Player Suggestion Gary Cahill

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hey, Gary - it's a piece of piss !!

View attachment 117966

Bless him. I actually met his Father-in-law in Ayia Napa a few years ago & we got chatting in a bar. By all accounts Collins loved his time with us & has nothing but good things to say about the club & his time here. I think he mentioned that his form & fan opinion got to him the odd time.

He wasn't one I had a strong dislike for from that era. He wasn't a great player & sometimes his inability to accept accountability wound me up, but - like Doyle, they at least were passionate and not taking the piss out of the club.

Bless him. I actually met his Father-in-law in Ayia Napa a few years ago & we got chatting in a bar. By all accounts Collins loved his time with us & has nothing but good things to say about the club & his time here. I think he mentioned that his form & fan opinion got to him the odd time.

He wasn't one I had a strong dislike for from that era. He wasn't a great player & sometimes his inability to accept accountability wound me up, but - like Doyle, they at least were passionate and not taking the piss out of the club.
I didn't mind him at all. He got a bit of a free pass for coming into a Sheffield Derby at incredibly short notice, and played his part in a win (the 2-1 in 2006?).

I agree with you, with the accountability and shouting at younger players, but then again we don't see the whole story from the stands. Didn't he also take a decent penalty from what I remember?

Fine for where we were, at the time.

I didn't dislike him but when you think of it all going downhill him and Doyle are the names that spring to mind. In fairness it should just be McCabe.

I didn't dislike him but when you think of it all going downhill him and Doyle are the names that spring to mind. In fairness it should just be McCabe.

100%, that pair were synonymous with my worst times following us. But there were so many others I'd put before them; McMahon, K Freeman (at the time), McGahey, Hammond, Baxter, Flynn, Adams, McNulty... There's probably a load of others that passed through, put no effort in and have been forgotten about, but those lot took the piss with their attitudes a lot of the time.

hes a wednesday fan 🐷

Spoke to Gary Cahill a few years ago in Portugal when he was on holiday. Asked him who he supported, and he said to be honest neither. He said he wasn't really into watching football when he was a kid, and he'd once said he supported the pigs when asked as it was just something to say. Was a top bloke to be fair. Knew a lot about United at the time (when Wilson was there), and was complimentary towards us. Only thing that pissed me off was that he said it looked like he was going to Arsenal (he was at Bolton at the time), so put a few quid on it, and he then signed for Chelsea 🤬 If you're reading this Gary, you owe me 30 quid 😂

I remember watching Gary Cahill when we had him on loan all those years ago. I just remember thinking it was like watching a man from the future. He was so damn good at everything and clearly a Premier League player even then.

Decent back up to Egan I think (possibly some competition) so not the end of the world if we get him and I'm sure a reasonable contract and being close to family/friends for a season or two would have its appeal.

I remember watching Gary Cahill when we had him on loan all those years ago. I just remember thinking it was like watching a man from the future. He was so damn good at everything and clearly a Premier League player even then.

Decent back up to Egan I think (possibly some competition) so not the end of the world if we get him and I'm sure a reasonable contract and being close to family/friends for a season or two would have its appeal.
It was one of those times when you realise you’ve got someone far too good for you.

Needless to say, it didn’t last long.

It was weird that Villa loaned him to us in the first place, he was clearly class.
Then they sold him for peanuts to Bolton & he was instantly their best player.

It was one of those times when you realise you’ve got someone far too good for you.

Needless to say, it didn’t last long.
yes he was just like gordon cowens when we signed him class acts cant see any way we could afford him but if a deal could be reached would be a great short term signing but still think we would need ben davies as well

Based on wageindicator.co.uk he’s on £65k per week so would he take a significant wage drop? I’m not sure

Based on wageindicator.co.uk he’s on £65k per week so would he take a significant wage drop? I’m not sure
But as he's now been released by Palace his wage will be now down to zilch. Depends who are keen and what they are prepared to offer him. At his age he can't be expecting to earn top dollar any more.

He's 35. End of conversation.
Why are we so obsessed with age in this country when it comes to football? Plenty of players still going strong that are 35 and above. Chellini was the best CB at the Euro's and he's 36! Sad thing is, if Chellini was English, he would been written off as an international years ago.

Why are we so obsessed with age in this country when it comes to football? Plenty of players still going strong that are 35 and above. Chellini was the best CB at the Euro's and he's 36! Sad thing is, if Chellini was English, he would been written off as an international years ago.
Because we already have defenders who aren't blessed with pace, and adding another older person to that mix isn't going to improve things. We missed JOC's bombing runs forward last year. I'm not saying we need that, if we have a different playing style, but I wouldn't be comfortable with a person that age in our squad. We're not in Serie A, we're in the Championship.

Additionally, we're at a transitional stage where we need to do well but also build for the future. We don't have to go as old as Cahill.

The late Bobby Moore once said that if he had to make a tackle he’d got his positioning wrong that’s what you get from a high class but older player and we’ve had quite a few, Cowans,McCall and even Jags at 38 got mom against Man Utd.

This isn’t happening guys. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I know it's been a while, but completely agree with this.
Especially for clubs in our position, going year-to-year, trying to get promoted.
Short-term, experienced signings, in the right areas can be exactly what you need. I'm thinking back to Craig Short and Neil Shipperley.
Well past their sell by dates but incredibly useful.

100%, that pair were synonymous with my worst times following us. But there were so many others I'd put before them; McMahon, K Freeman (at the time), McGahey, Hammond, Baxter, Flynn, Adams, McNulty... There's probably a load of others that passed through, put no effort in and have been forgotten about, but those lot took the piss with their attitudes a lot of the time.
Flynn ?

Back
Top Bottom