European Super League

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Would you be in favour of a European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 199 78.3%
  • No

Votes: 55 21.7%

• Total voters
I’m conflicted. As a traditionalist I wouldn’t like to see the English leagues demolished for this. That said the difference between the rich and the others have never been greater although it was always thus to a certain extent really certainly in my lifetime.
As soon as the Premier league started we were on a slippery slope to where we currently are and let’s not forget we were part of that so we share the blame and indeed praise for what we have now.

The pressure is building for this to happen, but the real fans of the big teams want to stay in the domestic competition. Something has got to give.

The way it was put forward last time was terrible in terms of formulation and consultation. The only way the FA should allow teams to play in both the domestic and super league is by having real financial fair play with salary and transfer caps enforced in real time (not years later) and meaningful funding down the pyramid.

If that's not acceptable, creating 20 or so new teams across Europe as a franchise model with no/limited FFP but excluded from domestic competition may be the way to go. They could be affiliated with current teams to keep billionaire owners happy and reuse infrastructure I guess.

Regardless of anything else, we need proper FFP as soon as possible.

The pressure is building for this to happen, but the real fans of the big teams want to stay in the domestic competition. Something has got to give.

The way it was put forward last time was terrible in terms of formulation and consultation. The only way the FA should allow teams to play in both the domestic and super league is by having real financial fair play with salary and transfer caps enforced in real time (not years later) and meaningful funding down the pyramid.

If that's not acceptable, creating 20 or so new teams across Europe as a franchise model with no/limited FFP but excluded from domestic competition may be the way to go. They could be affiliated with current teams to keep billionaire owners happy and reuse infrastructure I guess.

Regardless of anything else, we need proper FFP as soon as possible.

The pressure is only coming from Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus and the Milan clubs.
The reason is because they can see that their leagues are losing value and revenue, whilst the English Premier is growing stronger and richer.
The Italian league is really in the doldrums and nothing like what is was in the late 80's/ early 90's when it was the best league in the world.

There's no financial urgency for any of the English clubs to join a Euro league.
Initially they'll probably trial the league but insisting clubs continue to play in their domestic leagues, that's the current plan they hope to bring in.

However if this become really popular attracting massive TV audiences, then if there a promises of massive riches, then some clubs might risk going alone
and leaving their domestic league, however think there would be a massive kick back in England because most English fans prefer domestic match up
instead of playing European teams, where in Spain and Italy, some domestics matches offer little TV or spectator interest.

Don't think the FA have any control about who plays in the PL.
Also the PL is mainly ruled by the PL Chairman, they won't vote for giving some of their wealth to other clubs in a totally different organisation called the EFL.
They'll say it's up to the EFL to negotiate their own deals and raise their own revenue instead of lazily relying on charity.

If the EFL were given extra money it wouldn't change anything, would just lead to inflation in EFL transfer values.
So more money would go to players and agent, also the EFL will continue with their unequal distribution where Championship clubs receive the bulk of the Sky money.

Think this will create a levelling down of the English game. As many have said the PL is where the money is at the moment and the likes of the Italians, French and Spanish want some of it.

The unknown since the last failed attempt is the Saudis, even our officials are cashing in and where there’s lots of money there’s corruption, money laundering and and elitism.

Probably won’t be in my short lifetime but wait for the big scandals of match fixing, embezzlement, fraud and money laundering charges to come out.

Hi Stegosaurus here

I am surprised that Wednesday's name hasn't been bandied around yet as potentially joining. They are the biggest sleeping giants in football, and pretty much the whole world was talking about how they came from behind to beat Peterborough. If the big wigs are serious about the super league taking off, then they need a team like Wednesday. Not to mention, Wednesday's fan base. They would easily take 20k away fans plus to every away match. It's a guaranteed money spinner to have them involved.

The pressure is only coming from Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus and the Milan clubs.
The reason is because they can see that their leagues are losing value and revenue, whilst the English Premier is growing stronger and richer.
The Italian league is really in the doldrums and nothing like what is was in the late 80's/ early 90's when it was the best league in the world.

