Elephant in the room

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Having looked at Matty Cash on YouTube (yes, I know) I think he could do the job. He looks a proper handful plus skilful with the ball and not afraid to ‘av a go from distance. Wing Back, Midfielder and Centre Back all look within his capabilities.

For the Umpteenthty time. The Academy have been working on filling the number 6 position for a long time. Plans are very advanced, I was able to witness those plans first hand at an Academy friendly at Parkgate. I've posted time & time again. No. Need. To. Worry.
View attachment 87454

Good to know Phil, any names in particular that are on the horizon of the first team squad?

And therein lies our problem. I do believe we need an academy worthy of the name. We need players coming through, options, everyone else seems to have players waiting to come through but us.

I know Wilder is on the case with this though, it's part of the legacy he wants to leave.

As Wilder said recently, a couple of times, the team has out paced club and by extension, you'd have to assume, the academy. To match the rise up the league that the first team has made, there would have had to have been several 15/16 year olds on the cusp of greatness when CWAK took over, to be in with a shout at PL football this year. Which would then beg the question, why couldn't they have be in the team sooner?

Obviously developing a decent number of youth players takes time and the pace that the first team has risen hasn't allowed that to happen. Yet. But, by the accounts of our very own Ball_Sup (Phil) things are happening on all fronts.

For the Umpteenthty time. The Academy have been working on filling the number 6 position for a long time. Plans are very advanced, I was able to witness those plans first hand at an Academy friendly at Parkgate. I've posted time & time again. No. Need. To. Worry.
View attachment 87454
Nice little ground that. Lovely bowling greens too. Shame about the shite beer in the clubhouse.

Sorry. There's been a Whoosh. I posted a (genuine) picture of two Number Sixes playing in one game. Thus implying you'll need two players to replace Bash. Thus falling flat.....

Whoosh. I'm good at them. Point taken and l whole heartedly agree. This probably contributes to the size of the Elephant in question.

Sorry. There's been a Whoosh. I posted a (genuine) picture of two Number Sixes playing in one game. Thus implying you'll need two players to replace Bash. Thus falling flat.....

Yeah, yeah got that - but erm... what about any potential first teamers?

Last edited:
The only rumours I've seen (and only via posters on here) have linked us to Ben Cabango & Joe Rodon, two young centre backs at Swansea City.

I've seen Rodon (McBurnie's best pal) play a number of times and he looks like he has a lot of potential. Yet to see Cabango play.

As long as he's able to dress himself :shark:

As long as he's able to dress himself :shark:
If that's a dig at McBurnie's ability to dress himself, I think he knows physically/mechanically HOW to do it.
Just that he's not yet realised that doing it with the light on & with his eyes open will deliver a bit better end result in terms of choice of clobber.

Kyle Walker
Mason Holgate
Ben Godfrey

You know, just the cheap options...

In all seriousness, we would be looking for someone with the attacking intent of a WB, but maybe with a bit more defensive discipline, height and physicality. It's not easy to find, and the role (when to stay back or push on) isn't easy to learn - it really does emphasise how magic and crucial Bash and JOC are.
Could be Matty cash

I don't think this counts as an elephant in the room.

Is my opinion not Okay with yourself then?
You know what I meant Bladezz, of course your opinion is OK but people were just discussing something as they do on a forum, your comment just seemed a bit pointless and in the end it is of course down to wilder and Knill, you offer good and informative posts and to say what you did is something from the book of football quotes that get churned out by people who don't have much of an opinion but want to look like they know things, I just think you are better than that.

You know what I meant Bladezz, of course your opinion is OK but people were just discussing something as they do on a forum, your comment just seemed a bit pointless and in the end it is of course down to wilder and Knill, you offer good and informative posts and to say what you did is something from the book of football quotes that get churned out by people who don't have much of an opinion but want to look like they know things, I just think you are better than that.

I more thought it as obvious we would be trying to find cover for Basham. He’s 32 years old, we have to be looking to recycle all of our players who are at his age. We have been interested in Lenihan numerous times according to reports. It’s just stretching the budget and we all know again it’s quite obvious we need more firepower.

Presumably, he just wasn't good enough. Bash has just won 2 player of the year awards. Arguably the biggest boots to fill in the squad. Whoever comes in to compete /replace him is going to have to be some player.
I think the right hand side of the team is weaker and less creative than the left, for whatever reasons. That is something we need to focus on if we want to be a more offensive team.

It seems like Wilder is looking to reinforce/introduce competition in that area. Hence the interest in Matty Cash.

In order for the team to advance we will see players, who we may adore at the moment, replaced with better ones. That’s the way it goes.

Basham is a great servant to the club and always gives 100%, But he will be superseded next season I think.

I think the right hand side of the team is weaker and less creative than the left, for whatever reasons. That is something we need to focus on if we want to be a more offensive team.

It seems like Wilder is looking to reinforce/introduce competition in that area. Hence the interest in Matty Cash.

In order for the team to advance we will see players, who we may adore at the moment, replaced with better ones. That’s the way it goes.

Basham is a great servant to the club and always gives 100%, But he will be superseded next season I think.

I sincerely hope so! Personally, I feel recruitment should have one main aim - whoever you bring in should push the current player, in that position, onto the bench. Imagine a scenario where Fleck, Bash, JOC, Norwood, Didzy etc. are our strength in depth. That should be the aim.

I sincerely hope so! Personally, I feel recruitment should have one main aim - whoever you bring in should push the current player, in that position, onto the bench. Imagine a scenario where Fleck, Bash, JOC, Norwood, Didzy etc. are our strength in depth. That should be the aim.
Couldn't agree more.

That's why I get frustrated when I see folks posting on here about certain signings being "squad player" or "back up". There was one the other day who posted, "could do worse". I mean, if you really want to improve the squad, you absolutely have to look for players who are better than what you have currently got. If you stand still, you go backwards in this game, especially at this level.

I think we'll see some wheeling and dealing possibly over the next few weeks. No one is indispensable.

Back
Top Bottom