Player Suggestion Gary Cahill

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Gary Cahill has been released by Palace I’m aware that he’s 35 and has played for us before yonks ago but would he fill a nice space in our defence? Wages dependant

I'd have no issue with it if the wages were sensible. He'd basically be a Jags replacement.

We just need bodies in at this moment in time.

It's a yes from me, if he was a supplement to our other signings, and his wages didn't break the bank. His experience would be an asset.

Might aswell have kept jags if we would consider doing something this stupid
Cahill is a great defender and comparable to Jags in that respect, however, Jags is 3 years his senior and was turning out for us at 37 in the best league in the world.

Cahill would be 35 and in the Championship, he'd be an extremely capable defender in that league, i can see him going to one of the promoted clubs, not a Championship one

Last edited:
He will be far too expensive for Utd to consider even if he agreed to move to a Champ club. He was on well over £100k/week at Palace and I'm sure he'll be looking for more than Utd would be prepared to pay. Pity as I think he'd be fantastic in a 2 with Egan

Gary Cahill has been released by Palace I’m aware that he’s 35 and has played for us before yonks ago but would he fill a nice space in our defence? Wages dependant
Haha love it when people call him and ex-Blade. 16 games 14 years ago.

Good point though, could be an asset I reckon. Although I think he will only play for the other lot now given he supports them.

Played 20 games in the prem last season and 25 the year before. Big difference between him & jags in that sense

He'd play in Egan's position so unless we're selling Egan, there really is no point. We certainly can't afford the wages and he's hardly a player for the future.

So, errr, no.

Good point though, could be an asset I reckon. Although I think he will only play for the other lot now given he supports them.
Pork Talk are spaffing themselves over him going to them as Assistant Manager/Player. No chance!

hes a wednesday fan 🐷

I would take him, if finances allowed. Pity about his Shitday leanings though.

i think he would be an excellent short term signing but theres no way we can afford his salary as somebody has suggested possibly one of the promoted teams may take him

I know everyone jumps on the wAgeS thing. How long can Gary Cahill (and other mid-30's players) realistically command 100 bags a week?

Wouldn't be too against it if the wages and contract length was sensible.

If we go 4 at the back, he's a better option than either of Basham or Robinson next to Egan

If we play a 2 then yes he's better than Robinson, if we play 3 then there's no point. Cahill is leaving Palace for regular football and I'd rather have Egan.

He’ll sign for a London club though, all his family is set up down there (despite being from Dronfield)

I know everyone jumps on the wAgeS thing. How long can Gary Cahill (and other mid-30's players) realistically command 100 bags a week?

He will still hold out for the highest offer. Maybe not get 100k again but he still could earn 40-60k somewhere else.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he was off to Inter Miami for a big fat final paycheck

That'd be the one for me.
Slog out a 50-55 game season, possibly on the bench for large swathes, or kick back in Miami on the gravy train seeing your final days out in the Sunshine. No brainer for a couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom