George Baldock

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

A freeze frame always makes these things look worse.

I'm not sure it was even a foul (IMO).
1. he got the ball
2. he didn`t go in over the of of the ball, quite the opposite, his foot was striking the ball from the ground up
3. in his follow through he has caught the player - but is trying to withdraw is leg - he could have left his leg in there and guaranteed wiping the other player out.

Spot on, he's pulling away and up after playing the ball.

Looks worse when paused though and can see the other side of the arguement

While it was completely unintentional, if VAR had been in operation Baldock would have been sent off. No two ways about it.

View attachment 155046
VAR will also look at leading up to that bit. He got the ball first and played it onto the Spurs player. If he doesn't lift his foot having played the ball then he would probably do his own knee ligaments in. Its all about context not just the one screenshot, which fortunately, VAR does look at.

VAR will also look at leading up to that bit. He got the ball first and played it onto the Spurs player. If he doesn't lift his foot having played the ball then he would probably do his own knee ligaments in. Its all about context not just the one screenshot, which fortunately, VAR does look at.
I get that. In my opinion, it would still be viewed as reckless and he would have been sent off for it. I accept that others will have a different opinion, that's the joy of the game.

Back in 2020/21 Lundstram won the ball against Brighton but caught Veltman on the foot and was sent off after a VAR review. Slightly different circumstances but similar outcome.

I get that. In my opinion, it would still be viewed as reckless and he would have been sent off for it. I accept that others will have a different opinion, that's the joy of the game.

Back in 2020/21 Lundstram won the ball against Brighton but caught Veltman on the foot and was sent off after a VAR review. Slightly different circumstances but similar outcome.
I think they admitted afterwards it was wrong. In fact they became a lot more looser after that. I think it will continue more with Howard Webb in charge.

While it was completely unintentional, if VAR had been in operation Baldock would have been sent off. No two ways about it.

View attachment 155046
This still makes it look like Perisic wins the ball and Baldock is tackling with studs up, if this was the case then that's a red.

However he'd won the ball and played it off Perisic, this is the follow through from his initial ball win. Surely even VAR couldn't concoct a case for a red card from that could they?!

That wasn`t a red card either - as evidence by the fact they admitted such afterwards.

I think they admitted afterwards it was wrong. In fact they became a lot more looser after that. I think it will continue more with Howard Webb in charge.
That wasn`t a red card either - as evidence by the fact they admitted such afterwards.
If that's the case why wasn't it overturned? Lundstram was banned for three games as a result of it and I can't find any reference to anyone suggesting it was a mistake. Feel free to correct me on that.
1677845074215.png

This still makes it look like Perisic wins the ball and Baldock is tackling with studs up, if this was the case then that's a red.

However he'd won the ball and played it off Perisic, this is the follow through from his initial ball win. Surely even VAR couldn't concoct a case for a red card from that could they?!
The point isn't about who won the ball, the pass to Baldock was loose, he lunged in to win it but caught Peresic. I see the mitigation but I stand by the fact that there's a solid case that he was reckless which is a bookable offence. If VAR was in operation it would then have gone on to consider whether he used excessive force, put that through the slow-mo replay and you can see why Baldock might have seen red.

I also have a feeling that Baldock may not have made that challenge had VAR been there.

If that's the case why wasn't it overturned? Lundstram was banned for three games as a result of it and I can't find any reference to anyone suggesting it was a mistake. Feel free to correct me on that.
View attachment 155055

The point isn't about who won the ball, the pass to Baldock was loose, he lunged in to win it but caught Peresic. I see the mitigation but I stand by the fact that there's a solid case that he was reckless which is a bookable offence. If VAR was in operation it would then have gone on to consider whether he used excessive force, put that through the slow-mo replay and you can see why Baldock might have seen red.

I also have a feeling that Baldock may not have made that challenge had VAR been there.
I can see it both ways, to me, the action of winning the ball before and momentum SHOULD negate a red card, however this is PL referees and VAR we're talking about so anything goes.

I think that's giving too much credit to players - I'm not sure in the heat of the moment they are thinking too much about VAR - they just play instinctively.

