End of fan power

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

They wouldn't have turned on Wilder.

Fans at Bramall Lane would have probably helped get us a few more points and we wouldn't be certainties to go down.
It's not the Chris Wilder show, it's Sheffield United, like it or lump the results & recruitment have been diabolical how hes got this far is amazing, any other manager would have been shown the door last October at least.

Top of the Premiership is akin to the top table in big time poker, you've got to have and be prepared to lose an astronomical amount of money just to play there, and then even more to stay....

It's no longer a sport any more.......

Your right we wouldn’t have turned on Wilder but there would have been no guarantees that we wouldn’t have turned on the board

I think a good section would have been having more than a grumble at Wilder if we were there this season. Another game where we change the front 2 and fiddle with the back 3 who didn't look too bad for a non enforced reason. Lundstram still playing. Brewster coming on for 10 minutes when we're already losing etc

You could say we wouldn't have been quite as abysmal with a crowd in I suppose, so it wouldn't have happened anyway, but a crowd watching this season, they'd have turned.

The whole crowd wouldn't have turned on Wilder

If some had then it would have turned nasty and they'd have been some fighting
Possibly your right but it would only have been the beer fighting.

Now we have a board consisting of a Saudi prince based in LA who never comes to the Lane, a young Saudi Chairman, a Saudi princess,
Yusuf Giansiracusa and Jan Van Winckel. The next manager is unlikely to have any connections with Sheffield either, and won't be a Blade.
Interesting question this....

Can I pose the devils advocate question, "when does it stop being Sheffield United for you..."

You could end up with all or any permutation of,

"Foreign" Ownership
"Foreign" Board
"Foreign" DOF
"Foreign" Head Coach
"Foreign" Coaching Staff
100% "Foreign" first team squad
U23's & academy a revolving cast of "UnitedWorld hopefuls"
"Foreign" Shirt sponsor
"Foreign" Ground sponsor
Flatpack stadium at Meadowhall/Orgreave
"Opaque" financial situation

Me owd Grandad* used to say, "even if they put aht 11 dogs in United shirts, I'd still go an' watch 'em"

Does this still ring true today or is there a point at which the connection is lost & it's just not Sheffield United anymore and you're off to Dronfield to watch "Club"?

*He never lived in the Premier League era

Can I pose the devils advocate question, "when does it stop being Sheffield United for you..."

"Foreign" Ownership
"Foreign" Board
"Foreign" DOF
"Foreign" Head Coach
"Foreign" Coaching Staff
"Foreign" Shirt sponsor
"Foreign" Ground sponsor

Me owd Grandad* used to say, "even if they put aht 11 dogs in United shirts, I'd still go an' watch 'em"

Does this still ring true today or is there a point at which the connection is lost & it's just not Sheffield United anymore and you're off to Dronfield to watch "Club"?

It would have to be a Wimbledon / MK Dons scenario for me. That's the only scenario where i would consider the club dead to me.

This is where I have some (just a pinch) of sympathy for pigs. They're owned by a despot, they're tin pot and they play in a rust pot, but they turn up & support the blue and white and the shithawk on the badge. I'd do the same, even if I had to cringe my way through a 20 minute tribute to the Saudi king.

"Foreign" Ownership
"Foreign" Board
"Foreign" DOF
"Foreign" Head Coach
"Foreign" Coaching Staff
"Foreign" Shirt sponsor
"Foreign" Ground sponsor

Think it's long overdue for somebody to drag us into the 21st century, we've lived with this so called "knows the club, DNA, rubbish " For so long it's time for something different, and if it doesn't work, well at least we've given it a go.

"Foreign" Ownership
"Foreign" Board
"Foreign" DOF
"Foreign" Head Coach
"Foreign" Coaching Staff
"Foreign" Shirt sponsor
"Foreign" Ground sponsor

Why does it matter if they are foreign?

Seen plenty of Blades sides run out with no Sheffielders in the line up, managed by people with no previous affinity to the club.

Likewise Mike McDonald and Reg Brearley weren’t Blades fans

Why does it matter if they are foreign?

Seen plenty of Blades sides run out with no Sheffielders in the line up, managed by people with no previous affinity to the club.

