Gillingham match on Saturday

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Gillsfan67

Reaction score
Hi, Gillingham fan in peace here. Just to advise any of you travelling down by car on Saturday, that there is a strict residents only parking restrictions on roads near the ground which are rigourously enforced by the Medway Council pitbull enforcement officers. There is off street parking away from the ground but obviously it is a fair walk. You will be put in the Brian Moore stand which is open to the elements and not good. Hope it stays dry. The town itself is a bit of a dump, the away fans pub is the Fleur-de-lis, away fans are not admitted to the nearest pub - The Cricketers. As neither team scores many goals I can see this being a 0-1 or 0-0. Gillingham fans are not a bad lot (unless Millwall are in town) and you shoud not encounter any idiots causing trouble. Here's to an enjoyable match and good luck in staying up.

Hi, Gillingham fan in peace here. Just to advise any of you travelling down by car on Saturday, that there is a strict residents only parking restrictions on roads near the ground which are rigourously enforced by the Medway Council pitbull enforcement officers. There is off street parking away from the ground but obviously it is a fair walk. You will be put in the Brian Moore stand which is open to the elements and not good. Hope it stays dry. The town itself is a bit of a dump, the away fans pub is the Fleur-de-lis, away fans are not admitted to the nearest pub - The Cricketers. As neither team scores many goals I can see this being a 0-1 or 0-0. Gillingham fans are not a bad lot (unless Millwall are in town) and you shoud not encounter any idiots causing trouble. Here's to an enjoyable match and good luck in staying up.
I went last in 2015.a 2-0 defeat on a cold January/February day, it is unforgiving that away end on a cold day! Had a good.pre match look round Rochester which is a lovely town. Are you confident of an upset? Just looked at the Gillingham team, I'm not familiar with any players, who should we look out for?

I went last in 2015.a 2-0 defeat on a cold January/February day, it is unforgiving that away end on a cold day! Had a good.pre match look round Rochester which is a lovely town. Are you confident of an upset? Just looked at the Gillingham team, I'm not familiar with any players, who should we look out for?
We have had a real tough time of things particularly last season when we were heading out of the football league thanks to the shambolic way the club had been run. We have new American owners who have at least put some money in to keep us going but we are very much a work in progress club. We are still looking to relocate to a new stadium but these things take years with Medway Council. On our day we are as good or bad as any side in League 2. No real stars in the playing squad, goals have been hard to come by. On his day Connor Mahoney (on loan from Huddersfield) can be a real handfull so he is the one to watch out for, assuming he plays. Other than that the squad is mainly lower division journey men.

We have had a real tough time of things particularly last season when we were heading out of the football league thanks to the shambolic way the club had been run. We have new American owners who have at least put some money in to keep us going but we are very much a work in progress club. We are still looking to relocate to a new stadium but these things take years with Medway Council. On our day we are as good or bad as any side in League 2. No real stars in the playing squad, goals have been hard to come by. On his day Connor Mahoney (on loan from Huddersfield) can be a real handfull so he is the one to watch out for, assuming he plays. Other than that the squad is mainly lower division journey men.
I noticed last season you went weeks without scoring. I thought Neil Harris was a good manager at Millwall but it didn't seem to work out at Gillingham.

Been a fair few times to Gillingham but always by train .
That away end is shocking , the wooden stand .
You're right about the town centre , it really is not nice .
a fair few of us came very early one year before any pub was open. We knocked on the door of a pub called the black dog if I remember right and the landlord opened up early for us.
Can only see 600/800 blades been there as we've had so many trips to London and Brighton recently

Thanks for the info mate. We'll be down nice and early, get parked up then drink in town centre. TBH couldn't really care less about the result of the game, we ain't winning FA Cup and now our relegation is more or less a done deal I'm only here for the piss up.

Thanks for the heads up Gillsfan67

Hopefully we take it seriously with nothing else to play for realistically

I cannot understand why this wasn't chosen for live broadcast.
Who's really interested in the Juniors of Arsenal v Liverpool?
Horrendous bias shown by the TV stations.
Id you think more people are watching Gillingham v Sheffield United over two title contenders in the fa cup then I think you are probably a little biased

Gillingham fans might not be aware that Chris Wilder invented a new way of playing football when we last played there in September 2016!

So right. Remember Sunday afternoon kick off and it being on TV.

We looked really good that day and of course there was no real looking back from there.

Could we see a new style next Saturday that will help save our season?

Forgot to mention that Gillingham is a totally cashless stadium - everything is card only even a programme, cup of tea/coffee, food etc. Programmes are on sale inside the ground at the catering outlets (£3.50) - actually not a bad read given we are League 2 with very limited finances.

Last went to the Priestfield in about 2005, won 3-1, Morgs got sent off for giving a Gills player an aggressive look. Vaguely remember chanting ‘town full of pound shops’ at the Gills fans, sounds like it hasn’t improved in the intervening 18 years!

Who can forget the optimism prior to our opening match of the season there in 2015.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

Gillingham seems a more interesting town than I thought. The Historic Dockyard, Fort Armherst, Upnor Castle and Rochester Castle.

I envisioned it being a dump to be honest with nothign there. But seems a decent place to go for a weekend. Royal Engineers Museum too.

Last went to the Priestfield in about 2005, won 3-1, Morgs got sent off for giving a Gills player an aggressive look. Vaguely remember chanting ‘town full of pound shops’ at the Gills fans, sounds like it hasn’t improved in the intervening 18 years!

Who can forget the optimism prior to our opening match of the season there in 2015.
Not so much pound shops, more a case of full of charity shops these days!

Congratulations. That means you folks are guaranteed a win.
It happened at home to Barnet in 2019.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

Gillingham seems a more interesting town than I thought. The Historic Dockyard, Fort Armherst, Upnor Castle and Rochester Castle.

I envisioned it being a dump to be honest with nothign there. But seems a decent place to go for a weekend. Royal Engineers Museum too.
The Medway area is steeped in military history - Nelson's flagship was built at Chatham Dockyard. Like most places - there are good and bad parts. Sadly when away fans visit they only tend to see Gillingham High Street and the surrounding roads which to be honest are the pits.

The Medway area is steeped in military history - Nelson's flagship was built at Chatham Dockyard. Like most places - there are good and bad parts. Sadly when away fans visit they only tend to see Gillingham High Street and the surrounding roads which to be honest are the pits.
Rochester has a Dickens museum I gather? If not it needs one.

We complain in the North about being overshadowed by London but there are towns in the south near London where that is even more the case. Gillingham is a reasonably sized town but gets very little publicity. Two of the greatest broadcasters of the 20th century are from there - Brian Moore and David Frost - so it can't be that bad! (And yes I did just look at Wikipedia!). I did like a comment I once read that the Brian Moore stand was like the man himself, its got nothing on top!

Hi Stegosaurus here,

Rochester and Upnor castles are in Rochester!

Spent 18 months down there in the 90’s with the Army (Engineers).Often went to watch the Gills on weekends and frequented top nightclubs Excalibur’s and The Zone, also a pub called Marquis of something or other. Not sure they’ll still be open now? Used to have to wait for an age at a level crossing after the game to walk back into town!

Went there a few times in the Warnock era as I had a mate who lived in Dartford. I always remember there was some beef over us signing Carl Asaba , and Gillingham chairman Paul Scally put in his programme notes something along the lines of "We'll give Iffy Onoura a warm welcome back to the Priestfield as he left in the correct way, unlike SOME people".

Back
Top Bottom