In fact I'd say our winner was evidence to that - the Spurs players seemed scared to challenge Iliman - possibly because they are used to VAR being in place (and any contact=penalty)

View attachment 155055
Because the sending off was correct in the eyes of the Laws as they were applied at the time. VAR later in the season used it as an example of where it has been harsh.

I think that's giving too much credit to players - I'm not sure in the heat of the moment they are thinking too much about VAR - they just play instinctively.

In fact I'd say our winner was evidence to that - the Spurs players seemed scared to challenge Iliman - possibly because they are used to VAR being in place (and any contact=penalty)
You can definitely see the impact of the handball interpretation, Sanchez and Dier were more interested in keeping their hands out of the way than getting a block in.

I think there's a marked difference between PL linesmen and Championship linesmen as a result of VAR, PL liners just let play continue because they know it's getting checked anyway, the Championship ones are now making decisions (albeit very late) as play goes on.

I personally think it will take a bad injury for someone to stop this behaviour, if someone is offside and then goes clean through and gets badly injured by a defender or keeper then the liner not putting his flag up was the cause of this injury. It will happen sooner or later.

I think there's a marked difference between PL linesmen and Championship linesmen as a result of VAR, PL liners just let play continue because they know it's getting checked anyway, the Championship ones are now making decisions (albeit very late) as play goes on.

I personally think it will take a bad injury for someone to stop this behaviour, if someone is offside and then goes clean through and gets badly injured by a defender or keeper then the liner not putting his flag up was the cause of this injury. It will happen sooner or later.
I do agree but look at the first Newcastle game in the Premier. Linesman put the flag up, referee carried on, players stopped. Newcastle scored. VAR showed that he was onside and linesman was wrong. By putting flag up late, players carry on playing.

It never ceases to amaze me he has never been sent off for us.

Has he actually ever been suspended whilst Here?

yes with var that would have been a red but love baldock weve got the best of both worlds with him and bogle baldock better defender bogle better attacker would be very interesting if both played down that right flank

Yeah, and another thing Baldock has got over Bogle is consistency.

I do agree but look at the first Newcastle game in the Premier. Linesman put the flag up, referee carried on, players stopped. Newcastle scored. VAR showed that he was onside and linesman was wrong. By putting flag up late, players carry on playing.
That’s fine, it’s their fault if they keep going and get injured!

He is aiming for the ball, he gets the ball, he is then clearly trying to pull his legs round to the left to avoid hitting the player but has to much momentum to completely avoid contact. And Spurs player is rolling around like a diving cunt

Whilst I agree, it could be argued that ment he was out of control or a wreckless challenge.

Bit random but just thought I'd put George Baldock's summarisation of the lads on here. It's what Furious George is all about.

Starts tomorrow for me, Bogle is great but has faded and having George back is a kick up the backside for bogle
would agree with you there we looked a lot more solid against spurs with baldock there and this game tomorrow is a tough one

Made Perisic cry 🤣
Baldock is so much better defensively. Perisic would have taken advantage of Bogle's lack of concentration on what is behind him. Bogle is better going forward against someone like Swansea at home. Great to have them both.

For now at least, we have four player options at wing back. When RND is fit again we have 5 and the LCB holders under some real pressure too.

All coming good at the right time.

Baldock and Osborn to start at WB against Blackburn. Four man midfield and a lone striker. Options everywhere. :)

View attachment 155008

Did Furious George get lucky here? Not that I think it was a red but had there have been VAR then this would’ve had a second look I think.
Tackle was spot on. Follow-through careless, not wreckless and not with unnecessary force; so no caution required by the laws; referee called it perfectly and didn't require VAR at all.

Additionally, Baldock doesn't have a reputation with referees for being wreckless, which works in his favour. Getting up and being concerned for the opponent always helps too, rather than feigning a mutual injury as some do (which actually makes it look wreckless in the eyes of a referee).

A freeze frame always makes these things look worse.

I'm not sure it was even a foul (IMO).
1. he got the ball
2. he didn`t go in over the of of the ball, quite the opposite, his foot was striking the ball from the ground up
3. in his follow through he has caught the player - but is trying to withdraw is leg - he could have left his leg in there and guaranteed wiping the other player out.
Nowhere in the laws of the game does it say that you're allowed to kick an opponent as long as you kick the ball first.

"I got the ball" so anything else is collateral damage just doesn't cut it.

Back
Top Bottom