Elephant in the room

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ron_Justice

Reaction score
A thought l had during one of the final 3 games this season. Who's the direct cover for Bash? Unless I'm mistaken (probable), whenever the need to replace Bash has arisen, we've shuffled formation to the 4-4-2. I can't think who in the current squad can come in and play the RCB in the 3-5-2.

As much as we need cover in several positions, i'm not seeing any discussion around competition / a replacement for Bash. Obviously he doesn't really need either of those things, if he can stay fit, but if we lose him to injury, as we stand, we're fucked. It doesn't seem to be a subject / position that's being focused on, by us lot at least, and discussed. .

Anyone got any names of players able to do the job Bash does? I don't mean decent CB's that are solid and 'a name'. l mean a made to measure replacement that would fit straight in.

Kyle Walker
Mason Holgate
Ben Godfrey

You know, just the cheap options...

In all seriousness, we would be looking for someone with the attacking intent of a WB, but maybe with a bit more defensive discipline, height and physicality. It's not easy to find, and the role (when to stay back or push on) isn't easy to learn - it really does emphasise how magic and crucial Bash and JOC are.

A thought l had during one of the final 3 games this season. Who's the direct cover for Bash? Unless I'm mistaken (probable), whenever the need to replace Bash has arisen, we've shuffled formation to the 4-4-2. I can't think who in the current squad can come in and play the RCB in the 3-5-2.

As much as we need cover in several positions, i'm not seeing any discussion around competition / a replacement for Bash. Obviously he doesn't really need either of those things, if he can stay fit, but if we lose him to injury, as we stand, we're fucked. It doesn't seem to be a subject / position that's being focused on, by us lot at least, and discussed. .

Anyone got any names of players able to do the job Bash does? I don't mean decent CB's that are solid and 'a name'. l mean a made to measure replacement that would fit straight in.

I thought Retsos was going to fill that role. Seemed an ideal fit considering he played CB for Olympiacos and RB for Leverkusen. When he left I thought it was a money issue. But now I’m not so sure.
I wonder what went wrong? Would love to know if anyone’s got some inside info on the subject.

Kyle Walker
Mason Holgate
Ben Godfrey

In all seriousness, we would be looking for someone with the attacking intent of a WB, but maybe with a bit more defensive discipline, height and physicality. It's not easy to find, and the role (when to stay back or push on) isn't easy to learn - it really does emphasise how magic and crucial Bash and JOC are.

I don't really subscribe to the Bladey Blade bollocks, but it seems like it could be written in stars that as Bash falls away, Kyle Walker begins to see his appearances at Citeh dwindle and he looks to maintain his career elsewhere. No secrets about his desire to return to us one day.

I thought Retsos was going to fill that role. Seemed an ideal fit considering he played CB for Olympiacos and RB for Leverkusen. When he left I thought it was a money issue. But now I’m not so sure.
I wonder what went wrong? Would love to know if anyone’s got some inside info on the subject.

Presumably, he just wasn't good enough. Bash has just won 2 player of the year awards. Arguably the biggest boots to fill in the squad. Whoever comes in to compete /replace him is going to have to be some player.

When we’ve switched to 4 it’s usually a tactical switch that we’ve lifted Basham to instigate, rather than a switch we’ve made because Basham has been injured – Rodwell for a bit a Burnley did it (the main role we signed him to cover) while Jags subbed into the role a handful of times. But it clearly wasn’t ideal and along with RWB cover it’s a gap we need to address – we were very fortunate that there were no unexpected injuries for the right side of the defence last season.

With the short turnaround and questions about how players are going to manage that, we need to be prepared for having to respond to more absences I think this season. Ideally a decent player that can cover both RCB/RWB could be signed (which is what I believe we looked for with Retsos).

Presumably, he just wasn't good enough. Bash has just won 2 player of the year awards. Arguably the biggest boots to fill in the squad. Whoever comes in to compete /replace him is going to have to be some player.

Maybe he wasn’t, but the lad had captained Olympiacos at just 18 and then Leverkusen splashed 16mil out on him. That’s some pedigree.
I don’t know... maybe he’s just not the same player after his injuries. Or maybe he wanted 1st team football and wasn’t prepared to wait for his chance (knowing that Bash is the 1st name on the team sheet)
Would’ve been a great addition in my opinion giving his strengths and flexibility of roles. Was a bit disappointed when he left. Seemed to get on with everyone as well.

That’s why we let CW address the concerns which I’m sure he will do.

The only rumours I've seen (and only via posters on here) have linked us to Ben Cabango & Joe Rodon, two young centre backs at Swansea City.

I've seen Rodon (McBurnie's best pal) play a number of times and he looks like he has a lot of potential. Yet to see Cabango play.

Luke Ayling but Leeds went and got themselves promoted, selfish twats.. we’ll go for him end of nxt season after they struggle and he gets swayed by the prospect of champions league football the following season

Kyle Walker
Mason Holgate
Ben Godfrey

Thought we'd all decided on Phil Jones?

Has Rodwell been released? Genuinely don't know as i haven't seen a released list issued by the club.

Id love to think that we have adopted the arsene wenger approach to the academy and have a similar style throughout where we are now already prepping some youngen to step up and fill that role already for gratis.. it would make sense really but more than likely wont happen!

Has Rodwell been released? Genuinely don't know as i haven't seen a released list issued by the club.

Contract extension here means to cover the July end of season. He’s on the released list as are the others listed below.

Andall-Gibbons, Ta'Shae Ruebin Jonathan
Clarke, Leon Marvin (Contract extension)
Duffy, Mark James
Ferguson, Keenan Tyrone Glendon
Freeman, Kieron Samuel (Contract extension)
Greaves, Oliver James
Gribbin, Callum Anthony
Heneghan, Benjamin John
Holmes, Ricky Lee
Jagielka, Philip Nikodem (Contract extension)
Leak-Blunt, Connor Jay (Contract extension)
Ompreon, Samuel
Rodwell, Jack Christian (Contract extension)
Sheppeard, Harry
Thomas, Nathan
York, Reece Cable
Young, Jake Alan

Haven’t we got any young centre halves coming through yet , would like to see us producing / schooling some of our own to play in our system ?

I just spoke to Ricky and there are some good players knocking around in Botswana's 2nd tier who are ready made for the role. Good deals on football index as well apparently if you get in early.

Think Rodwell was generally considered cover. If he ever recaptures his Everton form, he'd be perfect.

Re, Retsos, when he came on against Reading, I've never seen a more lost player in my life. I'm not taking it as any long term indication of his ability, but I do think that what his fee would have been, that may have scared us off somewhat.

I imagine we're still interested in Luke Woolfenden. Seems to fit the bill for long term Bash replacement.

Interesting looking at the number of players under contract by club...

View attachment 87437

Mmmmmmmmmmmm 🤔
And therein lies our problem. I do believe we need an academy worthy of the name. We need players coming through, options, everyone else seems to have players waiting to come through but us.

I know Wilder is on the case with this though, it's part of the legacy he wants to leave.

For the Umpteenthty time. The Academy have been working on filling the number 6 position for a long time. Plans are very advanced, I was able to witness those plans first hand at an Academy friendly at Parkgate. I've posted time & time again. No. Need. To. Worry.
20190720_063331.jpg

Back
Top Bottom