Match Thread Estoril vs Sheff United match thread.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

this has been exactly what was expected, a disjointed game with little flow, ndiaye looks good though.. larouci had good and bad moments

Always astounds me how much people look to rate preseason, it’s purely about minutes in the players, especially when using two mixed XIs.

Seen some utter dross at first team and academy levels, seen some positive, never means owt :)

It’s why I stopped adding preseason to the player ratings :)

Wow that was horrendous- lets face it there's Illy and then theres the rest of them.

He’s looked no better or worse than anyone else. Not bad for a first outing in a glorified training session imo. Apart from the obvious number 29/10. I won’t say much more than that.

Fleck however is as bad as ever and Osborn is an atrocious ‘forward player’. Even in pre season those are the takeaways. Either of them getting contracts is baffling.
I really was against Fleck staying, less so Osborn because of his ability to offer cover for LWB. Fleck though, I wouldn't have kept him had we stayed down!

Always astounds me how much people look to rate preseason, it’s purely about minutes in the players, especially when using two mixed XIs.

Seen some utter dross at first team and academy levels, seen some positive, never means owt :)

Suppose it helps people who aren’t/can’t watch the stream, just puts a bit of context for people reading the thread

First half summary

Poor game affected by the wind.
Jebbo and Ndiaye getting kicked at every opportunity.
Midfield three poor not providing out ball from defence.
Davies kicking is getting worse.
Ndiaye laid on best chance by going past 3 players and laid it off to Fleck who promptly miskicked it in the penalty area.
Good free kick from Fleck just past the post.
Neal needs a loan out and Osborn not a 10.
Francis looks more assured playing in the middle of a 3.

Thought Sachdev and Francis looked comfortable and composed which is a decent sign for an academy lad and a potential developmental prospect

Suppose it helps people who aren’t/can’t watch the stream, just puts a bit of context for people reading the thread

Oh I don’t necessarily mean the description of the game by any stretch, more the “certain” comments on someone’s quality or how they’ll fit 🤣

Or writing them off for the rest of the season.

the first half midfield was horrendous. Pre-season i know but i don’t get how they can fail to control a ball or find a man after a short absence, i think my touch is better than half the squad. Looking forward to seeing slimane 2nd half.

Hard watching pre-season and not get too judgemental but it definitely highlights the worries most people have about our midfield.

i hope fleck/ozzy can improve on that before the season.

Would have worried if we looked the finished article in july. Its training even its a game on.

the first half midfield was horrendous. Pre-season i know but i don’t get how they can fail to control a ball or find a man after a short absence, i think my touch is better than half the squad. Looking forward to seeing slimane 2nd half.

Hard watching pre-season and not get too judgemental but it definitely highlights the worries most people have about our midfield.

i hope fleck/ozzy can improve on that before the season.

Stress less, i watched Newcastle friendly against non league last week and first half Newcastle team looked like they'd never touched a football in their life and were 2-0 down.

First half summary

Ndiaye laid on best chance by going past 3 players and laid it off to Fleck who promptly miskicked it in the penalty area.
Formation was 5-2-3, otherwise agree.

First half summary

"Poor game affected by the wind"
"Davis kicking getting worse"
Hmm........ 🤔

I really was against Fleck staying, less so Osborn because of his ability to offer cover for LWB. Fleck though, I wouldn't have kept him had we stayed down!
We’ve got 3 LWB’s, 4 with Robinson, 5 with Bogle, 6 with Baldock. It’s not a reason to keep a sub-par squad player 😂

I'm not going to read too much into that first half as only Ndiaye, Larouci and Robinson are likely to be anywhere near the starting line up for Palace. So this ultimately doesn't matter in the big picture.

A poor first half. The midfield were completely null and void by their own doing, with Ndiaye and Jebbo starved of service. Jebbo's decision making when he did have the ball was poor, he's too hesitant but this is his first match so that will more likely be the reason for lacking match sharpness. Like the first half against Chesterfield there was way too much back passing and safety balls for keeping possession. It's a pre-season friendly, grow a pair, take a gamble, take a risk, it's not like the result matters. Pass forwards, try to create something. Give Ndiaye and Jebbo a chances instead of taking them out of the game.

Sachdev stood out in that half for me, he was probably the only decent player out there. Francis looked okay, nothing special, nothing bad, much like against Chesterfield. Larouci's passing was a mixed bag and he looks rusty. Again sometimes hesitant when he was in space and he couldn't decided whether to run with it or pass it. By the time he made up his mind opponents were all over him. That could also be him getting used to what Hecky wants from him in that situation and he was fouled a lot in that half. More than any other player.

Other than Fleck's free kick, no chances created in the first half or shots on goal of note, and two other wasted set pieces, one on the edge of the box that ended with Davies in our half with little to no pressure when they tried to play it short. It was embarrassingly and laughably poor.

Like I said, I'm not going to read into it too much. 🤣

But we need some more midfielders. Not just to accompany Berge, but to keep the existing ones on the bench. Both first halves against Chesterfield and tonight the midfield has been negative and shockingly poor. Estoril have been quite a dirty lot committing a lot of fouls but that's mainly because of our hesitancy and poor decision making.

The second half will be much better with a far better eleven. The pressure will be on Osula to make amends for Saturday and shake off the rustiness.

Yeah think he’ll have done his cause some good
I think we need to see him when we are under the cosh because he hasn’t had a great deal to do tbf defending wise. He’s comfortable in possession when he has time on the ball but it’s the defending he will be judged on and as of yet he really hasn’t done much of it which is no fault of his own. Hopefully in the next couple of games some real pressure can be put on him which will give us a better idea.

Tell that to Bayern

o_O

We’re 5 minutes in now. Who’s going to be the first to say that Larouci isn’t good enough?
His first pre-season friendly with his new club. He grew into the half, lets not write him off...

Can't really read too much into it at this stage.

Osula scores, only to be ruled offside. Looked close

Back
Top Bottom