There's no financial urgency for any of the English clubs to join a Euro league.
Initially they'll probably trial the league but insisting clubs continue to play in their domestic leagues, that's the current plan they hope to bring in.

However if this become really popular attracting massive TV audiences, then if there a promises of massive riches, then some clubs might risk going alone
and leaving their domestic league, however think there would be a massive kick back in England because most English fans prefer domestic match up
instead of playing European teams, where in Spain and Italy, some domestics matches offer little TV or spectator interest.

Don't think the FA have any control about who plays in the PL.
Also the PL is mainly ruled by the PL Chairman, they won't vote for giving some of their wealth to other clubs in a totally different organisation called the EFL.
They'll say it's up to the EFL to negotiate their own deals and raise their own revenue instead of lazily relying on charity.

If the EFL were given extra money it wouldn't change anything, would just lead to inflation in EFL transfer values.
So more money would go to players and agent, also the EFL will continue with their unequal distribution where Championship clubs receive the bulk of the Sky money.
Your summary is excellent in terms of the current situation (and corrected a few of my errors). It may change if one of a few things happen though. Firstly, it's unlikely, but if the Saudi league really takes off to the point where it eats into the EPL TV revenue. Secondly, if one or two 'big' clubs get relegated, fall off a financial cliff and fold regulators may need to step in to put in meaningful FFP. Third, if the EPL starts to go the way of the Italian and Spanish league as it becomes more a few top teams and then the also rans and interest dwindles. I don't think any of these will happen soon, but stuff changes.

One thing is for sure, the continued hyper inflation of transfers and wages can't continue for ever, even for those clubs with billionaire owners.

If we were flying and 5th or so like we were under Wilder this thread wouldn't even be made.

This is just a sulky thread voted for by sulkers

Or we could actually fix the game, this shite shouldn't be considered.

Of course: it's one of the only way to return the game to its roots. We could be top of the league and I'd say the same thing. The Premier League and government are never going to support making the game sustainable and competitive, by taking on the cabal, so the only other option is the financial collapse of this ridiculous model or a super league. The latter is the least damaging outcome, so bring it on. Not doing anything is extremely bad too, as we've already found to our cost..

It makes no difference to a Sheff United fan -and the vast majority of football fans - where the elite players play. There's nothing to lose and everything to gain. I can just as easily watch Serie A or the Super League if I'm desperate to watch them. It's the flick of a channel. They won't play for us either way.

Last edited:
They might as well form a World Super League, played over 12 months with huge squads of players, massive TV syndication, reality TV shows, private jets in the team colours. Tailgate parties outside English stadia. WSL clothing brands….. the list goes on. It could be a mega version of It’s a Knockout. Quadruple FIFAs income overnight.
Dream League Soccer - Mobile app if you want to play non-Fifa

The European Super League, rightly or wrongly is a natural progression, and with the increasing number of foreign owners looking to protect their investments and pay shareholders, it will come in via stealth. The big boys had a real scare when Leicester won the league and qualified for the Champions League at the expense of Manchester United, Chelsea, and Liverpool. If the big boys had their way they'd have a closed-shop Champions League (so really a Super League) with more games with no relegation or promotion, coupled with a reduced number of teams in the Premier League to counterbalance the extra European games.

Hi Stegosaurus here

I am surprised that Wednesday's name hasn't been bandied around yet as potentially joining. They are the biggest sleeping giants in football, and pretty much the whole world was talking about how they came from behind to beat Peterborough. If the big wigs are serious about the super league taking off, then they need a team like Wednesday. Not to mention, Wednesday's fan base. They would easily take 20k away fans plus to every away match. It's a guaranteed money spinner to have them involved.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😜

The only way the ESL works is if it replaces the PL as the best league in the world. Running alongside the PL as a CL on steroids, it is still 2nd in terms of coverage and worldwide appeal.

It's a big leap for the big clubs here, to abandon the PL for something not financially secured. If the TV coverage and sponsorship is guaranteed to flip over and be secured for several years they might jump, but it's a risk. No doubt the growing USA lobby would want an end to relegation and even a franchise type system to guarantee the income, which IMO could be the very thing that sinks it. European sport is built on the up/down structure, people like the peril and reward, whereas USA sport has no such heritage. The closed shop thrives in The States, it could be the death knell in Europe when the novelty wears off.

The only way the ESL works is if it replaces the PL as the best league in the world. Running alongside the PL as a CL on steroids, it is still 2nd in terms of coverage and worldwide appeal.

It's a big leap for the big clubs here, to abandon the PL for something not financially secured. If the TV coverage and sponsorship is guaranteed to flip over and be secured for several years they might jump, but it's a risk. No doubt the growing USA lobby would want an end to relegation and even a franchise type system to guarantee the income, which IMO could be the very thing that sinks it. European sport is built on the up/down structure, people like the peril and reward, whereas USA sport has no such heritage. The closed shop thrives in The States, it could be the death knell in Europe when the novelty wears off.
For an ESL to work I think it needs to be a franchise model with separate squads and stronger FFP rules in the domestic competition. Otherwise you just move the financial cliff face from the bottom of the PL to the bottom of the ESL and don't do anything to address sustainability in the domestic pyramid.

A feasible option may be for the ESL to be a joint venture of the major current leagues with franchises owned by existing clubs running two squads and sharing infrastructure. The PL wouldn't lose out (they would be joint owners), the big clubs get to throw all the money they want at elite squads, the big leagues won't lose their heritage teams (and their real supporters), and the domestic competition can become a real competition again without the extreme risk of financial ruin. It won't happen though!

I wouldn’t cry if we never played any of the top six ever again. In fact I sincerely hope they jump ship and pull up the drawbridge behind them…There’ll be enough representation left to build a half decent league from scratch.

I wouldn’t cry if we never played any of the top six ever again. In fact I sincerely hope they jump ship and pull up the drawbridge behind them…There’ll be enough representation left to build a half decent league from scratch.

I would love the eff off too.. unfortunately the latest proposals effectively just replace the Champions Legaue and UEFA League so the big clubs would still remain in their domestic leagues and hoover up all the new European riches on top During midweek.

Things like this are making a European Super League become more likely:

These kind of reports always make me laugh when they talk about "what's good for football".

The EFL have no interest in the welfare of football as a whole and are only interested in their own clubs.
They scream unfairness at the PL but then distribute their own TV in an incredibly unfair way with the Championship receiving almost all the money.

The EFL complain about the gap between the PL and the Championship
but what about the gap between league 1 and the championship and it's getting bigger each season.
What are the EFL doing to get their house in order?

SouthEssex Blade understands the situation.
There's no way any big 6 club would leave the PL to join a Euro super because at the moment the PL is the super league.
On a world wide level a European Super League currently can't compete with the PL.....however this may change over time.

Obviously every club in the PL and in the EFL are mainly interested in revenue.
So a big 6 club will remain in the PL and hope to dip their toes in the Euro league at the same time, to test the waters.
Remember once the novelty of a Euro league has worn off, then it could be a massive own goal.
Also don't think there's any desire by the fans of the big English clubs to leave and play Real and Barca every single season.

What you find is that the fans and officials of Real Madrid, Barca, Juventus, Milan etc are desperate to form a Euro super league.
Those clubs have little to lose because apart from a few top teams their domestic competitions have little interest around the world.
Those clubs can see the future and the projections than the English Premier is set to become richer and even more powerful.

The English Premier League is already commercially the world super league.
Any Euro super league would be experimental and has a lot of catching up to do......in the mean time English clubs hold the power.

Id love the top 6 to fck off and join a european super league, would love to see a couple of them at the bottom of the league having a season like were having, they would soon be begging to rejoin our league

The problem is if they leave they will suffer....dont think their fans would accept it... but so will the Premier League suffer too.
Revenue will drastically reduce....so the standard of player will decrease massively.

The Premier League will be like playing in the Championship.....with the Championship smaller too and becoming league 1 standard.

These kind of reports always make me laugh when they talk about "what's good for football".