Likewise Mike McDonald and Reg Brearley weren’t Blades fans
It doesn’t. A club is its supporters. For as long as people are prepared to pay to watch a football club, that club will exist in some form. Even the likes of Bury will come back if their supporters are still willing to support them, even if it’s a Phoenix club, it will still have the heart and soul of Bury FC, even more so in some respects because it will only exist through the efforts of those existing fans who will give up most of their spare time to make it happen.
The rest just come and go. We’ll still be there long after the current owners have moved on. Maybe not me personally, I might not live that long, but people like me, people who’ve been going since they were kids, who have memories, good and bad, telling their kids about Billy Sharp, goal machine, Basham arriving, Duffy’s goal that stopped them bouncing.

If I had a bit of influence at Bramall Lane. the first I would do is get rid of those bleeding pink shirts.
Get rid of Norwood and Lundstrom. for starters..

I understand the OP sentiment, but we need to decide.. ..if we actually prefer being the "local club for local people" sponsored by "local shop"

Well Yes!
Why do I support Sheffield United? Because it's my LOCAL club and it's part of the city I call home. I love that the ground is in the city, so I walk past it frequently. I can go for a pint and a kebab on London Road before the match.

Can't imagine getting the emotional connection for driving to some anonymous stadium near the M1, named after a sponsor, full of plastic fans and quiet as a library.

Can't see us ever being big enough to have 'fans' in Indonesia or wherever like Man Utd, so maybe the club needs to look after its local support and understand what draws them to the club and not kill that stone dead.

Reactions: Dkc

"Foreign" Ownership
"Foreign" Board
"Foreign" DOF
"Foreign" Head Coach
"Foreign" Coaching Staff
"Foreign" Shirt sponsor
"Foreign" Ground sponsor

For me, a ground move makes any other changes harder for it to still feel like the Utd I support.

Secondly and more importantly, if he did, then I would be straight down to Sheffield FC, Stocksbridge PS and Hallam FC for season tickets.

Not a bad shout either way. I started going when I couldn't get tickets for the Blades and loved it.
Just about get ticket, pie and a pint for a tenner, can walk around, drink your pint by the pitch, swear at the ref. Top day out

You all do realise Bramall Lane can't stay as it is forever don't you? Any sort of sustained success and just over 30k and a few exec boxes will not suffice not a lot of scope to increase capacity either. You would need a Spurs type re build to stay at the lane. I started going in the early 60's there is very little left from back then other than the shithouses behind the Kop and maybe a bit of old brickwork on the lane end. Sometimes you have to go with change and not be scared of it, fans still go to watch Rotherham, Doncaster and Chessy. While ever United exist fans will go to watch them wherever home is.

When McCabe left, ownership at the Lane moved out of Sheffield. Previously, we've always had a board and chairman with strong connections to the city. Families like the Wraggs and the Lavers, and successful local businessmen who are Blades, and loved the club.

Following the Saudi takeover the saving grace was CW. A Blade through and through, and holding more power than most managers due to his success and popularity with the fans.

Now we have a board consisting of a Saudi prince based in LA who never comes to the Lane, a young Saudi Chairman, a Saudi princess,
Yusuf Giansiracusa and Jan Van Winckel. The next manager is unlikely to have any connections with Sheffield either, and won't be a Blade.

As a result I can't see there being any objections by those in charge to a move to a new stadium, change to the club crest, kit etc. If they think that it will make them money.

Fantastic isn't it ?
A management team not interested in a chip butteh from't Manoh Chippy and publicising just how fucking shyte Sheffield really is.

I've asked my self the same question, why would someone with no connection to the city buy our club ?
It can't be that owning a football club is a good investment. In fact most people in the know on here would say it's the opposite, and yet in the relevantly short time he's been here he's pump a hell of a lot of money into the club one way or another.
And though some bigger blades on here like to claim he's skint, he's still put a lot more money into the club than they have with the price of a season ticket, as important as that is to the club.
HRH in my opinion with his conduct so far deserves a lot more respect than some on here are prepared to give him.

Only time will tell where we go from here, but talk of leaving Bramall lane for a bigger stadium somewhere on the outskirts even if we were to bounce straight back, sounds a bit pie in the sky to me right now, we've got bigger fish to fry than that.... :tumbleweed:

Back
Top Bottom