Formation

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ajmblade

Simply lovleh
Reaction score
Based on the signings made so far ( a good all round full back and traditional winger) does anyone else think we might switch a 4-4-2 next year?

Wouldn't be surprised if we switch to a back four. In front of that could be a 3, 4 or even 5 man midfield.

The quality of CB(s) that we sign should tell us.

Wouldn't be surprised if we switch to a back four. In front of that could be a 3, 4 or even 5 man midfield.

The quality of CB(s) that we sign should tell us.
Agree. I recall CW apparently played 4231 at Northampton and I wouldn't be surprised if we set up like that. Or 433.

The rate we are going at I predict here and now a formation of...

7-12-4-6

YHIHF

Based on the signings made so far ( a good all round full back and traditional winger) does anyone else think we might switch a 4-4-2 next year?

Yes ! As soon as Wilder said he was after two wingers.

We could still play three at the back, with full backs playing high, but unless we sign a bit of a bruiser in centre midfield I think it might leave us a bit exposed in the Champ.

I think we will start the same as this season 352 and play the pressing game

I think this will work to an extent especially as, from what I've seen of the championship, a lot of teams play the possession game.

Where I think it will come unstuck is in the middle of the park with coutts and fleck getting overrun.

Then wilder can change it to 433 like he has this season.

The difference being this season this was used to chase a game with all out attack, where as next season 433 can quickly switch to 451 so we can pack the midfield.

Still see it being attacking football next season but imo there's no way we can go all out every match but I can't see wilder sitting on a lead so 433 seems a likely candidate due to its flexibility

Both the pressing 352 and the counterattacking 451/433 will need the players covering a lot of ground

Hopefully we're just stocking up on options, every time we used a back four last season we looked dodgy defensively, we need three in the middle to get the best out of the midfielders and I can't see us only playing one striker.

I've a suspicion one or two want a little tiny bit of hoof?

Come on, Hoofers, show your true colours, grotesque though they are....

I don't give a fuck what formation we use to play our proper football. That's what works, not where the players stand at kick-off.

I've a suspicion one or two want a little tiny bit of hoof?

Come on, Hoofers, show your true colours, grotesque though they are....

It's not a 'suspicion' is it really, it's rampant paranoia.

If anybody posts a sentence that contains any word beginning with 'h' you get a hard on and start posting about the 'hoofers want their way'.

It may have been moderately amusing once, but now...........

It's not a 'suspicion' is it really, it's rampant paranoia.

If anybody posts a sentence that contains any word beginning with 'h' you get a hard on and start posting about the 'hoofers want their way'.

It may have been moderately amusing once, but now...........

Not just a hard but a long and a high as well.

1-0-0-10 fucking taking it to the Championship Wilder styyyyllleeee.

Agree. I recall CW apparently played 4231 at Northampton and I wouldn't be surprised if we set up like that. Or 433.

A tight 433 is the one I think we're gonna toy with more going forward. Thomas and Lavery doing all the running for Billy who can focus on what he does best. Full backs can still push up like they're in a 352 and a 3 man midfield means we still have that ability of orchestrating the game from there. All we need us a nasty mother fucker in midfield to add a holding role for games where we might be on the back foot and an athletic cb for partnering JOC (Bash also gives decent cover for both of these roles).

A tight 433 is the one I think we're gonna toy with more going forward. Thomas and Lavery doing all the running for Billy who can focus on what he does best. Full backs can still push up like they're in a 352 and a 3 man midfield means we still have that ability of orchestrating the game from there. All we need us a nasty mother fucker in midfield to add a holding role for games where we might be on the back foot and an athletic cb for partnering JOC (Bash also gives decent cover for both of these roles).
I'm not sure where Coutts would fit into that. Teams tend to play either 1&2 or 2&1, I can't think of many that play a flat 3. If we play 21 then Coutts could maybe play alongside Fleck but I'd question whether we'd be solid enough. If we play 12, could he play in a more advanced position? Where does that leave Fleck, or Duffy/Carruthers?

I think we may well play 433 but I think CW may try to make 352 work first. If not, one of our 'star' players is going to miss out.

I'm nhe sure where Coutts would fit into that. Teams tend to play either 1&2 or 2&1, I can't think of many that play a flat 3. If we play 21 then Coutts could maybe play alongside Fleck but I'd question whether we'd be solid enough. If we play 12, could he play in a more advanced position? Where does that leave Fleck, or Duffy/Carruthers?

I think we may well play 433 but I think CW may try to make 352 work first. If not, one of our 'star' players is going to miss out.

Coutts for me would work well in both a 1&2 or 2&1 as he mainly orientates himself around linking our more defensive players to our more attacking players. 1&2 for me would mean Fleck would probe more with Coutts providing the link to him via our more defensive midfielder breaking up play. 2&1 would work in essentially the same way as how we have done this season.

Agree completely with your point about trying to make 352 work first but I think above all other points we will vary our approach both in formation and personnel from game to game. There will be room for 352 next season in the same way that there will be room for 433. It'll all depend on the game and how we need to work to get results.

Coutts for me would work well in both a 1&2 or 2&1 as he mainly orientates himself around linking our more defensive players to our more attacking players. 1&2 for me would mean Fleck would probe more with Coutts providing the link to him via our more defensive midfielder breaking up play. 2&1 would work in essentially the same way as how we have done this season.

Agree completely with your point about trying to make 352 work first but I think above all other points we will vary our approach both in formation and personnel from game to game. There will be room for 352 next season in the same way that there will be room for 433. It'll all depend on the game and how we need to work to get results.
So you'd drop Duffy then?

So you'd drop Duffy then?

I'm not saying to drop anyone. I think Duffy will be really useful for a lot of games and so will Coutts and Fleck. I do however think we need to strengthen with another midfielder and that we will rotate each game as we see fit. It's gonna be a long season and players will get injured or drop in form (Duffy actually being a good example as he began to look a little tired towards the end) so options and variety for me are going to be key to our moving forward.

I'm not saying to drop anyone. I think Duffy will be really useful for a lot of games and so will Coutts and Fleck. I do however think we need to strengthen with another midfielder and that we will rotate each game as we see fit. It's gonna be a long season and players will get injured or drop in form (Duffy actually being a good example as he began to look a little tired towards the end) so options and variety for me are going to be key to our moving forward.
We've hardly changed our team all season, that's what CW likes. The point I'm making is that this season we have played Coutts, Fleck and Duffy in almost every game they've been available. Next season, I don't expect that to happen so one of Coutts, Fleck or Duffy will play a lot less. I doubt it will be Fleck so it will be one of Coutts or Duffy. We can't play all three in a 433 AND have a defensive CM.

We've hardly changed our team all season, that's what CW likes. The point I'm making is that this season we have played Coutts, Fleck and Duffy in almost every game they've been available. Next season, I don't expect that to happen so one of Coutts, Fleck or Duffy will play a lot less. I doubt it will be Fleck so it will be one of Coutts or Duffy. We can't play all three in a 433 AND have a defensive CM.

Good point. Although while that was the preferred line up by and large it's important to note that Coutts wasn't in the team right at the start of the season, it took Fleck a long time when he lost his place to get back in the team and as we got to the second half of the season Duffy was getting subbed more and more in favour of Carruthers and O'Shea.

Granted, Wilder puts a lot into having a settled line up but at the same time he has shown he puts a great deal of emphasis on subs and wants to make sure they stake just as much of a claim for a chance in the first team as well. He also has shown that he is adaptable and will change things up should the need arise so for me it's not going to be a case of "who's dropped" and more a case of "who's most useful for this game"

We started last season with a 4 and it was disasterous. Only JOC escpaed the cull, and he was dropped early on for a couple of games too.

Points on the board early on (just like Barnsley did) is vital as a poor start would lead to lack of confidence and players questioning themselves.

Stick with 3-4-1-2 - perhaps CW's diamond formation that may have a deep sitting midfield player.

What I saw last season was clubs defend their own back 3rd with strenght and depth, and when they do they try and break quickly and are definately more clinical in front of goal.

It's a difficult one for CW & AK to contemplate - all the more reason to get good preparation in pre-season - unlike last season.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom