Garner v Fans

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

In managerial positions in many industries there is a code of behaviour towards customers, some of whom you would gladly throttle. A football manager should remain on an even keel to do his job properly and he should also respect a fan and his right to an opinion. If the behaviour of a fan is so bad then he doesn't warrant attention or acknowledgement, he will be sorted by a combination of neighbouring fans and stewards if need be.

In the past I have criticised the behaviour of Clough and in particular Garner for bawling out players rather than encouraging them and also wasting time and concentration over trivial decisions by the officials. I hold up Dave Bassett as the ultimate professional on match days, sat in the stands, not even celebrating goals but thinking through his next tactics and approach.

As for Morgan - sycophancy? - far from it. Only last week I commented on his crude and inadequate coaching of the U-21 side v Barnsley. I think he was a wholehearted player and a passionate leader on the pitch, not necessarily a good one in a series of poor sides. When I listen to him in interview I hear nothing to suggest he is a good coach or inspirational leader. What I do know though is that he would not do what Garner did last Saturday.

Posted this after the Notts County game, our seats were much further forward than the norm and the attitude of the non playing squad members worried me that night.

In relation to the players being scared, our seats for the County game were quite close to the dug out and saw Garner trip over a pack of water bottles sat in the technical area. Anyone else see this?
He then turned and kicked the cool box; then what stuck out for me was the reaction of non playing players who shot out of the stand to move both the water and cool box out of the way as if "we can't have him such a mood".

Seems to me that they rule by fear? It was all so unnessary.
GRUMPY BLADE,Dec 5, 2014

Posted this after the Notts County game, our seats were much further forward than the norm and the attitude of the non playing squad members worried me that night.

In relation to the players being scared, our seats for the County game were quite close to the dug out and saw Garner trip over a pack of water bottles sat in the technical area. Anyone else see this?
He then turned and kicked the cool box; then what stuck out for me was the reaction of non playing players who shot out of the stand to move both the water and cool box out of the way as if "we can't have him such a mood".

GRUMPY BLADE,Dec 5, 2014

As I also posted on here at the time, I sat right behind them at Fleetwood. Not a pretty sight, all so intimidating for the young players on the bench.

However, I have noticed that Clough is regaining his composure since the new signings came in and results have improved. Saturday was a sign of the pressure they are all under, but again it's how you handle it that matters.

I read the "lack of applause" for Freeman as more of a flummoxed silence. If there was crowd-wide upset, I'd have thought there would've been booing.

Let's be right, at away games the mood of our support varies dependant on the result and the performance. There is no group more negative than inebriated away fans watching their team not putting in the effort and losing. The fans have spent any amount of money and feel sorely let down and let the manager and team know it in no uncertain terms. Less so under Clough I must say, but at times under Wilson and Adams it was embarrassing being a Blade.
The fans weren't very positive away at Crewe last season :)

You heard about the curry in Wakefield we had on Friday night then.

According to the website, Mrs R chose a good time to be away....

49. Gabbar Succulent pieces of chicken or tender lamb cubes marinated in aphrodisiac spices, garlic, spring onions, methi, shallots, fresh green chillies and crispy red peppers will activate sensuality and inhibit clear and higher thinking. Very hot, only for the brave.

Agree 100% with this. There are odd exceptions - some will always moan, others will never moan, but the result and performance drive the reaction of the majority of fans. Gillingham is a good example - there was a lot of disquiet in the away end about that performance, and rightly so.
I was fuming at our fans at the end of Gillingham. Obviously we were all gutted, but so were the players, they knew they played badly, so to abuse them when they come to clap really pissed me off.

According to the website, Mrs R chose a good time to be away....

49. Gabbar Succulent pieces of chicken or tender lamb cubes marinated in aphrodisiac spices, garlic, spring onions, methi, shallots, fresh green chillies and crispy red peppers will activate sensuality and inhibit clear and higher thinking. Very hot, only for the brave.

First time ever in the history of the world I have seen a curry to get you in the mood!

GRUMPY BLADE,Dec 5, 2014
I sit close the home dugout for home games (it wasn't me!) and the sight of Andy Garner kicking a water bottle, or pack of water is not an unusual one. To be honest I don't see it as an angry man, just someone who is frustrated for x/y/z reason - we all have those moments! The water is then usually moved by one of the physios - who probably shouldn't have left it by the edge of the technical area anyway!

I would love to know where the genius Clough was at quite a few of a games this season, such as Barnsley as one example. Was this the same guy who put out Coutts, Baxter and Doyle in the same midfield which lacked any energy until Basham moved there i the 2nd half (he still isn't a midfielder). This isn't a pop at the 3 players before a few of you have a fit, just a comment to say it doesn't take a genius to work out it wasn't going to be that successful.

In the last three games, his subs have got better, however if you think we shouldn't be allowed to question his team selection and substitutions then I think that's wrong. Up to the last few games, I think Clough's own performance in our league games have been poor. Saying that the midfield 3 on Saturday should never have been picked

I sit close the home dugout for home games (it wasn't me!) and the sight of Andy Garner kicking a water bottle, or pack of water is not an unusual one. To be honest I don't see it as an angry man, just someone who is frustrated for x/y/z reason - we all have those moments! The water is then usually moved by one of the physios - who probably shouldn't have left it by the edge of the technical area anyway!

I sit further back in the southstand. Not sure I have ever seen him do anything apart from look angry. He probably points 2 or 3 times a game. Maybe he should consider showing the same enthusiasm he did for the equaliser when sending the players out onto the pitch.

What a load of codswallop on here. If Garner is so bad and angry all the time, why do people keep following Nigel from job to job? Garner goes with Nigel.

Are the players flies that keep returning to the same pile of crap? Of course not.

Ask Kennedy, Basham, Brayford, Davis, Freeman and Coutts if they are happy with the management.

Back
Top Bottom