Garner v Fans

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I expected it to happen aand therefore wasn't as annoyed as most around me. He used Freeman similarly for a few mins at County... He was always going to be an improvement on a lethargic and injured Coutts.
Lethargic Coutts? Saw it differently...
Whole team was lethargic for a long period, from the start

As I have to be selective about matches I attend due to work commitments, this sums up why I prefer a long journey to an away match than a trip to the Lane and attend matches accordingly when able.

I'm not saying everyone at home matches moans, and everyone is super positive away from home, but there is a big difference a lot of the time.

Lots moan at home, virtually none moan away.
Off to Rochdale on Tuesday and away matches are MUCH better than home matches.
Actually look forward more to away games than at home - and the honest opinion - true, died in the wool Blades go to away games and this has nothing to do with BIG bladiness. It is just the way it seems.

UTB

Actually look forward more to away games than at home - and the honest opinion - true, died in the wool Blades go to away games and this has nothing to do with BIG bladiness. It is just the way it seems.

UTB

I am prepared to accept that the vast majority of those who go to away games are "true, dyed-in-the-wool Blades."

But your post reads as if to say that if you don't go to away games you're not a TDITWB.

I can't have that.

Well ... sorry mate but I must have watched a different game.
Coutts in our midfield offers loads more than Scougal who has been getting a shirt all season doing "nothing".
I think he will do well for us going forwards .....
UTB & FTP

Think that sums up each players position within the squad.

Coutts is for now, Scoogs was always for the future.

I am prepared to accept that the vast majority of those who go to away games are "true, dyed-in-the-wool Blades."

But your post reads as if to say that if you don't go to away games you're not a TDITWB.

I can't have that.

I said that's how it seems - you are more than welcome to have yours, and you may want to comment if you do indeed go to away games- I have mine - and I repeat it has nothing what so ever to do with big bladiness - there seems to be very very few stupid morons go to away games as expressed today in a number of posts as to what we get at home games.

Having sat all over our ground there are some real stupid idiots who spout useless crap ALL game - this rarely seems to happen on away grounds.

As I said, just an opinion and I hope I have clarified your misunderstanding on my original post.

UTB

Lethargic Coutts? Saw it differently...
Whole team was lethargic for a long period, from the start

I like Coutts, but he was blowing big time very early doors and there were multiple times I clocked him standing and watching where he'd normally be making space or chasing down a man, as he's previously displayed. Hence my description of lethargic.

UTB

Been that way for years Wooders. Can't put my finger on why but you rarely get the booing and utter ridiculous drivel you seem to get at home. Maybe one of the reasons we have been so nervous at home is one stray pass and the teddies go out the pram.

Been that way for years Wooders. Can't put my finger on why but you rarely get the booing and utter ridiculous drivel you seem to get at home. Maybe one of the reasons we have been so nervous at home is one stray pass and the teddies go out the pram.

I can't put my finger on it either - there is just a different type of "bond" at away games. Perhaps it's a case of " people don't like us, but we don't care" syndrome.

Rochdale here we come - oh for a Done hat trick? That will surely piss off the red rose brethren. Hope they don't run out of meat pies like they did last time.

UTB

I can't put my finger on it either - there is just a different type of "bond" at away games. Perhaps it's a case of " people don't like us, but we don't care" syndrome.

Rochdale here we come - oh for a Done hat trick? That will surely piss off the red rose brethren. Hope they don't run out of meat pies like they did last time.

UTB

Never mind the meat pies, the chippy opposite the away fans entrance is worth the train fare on its own (but keep that quiet because I queued for thirty minutes last time!).

Maybe one of the reasons we have been so nervous at home is one stray pass and the teddies go out the pram.

Been saying this for a while. Players fear trying anything difficult that may create a goal for fear it goes wrong and they get a barrage of abuse.

Another issue is that the fans at home moan when we don't immediately go forward (waiting for an opening) which causes the players to force it, meaning they give it away so the fans moan again.

Never mind the meat pies, the chippy opposite the away fans entrance is worth the train fare on its own (but keep that quiet because I queued for thirty minutes last time!).

True - we saw the queue last time and thought better of it.
I actually wrote an email to the Rochdale secretary last time complaining about running out of meat pies and how much money they had lost out on - I mean, 4K Blades fans all coming straight from work and being hungry hounds - it just defied logic.

Is it better than the one at Crewe?

UTB

UTB

Is there a clause in his transfer saying he cannot play ?. Hope not.

UTB

True - we saw the queue last time and thought better of it.
I actually wrote an email to the Rochdale secretary last time complaining about running out of meat pies and how much money they had lost out on - I mean, 4K Blades fans all coming straight from work and being hungry hounds - it just defied logic.

Is it better than the one at Crewe?

UTB

The Crewe one has potential - apparently produce a lot of their own fish, but tend to sell them off before they've fully matured.

Is there a clause in his transfer saying he cannot play ?. Hope not.

UTB

not 100% sure but seeing as we paid hard currency, i am sure he can play. There is some doubt about his wrist, so not sure how it will all pan out.
If Coutts does have a groin strain then he must surely be doubtful too.
No Baxter........Oh dear.......we are falling apart at the seams.

UTB

not 100% sure but seeing as we paid hard currency, i am sure he can play. There is some doubt about his wrist, so not sure how it will all pan out.
If Coutts does have a groin strain then he must surely be doubtful too.
No Baxter........Oh dear.......we are falling apart at the seams.

UTB

In comes that young italian named chap .:D , if Done is injured.

UTB

Isn't it against the rules for a clause to be put in a contract about not playing or is that just a loan???

Thinking about fatty Samuels and Kabba but can't recall.

Back to the OP.

Garner's behaviour was immature. I saw it on the day and did not know what had been going on. My own reaction was to show him two fingers, which I did because his actions were so prolonged,manic and disrespectful to an area of the stand full of season ticket holders who help pay his wages. Implicit in his gestures was that we do not support the team well enough. ( BTW I sit welll up, beyond the Directors' Box, it wasn't me!!)

As it turns out it seems to have been directed at one person over a substitution and how petty is that? Immature and petty, just like a lot of the man's grumbling, throwing arms in the air and general hangdog countenance on the touchline.

Back to the OP.

Garner's behaviour was immature. I saw it on the day and did not know what had been going on. My own reaction was to show him two fingers, which I did because his actions were so prolonged,manic and disrespectful to an area of the stand full of season ticket holders who help pay his wages. Implicit in his gestures was that we do not support the team well enough. ( BTW I sit welll up, beyond the Directors' Box, it wasn't me!!)

As it turns out it seems to have been directed at one person over a substitution and how petty is that? Immature and petty, just like a lot of the man's grumbling, throwing arms in the air and general hangdog countenance on the touchline.

You found AG's reaction so petty and immature that you....showed him two fingers....?

Mmmmm.

As I understand it the person (idiot) to whom you refer was sitting in the Directors Box from where he made such an exhibition of himself that the level headed Jim Phipps and Mal Branigan had to 'ask him to leave'.

I have had the misfortune to sit in that area from time to time. There are a significant number of NBWs there who think that sitting near the management and directors enhances their single-cell wisdom and gives them license to abuse anyone and everyone at close quarters. I suspect that's why they sit there. Positive support is zero. I agree with Garner 100%. NC knows what he is doing, as was demonstrated. These numpties haven't a clue.

Would you have raised two fingers to Bladey Blade "Morgs"?

Anyone who says Away Blades don't moan as much wasn't sat near me at Notts County. There were two separate groups round us who moaned constantly for 90 minutes.

Even Micalijo thought they were overly negative. :eek:
A lot of home only fans go to places like Notts it's on the doorstep wouldn't be a true reflection on the usual away following.

You found AG's reaction so petty and immature that you....showed him two fingers....?

Mmmmm.

As I understand it the person (idiot) to whom you refer was sitting in the Directors Box from where he made such an exhibition of himself that the level headed Jim Phipps and Mal Branigan had to 'ask him to leave'.

I have had the misfortune to sit in that area from time to time. There are a significant number of NBWs there who think that sitting near the management and directors enhances their single-cell wisdom and gives them license to abuse anyone and everyone at close quarters. I suspect that's why they sit there. Positive support is zero. I agree with Garner 100%. NC knows what he is doing, as was demonstrated. These numpties haven't a clue.

Would you have raised two fingers to Bladey Blade "Morgs"?

As one who wrote on here in Wilson's time that he ought to be more demonstrative and interact with the crowd, I fully appreciate the role the management can have in encouraging us supporters.

Did you see Garner at the time? What he was doing was quite menacing and I've seen him do something similar before. When opposition managers have "tiffs" with our fans I think it's immature and pathetic. When our own man does it I think it's out of order. Bear in mind only a handful of people knew what had gone on.

If Morgan should do it then yes, I would do the same, but he wouldn't do it in a month of Sundays.

A lot of home only fans go to places like Notts it's on the doorstep wouldn't be a true reflection on the usual away following.

Let's be right, at away games the mood of our support varies dependant on the result and the performance. There is no group more negative than inebriated away fans watching their team not putting in the effort and losing. The fans have spent any amount of money and feel sorely let down and let the manager and team know it in no uncertain terms. Less so under Clough I must say, but at times under Wilson and Adams it was embarrassing being a Blade.

Anyone who says Away Blades don't moan as much wasn't sat near me at Notts County. There were two separate groups round us who moaned constantly for 90 minutes.

Even Micalijo thought they were overly negative. :eek:
#

Luck of the draw I guess, where I was stood it was a great atmosphere. Am all for constructive criticism, but constant harking on in ignorance does my head in. I know enough about football to know there is a lot of subjectivity, but when it's plain wrong moaning... Grrrr.

Let's be right, at away games the mood of our support varies dependant on the result and the performance. There is no group more negative than inebriated away fans watching their team not putting in the effort and losing. The fans have spent any amount of money and feel sorely let down and let the manager and team know it in no uncertain terms. Less so under Clough I must say, but at times under Wilson and Adams it was embarrassing being a Blade.

I'm afraid I find the South Stand antics embarrassing. Is it OK to abuse the manager at close quarters when he's doing his job? If so, why bleat when Andy Garner rightly stands up for Nigel Clough?

Did you see the idiot who was rightly asked to leave?

Sycophancy towards Bladey Morgs inevitable and noted.

I think one of they keys to a less negative support away from home is most are too preoccupied making a racket with a good sing. All said and done, I'd be lying (and I bet every single one of us would be) if we claimed to have turned up to a match home or away and not had a moan once or twice. I think it's just that sometimes you get those who appear to have only turned up to be negative, perhaps down to an inability to rationalise thought-something very common to suffer from after alcohol!

As for Garner, his point is valid, the execution not so. I'd have lost my job a long time ago if I reacted to someone who thinks they know better than me, but you just have to suck it up and get on with it. Must be difficult in that environment because it's not like a normal work place.

I'm afraid I find the South Stand antics embarrassing. Is it OK to abuse the manager at close quarters when he's doing his job? If so, why bleat when Andy Garner rightly stands up for Nigel Clough?

Did you see the idiot who was rightly asked to leave?

Sycophancy towards Bladey Morgs inevitable and noted.

In managerial positions in many industries there is a code of behaviour towards customers, some of whom you would gladly throttle. A football manager should remain on an even keel to do his job properly and he should also respect a fan and his right to an opinion. If the behaviour of a fan is so bad then he doesn't warrant attention or acknowledgement, he will be sorted by a combination of neighbouring fans and stewards if need be.

In the past I have criticised the behaviour of Clough and in particular Garner for bawling out players rather than encouraging them and also wasting time and concentration over trivial decisions by the officials. I hold up Dave Bassett as the ultimate professional on match days, sat in the stands, not even celebrating goals but thinking through his next tactics and approach.

As for Morgan - sycophancy? - far from it. Only last week I commented on his crude and inadequate coaching of the U-21 side v Barnsley. I think he was a wholehearted player and a passionate leader on the pitch, not necessarily a good one in a series of poor sides. When I listen to him in interview I hear nothing to suggest he is a good coach or inspirational leader. What I do know though is that he would not do what Garner did last Saturday.

Agree 100% with this. There are odd exceptions - some will always moan, others will never moan, but the result and performance drive the reaction of the majority of fans. Gillingham is a good example - there was a lot of disquiet in the away end about that performance, and rightly so.

Back
Top Bottom