The EFL have no interest in the welfare of football as a whole and are only interested in their own clubs.
They scream unfairness at the PL but then distribute their own TV in an incredibly unfair way with the Championship receiving almost all the money.

The EFL complain about the gap between the PL and the Championship
but what about the gap between league 1 and the championship and it's getting bigger each season.
What are the EFL doing to get their house in order?

SouthEssex Blade understands the situation.
There's no way any big 6 club would leave the PL to join a Euro super because at the moment the PL is the super league.
On a world wide level a European Super League currently can't compete with the PL.....however this may change over time.

Obviously every club in the PL and in the EFL are mainly interested in revenue.
So a big 6 club will remain in the PL and hope to dip their toes in the Euro league at the same time, to test the waters.
Remember once the novelty of a Euro league has worn off, then it could be a massive own goal.
Also don't think there's any desire by the fans of the big English clubs to leave and play Real and Barca every single season.

What you find is that the fans and officials of Real Madrid, Barca, Juventus, Milan etc are desperate to form a Euro super league.
Those clubs have little to lose because apart from a few top teams their domestic competitions have little interest around the world.
Those clubs can see the future and the projections than the English Premier is set to become richer and even more powerful.

The English Premier League is already commercially the world super league.
Any Euro super league would be experimental and has a lot of catching up to do......in the mean time English clubs hold the power.

I think the attraction for the Premier League clubs is that a European super league wouldn’t have any competition meaning the clubs could introduce rules like salary caps without the risk of players just moving to another league.

At the moment the Premier League’s revenue is massive, but the clubs are still losing money. A system which is similar to the American sports leagues would be the dream scenario for the top 6 club owners. A European super league would provide the possibility of copying the American model.

Reduce the top league to 18, bring in 4 from the pyramid and have the other 3 leagues with 24 each (as now) OR bring in 2 and have 4 leagues of 22

So much hypocrisy.

The EFL is not competitive. Look how TV money is distributed.
Almost all of it goes to the Championship clubs where as league 1 and league 2 feed off the scraps.

He says the gap between the PL and championship is massive but what about the gap between league 1 and the Championship?

Also why would the PL remove parachute payments.
Without parachute payments, the gap would become even bigger.
The promoted clubs would be seen as cannon fodder and would be forced to offer performance related contracts
with massive decreased wage relegation clauses, so it would be a real struggle for promoted clubs to attract anyone decent.
The PL would become a closed shop with scores like 9-0 and 10-0 happening.

Also he mentions competition and quotes Leeds, Leicester and Southampton being at the top. However this is a blip.
He failed to mention that last season all the promoted teams stayed up and normally relegated teams don't instantly gain promotion.

Everyone has self interest, Ridsdale is no different and also when you talk about "what's good for football", it's not so simple.
If you want to take it back to basics, Sheffield FC had the right idea in the mid 1880's.
It's professionalism that has ruined football, it's never been the same since and has been riddled with unfairness for over 100 years.

I heard this clown on the radio this morning. I have sympathy with lower league clubs, but cannot believe Ridsdale's nerve. He is the poster boy for profligate, unsustainable spending.

Ridsdale may as well have said "I know I did it and created this situation but this sort of thing really needs to stop."

Trouble is every single winner of said league would come with a * by their name in the list of winners to indicate "actually only the seventh best team in the country"

Reduce the top league to 18, bring in 4 from the pyramid and have the other 3 leagues with 24 each (as now) OR bring in 2 and have 4 leagues of 22
On the contrary, instead of parachute payments I’d extend the Prems incremental prize money to 26 teams to take in the top six in the Championship. This would allow 3 other clubs apart from the 3 promoted sides (usually the relegated ones) a shot at big money. This would incentivise more clubs to go for a top six finish and give themselves a better chance of challenging the relegated clubs the season after …and maybe be better prepared for an assault on the Prem.
Trouble is every single winner of said league would come with a * by their name in the list of winners to indicate "actually only the seventh best team in the country"
Yes, I take your point, but with the “top six”being part of a totally separate European league…It wouldn’t really matter if winner’s of a new Prem aren’t the best in the world…I’d like to think it would make the league more competitive and thus more enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom