Gaffers view.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Everybody seems an expert on substitutions.

I can't recall many on here praising Wilder for his subs when he brought Lundstram and Mousse on against Bournemouth.

I suppose that gets filed under 'that's what he's paid to do'.

Wilder would do well to consider quite why some (not all) commentators consider us to be a wee bit more direct than he would readily admit too.

And I would like him to consider just how effective we are when we do go more direct.

UTB

Wider’s damn right and what’s more he’s right. People wandering off on 38 mins while we are on the attack cos that food/drink is so vital. People sloping off in the last 10 minutes and no there are very few good reasons to do that. Twats the lot of ‘em.
Totally agree with you well said.

Graham Potter, manager extraordinaire!
This.
Wasn’t at the game but watched SSN build up.

Interviews with both managers before the game.

Chris was his usual bullish self showing great respect for the opposition “No easy games, established Premier League club, etc.”

Pansy Potter was asked about his team selection and justified going three giants at the back with “We know how they play and their very good at what they do.”
The tone was key. Very much damning us with faint praise.

It wound me up and I’m pretty sure if Chris heard it at the time he would have regarded it as disrespectful.
Chris’s post match interview struck me as mostly about lack of respect for the team’s performances this year. His reference to the early leavers was almost in passing, not the main target at all.

When it gets to the point that Norwood has to put the ball back on the corner spot because the wind's blown it away then you know the conditions on the pitch are hard. And you had another team coming to the Lane happy to go home with a point. In spite of that, we knocked the ball around well, had the bulk of the possession, scored a cracking goal, and worked tirelessly. Felt like the conditions just didn't allow us to move the ball round quick enough to break them down.

Good performance for me. Not great, not the result we wanted, but good. And coupled with hitting that 40pt target with ELEVEN games to spare, I think Wilder's got a point in saying that there should be a few more fans wanting to watch that match play out rather than beat the traffic. It's an unbelievable achievement for us and I think we should spend some time to celebrate that rather than forget it with all the talk about Europe.

Because we're fans. As a manager he has to say things like the above to motivate and inspire better performances. That's not really our job. We should be getting behind them when they need it and appreciating them when they deserve it.
Perhaps he could save it for the dressing room.😕

When the team's not doing too well it's the players, manager, board who get turned on.

When the team are doing well it's the fans who get the grief from some. Not loud enough, don't stay until the end, don't sell out quick enough, too many johnny come latelys etc etc.

It's the Blades Way.

This.
Wasn’t at the game but watched SSN build up.

Interviews with both managers before the game.

Chris was his usual bullish self showing great respect for the opposition “No easy games, established Premier League club, etc.”

Pansy Potter was asked about his team selection and justified going three giants at the back with “We know how they play and their very good at what they do.”
The tone was key. Very much damning us with faint praise.

It wound me up and I’m pretty sure if Chris heard it at the time he would have regarded it as disrespectful.
Chris’s post match interview struck me as mostly about lack of respect for the team’s performances this year. His reference to the early leavers was almost in passing, not the main target at all.
He said the same when we beat them ,the inference being we are a Warnock basset type team compared to.his tika taka conniseurs of total football
Well fuck him and his confessions of a window cleaner persona

Yeah listen to the MOTD post interview snippet and it seems his main beef is against the "Pundits, Managers, Commentators, players that had written us off at the beginning of the season" "Fed up of these having a pop" "Played outstanding posession football" then after Wrighty said he cant be talking about him as he loved the way the blades playing this season, Keown then held his hands up and admitted he was one of them he was probably talking about and accepted he was wrong.

There must have been some media comment or something he read recently about us being a long ball team and the way we play and not right for us to be where we are. Now I am just guessing but they went to Dubai wouldnt be surprised when he had some downtime if he was sat on a Sun Lounger with an alcoholic beverage going back through some of the media and comments about us over the current season so far as a sort of catchup and this got his back up.

So we should stand and applaud anyone, regardless of how bad they may have played, so long as they’ve ran about a lot (I’m not saying we played badly today)

When discussing the ‘not applauding effort’ thing Wilder has said that it’s a given and that ‘the punters’ deserve more.

Today Wilder described the performance as ‘outstanding’. It wasn’t. How does that fit in with the idea that he says what he does to try and inspire better performances.
Against Leicester, we put in a lot of effort, but played poorly and lost.
Against Brighton, we put in a lot of effort, played well and drew.
Not hard mate. It is possible to play really well and lose, like we did against Villa when Snodgrass scored a late winner.

Watching manure , 3 minutes left to go 3-0 up at home Half empty stadium , don`t go to Manure Chris you wont like it !

Against Leicester, we put in a lot of effort, but played poorly and lost.
Against Brighton, we put in a lot of effort, played well and drew.
Not hard mate. It is possible to play really well and lose, like we did against Villa when Snodgrass scored a late winner.

All of that may be true but I’m not sure what relevance it has to the post of mine that you’re replying to

To be honest I normally stay and clap, but occasionally I walk off in disgust after the match. It’s not always because of the players performance though, like today I was pissed off because the ref only added 3 minutes injury time. I’m just a sore loser I think.
Second this, already mentioned it in another thread, felt like we were cut short at least 3 more.

All of that may be true but I’m not sure what relevance it has to the post of mine that you’re replying to
'How does that fit in with the idea that he says what he does to try and inspire better performances.'

We played well, so he is praising the team to inspire them to keep playing well.

'How does that fit in with the idea that he says what he does to try and inspire better performances.'

We played well, so he is praising the team to inspire them to keep playing well.

He said we were outstanding, that wasn’t the case.

Maybe something else has upset him but I think he is out of order moaning at the fans we are selling out home and away, it looked to me when he changed his mind about bringing Moose on that it was HIM settling for a point, one of the strangest decisions I have seen him make. How is Didzy a better option when he hasn't scored all season and hasn't kicked a ball in anger for weeks?
what was missIng was someone to unlock their defence with a bit of magic..Didsy can do that and created a chance witha drop of the shoulder and a lovely ball in from which we nearly scored....he may not have scored yet but the team creates more when he is on the pitch....wouldn’t have minded Moose coming on either tbf

He said we were outstanding, that wasn’t the case.
Yes, he slightly exaggerated to inspire and motivate our players and fans. We were good and the players and fans should be positive, his comments were to weigh out the disappointment of dropping points.

He may well have been wound up but slagging fans off who have lauded him and his teams every step of the way from where we were to where we are is, for me, totally unacceptable. He needs to be careful, that game is a two way street and when times get tough........

Damn right, it fooks me off too. Some people are more interested in getting yet another fucking (mediocre) pint, or a pie, than watching the game and getting behind the team. You can buy as many pints you want after the game has finished. Go to Asda, buy a fucking box of 24 Fray Bentos Beef and Onion if you want. What is it about the 90+ minutes we're at the Lane, probably less than once a fortnight these days, that possesses people to queue while the game is ongoing ?? it beats me.......

It's the queues. That's why people do it. If they could get served quick and be assured that the 15 minute break would be enough time to get a drink (or a pie), have a good chat with mates about the first half, have a piss, and get back to their seat in time for the second half starting, then the majority, I think, wouldn't be getting out of their seats 10 minutes early and disrupting things for everyone else. Or coming back 10 minutes late.

The card-less transactions seem to improve things a bit at first, but it's not even just about the serving of food and drinks, it's also about the toilets. There just aren't enough of them and the ladies have it far worse than us blokes! The queues outside the ladies toilets at half-time (or even before kick off) are massive.

United could learn a thing or two from lowly lickle Chesterfield FC. I've been to the Pro Act a number of times to watch Chesterfield when the Blades aren't playing. When you go through the turnstiles you've got a very spacious area, with the refreshments bar at one end, but also, you've got a bloke with a trolley selling cask ale, in a part of the concourse. So, if it's just a pint you're after, you don't have to go and queue at the refreshments area 10 deep. You can just go get your pint from the mobile trolley. There's loads of standing space, TV's on the walls, and the toilet areas are far bigger than those we have in the South Stand at the Lane.

Of course, it would be unfair to compare something built so recently as the Pro Act to the much older stands at Bramall Lane. And I think if we do re-build part of the ground we would hopefully give a bit more thought to the fact that this isn't just a man's sport anymore. Women and children are attending in significant numbers and we need the facilities to cater for them as well. But regardless of that, United could, right now, have a few folks selling beer and pies at individual mobile stations along the concourse - that would cut down the queues at half-time - and might (just might) persuade some folks to "siddarn" until half-time?

We created at least three clear cut chances, besides the goal.

Regarding the debate about Wilder’s comments: we lost the game to Leicester. I think at that point in the season Wilder was keen that the players and supporters not adopt a “plucky losers” mentality so he underlined that then. Going by his comments before and after today’s match, he’s worried our supporters are adopting a bit of a entitled mentality and might not give the support they deserve in the final stretch of the season.

Judging by some of the reactions on here tonight, I think he’s right about that.

Nailed it imo

Nailed it imo

Hang on, the deal here, as with any entertainment outlet is that ‘we pay, you play’. It isn’t for supporters to support in a way dictated by anyone else other than the way they choose to having spent their hard earned cash. If supporters are adopting an ‘entitled mentality’ (which I really doubt) then that entirely is up to them. As far as Chris and the club are concerned, I would prefer to think that they are eternally grateful for the absolute brilliant support they have received over a decade of previous chronic underachievement. A simple ‘thank you’ is really all I want to hear or nothing at all - not some rather bizarre ticking off from Chris! Think this is a bit of a storm in a tea cup but if there was a VAR system in place for misguided comments I think Chris may find his big toe has indeed crossed the line on this one.

Well, that’s Wilder’s point, isn’t it? An established Premier League team with a wage bill much bigger than our own has come and parked the bus against us. We haven’t cut them apart—of course we haven’t and we were never going to. We’ve dominated the game, had the chances to win it and our fans are cross about not beating a “poor team.

As Wilder has said himself, he's here to win football games and so are the fans, we lost ground Saturday Christopher.

Remember that Chris next time eh?

Hang on, the deal here, as with any entertainment outlet is that ‘we pay, you play’. It isn’t for supporters to support in a way dictated by anyone else other than the way they choose to having spent their hard earned cash. If supporters are adopting an ‘entitled mentality’ (which I really doubt) then that entirely is up to them. As far as Chris and the club are concerned, I would prefer to think that they are eternally grateful for the absolute brilliant support they have received over a decade of previous chronic underachievement. A simple ‘thank you’ is really all I want to hear or nothing at all - not some rather bizarre ticking off from Chris! Think this is a bit of a storm in a tea cup but if there was a VAR system in place for misguided comments I think Chris may find his big toe has indeed crossed the line on this one.

My comment was aimed at the point about Wilder initially not wanting players and fans having a defeatist attitude and just being happy to be here and be plucky losers.

He was clearly annoyed leaving the pitch on Saturday and gesticulated to Knill about the stands.

He probably now doesn't want a mentality where fans get too ahead and think we have a right to win these games, and therefore act like the players have performed disappointingly just because we haven't beaten a team below us.

There are too many people who are all or nothing at times.

Saturday wasnt a match for fans to be pissed off with the performance.

My comment was aimed at the point about Wilder initially not wanting players and fans having a defeatist attitude and just being happy to be here and be plucky losers.

He was clearly annoyed leaving the pitch on Saturday and gesticulated to Knill about the stands.

He probably now doesn't want a mentality where fans get too ahead and think we have a right to win these games, and therefore act like the players have performed disappointingly just because we haven't beaten a team below us.

Well we’re always telling the pigs that you get the club you deserve.

Blimey! I’m going to need a flip chart to work it all out! So we can’t have a defeatist attitude and yet we must not be plucky losers. However, if we adopt a winning attitude and expect a win and then show disappointment when we don’t get one that’s also a reason to get ticked off by Chris. Too bloody complicated for me - thought I just paid my money and went along for the entertainment!

I think Chris was just a bit arsey about not beating a clearly inferior team. I’m ok with that but he’d be better off clapping the fans that were still there rather than digging out those that left without knowing what the actual reasons were. I’m really not sure there were a lot of fans pissed off with the performance - maybe a few a little pissed off now they had paid their money and then get criticised for exercising some free choice!

I have a different view on this, I think CW wanted the team applauded for reaching 40 points and PL football next season, not so much the performance.

Back
Top Bottom