can see this being a 0-1 or 0-0. Gillingham fans are not a bad lot (unless Millwall are in town) and you shoud not encounter any idiots causing trouble. Here's to an enjoyable match and good luck in staying up.
Sounds to me like you live near the ground and don’t want anyone taking your parking spot. I like it!

A fixture that I don't really care much for these days.

Done Gillingham away many a time and always left scratching my head as to why. The journey itself it pants and ground and facilities both inside it and around it are dire.... all in all not really worth expense or journey.

Definitely ranks somewhere at the bottom of away days unfortunately.

A fixture that I don't really care much for these days.

Done Gillingham away many a time and always left scratching my head as to why. The journey itself it pants and ground and facilities both inside it and around it are dire.... all in all not really worth expense or journey.

Definitely ranks somewhere at the bottom of away days unfortunately.
cheers, can't wait now!

Would have thought you capable of making your own decision bud 😂

Did have one teip to gillingham on a lovely summers day in which we were covered in rays and that wasnt the worse trip down.... but chances of that on Saturday are slim arent they?
If it's not pissing it down I'll be very surprised and happy!

Looks like Gillingham have nearly sold all their tickets out!
Wasn't expecting that. Think they smell blood?
utb

Is the pitch waterlogged ? More heavy rain in the area today.
I'm not local to the area but the forecast looks ok after tonight and into the weekend. Hope so as I'm driving down on my own so any early postponement call would be appreciated if it comes to that.
They've completely sold out their tickets so fair play to them.
utb

Around 1983 went there saw Gary Brazil outside the ground bit of chat with him then asked him if Stancliffe is playing Gary said no still injured I said that’s that then. Gary said thanks a lot you ain’t got much confidence then I said without Stan we are done here. Shit hole of a town I asked several people which way to ground not one of them knew.
I was right no Stancliffe got hammered 4-2 it could have been more. Not been back since depressing area no offence to the Gills fan on here

I did. Plymouth away. That German Florist fan has made it to YouTube, but not me - at least, I don't think I have as I've not bothered searching for a while.
I briefly appeared in the Plymouth away episode as you scampered up to your seat well after kick off because the cruel camera team had actually made you hitchhike for real 😁

I briefly appeared in the Plymouth away episode as you scampered up to your seat well after kick off because the cruel camera team had actually made you hitchhike for real 😁

It was an absolute fucking nightmare if I'm honest! The fucker of a director would leap out of the bushes every ten minutes to get my latest opinion, which hadn't changed: "Fuck off and leave me to it!" One of the crew on the journey back on the train the next day said he could see how pissed off I was becoming with it all.

Do you know which routes are affected HH? I'm travelling from Abbey Wood and looks clear from what I can see.

I just had a look at the train from Sheringham again and could not see any disruption. It is a hideous journey all the same approx six hours (each way) with a few delays/waiting and changes.

I think generally there was planned industrial action over the weekend. I think the tube is affected.

I do not have fond memories of Gillingham, and still bare the scars of the 4-0 defeat in August 2015. I think it might just be wet as well (due to the fact that there is no roof on the away end).

I think I am going soft.

HH

Around 1983 went there saw Gary Brazil outside the ground bit of chat with him then asked him if Stancliffe is playing Gary said no still injured I said that’s that then. Gary said thanks a lot you ain’t got much confidence then I said without Stan we are done here. Shit hole of a town I asked several people which way to ground not one of them knew.
I was right no Stancliffe got hammered 4-2 it could have been more. Not been back since depressing area no offence to the Gills fan on here
I was at that game. Got lobbed out for chucking a bog roll in the direction of the pitch as the teams came out.

Back
Top Bottom