End of fan power

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Dkc

Reaction score
When McCabe left, ownership at the Lane moved out of Sheffield. Previously, we've always had a board and chairman with strong connections to the city. Families like the Wraggs and the Lavers, and successful local businessmen who are Blades, and loved the club.

Following the Saudi takeover the saving grace was CW. A Blade through and through, and holding more power than most managers due to his success and popularity with the fans.

Now we have a board consisting of a Saudi prince based in LA who never comes to the Lane, a young Saudi Chairman, a Saudi princess,
Yusuf Giansiracusa and Jan Van Winckel. The next manager is unlikely to have any connections with Sheffield either, and won't be a Blade.

As a result I can't see there being any objections by those in charge to a move to a new stadium, change to the club crest, kit etc. If they think that it will make them money.

Fan power will be back next season.

If fans are back in stadiums, then it won't take long for car park protests to appear if we're not running away with the league

We've changed the design of our badge 7 times in the last 30 years and we get a new kit every season, so you might have a point.

I'm more concerned about the potential they might sell the Lane and move us to Meadowhall or somewhere. If we were ever to do really well, I reckon it would be inevitable

As a result I can't see there being any objections by those in charge to a move to a new stadium, change to the club crest, kit etc. If they think that it will make them money.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

I did hear a rumor the Prince was in for a sponsorship team up with Fornite. Big money to be made if we became Fortnite FC or the Fortnite Blades.

I understand the OP sentiment, but we need to decide if we REALLY want to be a significant club over the longer term, or if we actually prefer being the "local club for local people" sponsored by "local shop"

The dynamic has completely changed since the doffing of flat caps in "Mester Wragg's" direction. Question is, have we?

I do worry who has the best interests of the club at heart: the board or Chris Wilder.

Whether or not the training facilities are rebuilt will be a big indicator to me as to the intentions of the board.

At least new facilities would be one positive legacy from these 2 seasons in the PL.

UTB

My question is, Wilder was always going to leave at some point, either we continued to be successful and a big club grows a pair and nabs him, or an international job, or we float about in the Prem and he's satisfied and does it until he's 60 and calls it a day, so then what? Do we only get ex-players and people from Sheffield?

Wilder goes, Jagielka takes over, Jagielka goes Billy takes over, Billy goes, Kyle Walker takes over etc etc until the end of time?

I'm ignoring the board thing, because McCabe was a Blade and he was pretty much entirely dogshit, and it's not a common occurrence at all nowadays for the owner to have any ties to the club geographically.

I understand the OP sentiment, but we need to decide if we REALLY want to be a significant club over the longer term, or if we actually prefer being the "local club for local people" sponsored by "local shop"

The dynamic has completely changed since the doffing of flat caps in "Mester Wragg's" direction. Question is, have we?
I guess the question is “ do we want to win things, be a top club but be owned by corporate entities with no local connection or are we happy to do what we have done over the last 50 years ?”
I am not sure there is much middle ground here.

Go and watch Sheffield FC if you ain’t happy with modern football, big clubs just aren’t owned by fans, managed by fans etc. and that isn’t going to change.

If you don’t like that fact, well it’s tough shit unfortunately.

If fans are back in stadiums, then it won't take long for car park protests to appear if we're not running away with the league
It's a good job fans weren't back this season with the shit we've been served up, the car park would have full to bursting with shoes.

I'm more concerned about the potential they might sell the Lane and move us to Meadowhall or somewhere. If we were ever to do really well, I reckon it would be inevitable
As a business transaction, selling the Lane and building a new stadium somewhere else doesn't add up. It's a money out of an idea.

A new stadium move has been all but inevitable since McCabe decided he was building on the corner of John St and Shoreham St.

If HRH can't afford, or won't fund upgrades (or even essential repairs if the rumours are true) to the training ground, then I can't see how he will ever be able to finance a new stadium.

He did also say that he had no plans to move us when he took sole ownership, so we can only take him on his word for now. I appreciate that many folk probably won't trust him at the moment though.

When McCabe left, ownership at the Lane moved out of Sheffield. Previously, we've always had a board and chairman with strong connections to the city. Families like the Wraggs and the Lavers, and successful local businessmen who are Blades, and loved the club.

Following the Saudi takeover the saving grace was CW. A Blade through and through, and holding more power than most managers due to his success and popularity with the fans.

Now we have a board consisting of a Saudi prince based in LA who never comes to the Lane, a young Saudi Chairman, a Saudi princess,
Yusuf Giansiracusa and Jan Van Winckel. The next manager is unlikely to have any connections with Sheffield either, and won't be a Blade.

McCabe did put money in the club for a long time , but not enough to make a massive difference. If we'd have gone up with mcCabe situation would be as bad.
Plus he is still acting 100% purely business minded to get as much out of SUFC as he can with his current land antics. I'm not blaming him, but to imagine his bladiness overlies anything else in nonesense.

Go and watch Sheffield FC if you ain’t happy with modern football, big clubs just aren’t owned by fans, managed by fans etc. and that isn’t going to change.

If you don’t like that fact, well it’s tough shit unfortunately.
Maybe your right, I personally would hate my team to go plastic, but then again being an old man now, my day has gone and maybe change is the only way foreword.
I've still got my memories and it's out of our hands anyway now, so maybe Sheffield FC is the future what ever will be will be........ :tumbleweed:

He can’t afford to upgrade the training ground so he can’t afford a new ground !

So you are saying that, if Wilder was in charge, they would be car park protests if we not running away with the league?

As a business transaction, selling the Lane and building a new stadium somewhere else doesn't add up. It's a money out of an idea.

My caveat was "if we were ever to do really well", hence we would need a 50,000 seater stadium which we could probably not get at the Lane.

Mind you, WE would have to be REALLY well ;)

Yes, fantastic isn't it
Football has moved on everywhere else, except Sheffield of course.

Back
Top Bottom